Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What Do I Have?  (Read 1808 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
What Do I Have?
« on: July 24, 2017, 01:05:07 pm »
OK... I have a few dedicated arcade drivers. I would love to put together a multi-driver but would PREFER to make any modification I do to the original game reversible.... of possible.

What is the best "starting point"?

Rush the Rock Alcatraz cabinet...
Rush 2049 cabinet...
Outrun 2 cabinet...
Need for Speed cabinet...

I do have an extra Immersiion FF PCB that I can use BTW if that helps.

I would PREFER to use the FF hardward in the cabinet ... and not have to purchase a PC FF unit.

What am I looking at?  What kind of potential do I have here already?

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
Re: What Do I Have?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 04:08:44 pm »
Outrun 2 - too much hassle to hack.  Would probably need a custom arduino interface.  I don't know if anyone's done it yet. 

I'm assuming the NFS cabinet only has an up/down shifter and uses a separate nitric board for the pedals.  If so, it's out.  (the fact that it already uses the immersion pcb and PC compatible monitor might put it back in the running though)

Rush the Rock and Rush 2049. 
Both use Happ setups that would be compatible with an immersion board, but you'd have to make your own wiring harness.
If both have 4 speed shifters it would come down to which monitor is easier to interface with a PC or which one has more buttons on the CP.

I'd want the 4 speed for the sega games, but if more modern PC games are important, the Up/Down sequential shifter will work better with those.

That's my quick opinion anyway.

EDIT: Some discussion of the Nytric board in the NFS here, but it doesn't sound like anyone came to a solution: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152492.msg1596562.html#msg1596562
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:11:17 pm by BadMouth »