Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME.INI - Some questions...  (Read 1836 times)

Nodoyuna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2021, 12:44:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MAME.INI - Some questions...
« on: July 26, 2017, 06:03:29 am »
Hi

After a couple weeks of high excitement about CRT Emudriver and GroovyMAME, now I've settled down a little and took the time to read some guides and all... :D

I've entered my TV's Service Mode and have centered the screen, using a NeoGeo game (224p) for centering

So now, most 224p games are centered by default... Some have a little shift, but it's not as intrusive as before and I think it can be corrected in the ini for the game

I've tried some options in mame.ini and I'd like to know if they are good to be activated or not:

1) If I disable interlaced resolutions (intelace=0), the 480p are displayed as 240p, and are mostly centered too
2) If I disable automated modeline generation, most of the rest of the games are also centered, as they are displayed at 240p, but the refresh does not match... I'm a little confused about this, as games are running at 100%

Playing with these two options made 240p games centered, and vertical games, too.
The only non-centered games are the ones that are not 240p or can not be displayed as 240p, so games running at 256p and other resolutions, are non centered (but I can center them using edited modelines in mame.ini)

For me, the results are ok, as most games are centered now by default, but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, by disabling these two options, in order to have exact emulation

So, any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 am
  • retro maniac
Re: MAME.INI - Some questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 07:55:16 am »
When You disable modeline generation groovymame always takes modes set already in your system by VMMaker. So, when You have 256x240@60Hz and start 1943kai using 256x224@60Hz then target refresh match refresh for this resolution so basically everything is almost perfectly synchronized. But when You start Enigma II that needs 52 Hz You have difference 8 Hz so either triple buffering will be enabled by default and game will be forced to synchronize to 60 Hz but some frames will be lost or You can force game to adjust speed to 60 Hz but then game will much faster.

Nodoyuna

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2021, 12:44:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: MAME.INI - Some questions...
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 08:22:57 am »
Hi

Thanks for the answer

So, if I've understand correctly, I can safely disable modeline generation for 240p games, as they will be syncronized ok
By disabling interlaced modes, I can "conver" 480i games to 240p too, so I can disable modeline generation for them, too

Then I should enable modeline generation option for all those "non-240p" games and center them by editing the modeline or the crt specs for those games, right?

Thanks in advance