Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: It is time to start the Racing Cockpit project!!  (Read 4598 times)

dgrams2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 06:00:04 pm
It is time to start the Racing Cockpit project!!
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:45:57 pm »
Its time for me to stop talking and start building.
Picked up a new racing seat off ebay for $89 shipped, already have the Thrustmaster Red Ferrari Racing Wheel... so it is time to start building up a frame.

Going to go off of the frame that Sim Racing put together, with some modifications to some of the board sizes, tweaking design just a bit - but the biggest difference is that I want my unit to be portable.  I want to be able to move it from the upstairs and store it in the basement when not in use.

For that, I will be be able to split the frame into two using clamps connect/disconnect.  (Can't think of what those types of clamps are called.. help me out here. LOL -  Where you put the hook end of the clamp through a hole a press down to lock.. you know what I'm talking about!)   ;D.   
Chair itself is like 28 to 30lbs... and then add the wood for under the chair... and you are talking.. uh.. more.   Just heavy enough to carry kind of easily up and down flights of stairs.

We will start off with some pics of the chair, and the framing for under the chair (Today's portion of the project - after running to Menards to buy about $15 of materials.

I did end up getting the slider bar on the chair also, and have the chair bolted to the wood frame... but I don't seem to have a picture of it.  More will come as I continue.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:56:12 pm by dgrams2000 »

dgrams2000

• Offline Offline
Re: It is time to start the Racing Cockpit project!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 11:30:28 am »
For that, I will be be able to split the frame into two using clamps connect/disconnect.  (Can't think of what those types of clamps are called.. help me out here. LOL -  Where you put the hook end of the clamp through a hole a press down to lock.. you know what I'm talking about!)   ;D

LOL.  Clamps like we use inside control panels...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Control-Panel-Clamp-Lock-Down-Latch-New-Set-of-2-JAMMA-Multicade-Pinball-/221564713850

Are these kind of things something you can buy in a normal hardware store?  What are they called?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 04:25:35 pm »
Lock down clamps.  $3.75 is actually a good price so it might be cheaper to get them online.  You could do Like I did and have the pedal/steering section slid into the seat area.  I really need to take new pics and finish setting that up. 

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 03:06:28 pm »
Good start! I will be watching this one closely.

dgrams2000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 10:50:18 am »
Good start! I will be watching this one closely.
Planning on finishing the build (not stain or finish...) this weekend and getting some good racing in later Saturday or Sunday...
(As long as my lock clamps show up in the mail today or tomorrow.)

dgrams2000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 09:25:07 pm »
Made lots of progress this weekend.  Got as far as to get the unit up in the living room for some racing action.

I will add some pictures now... some more in another day or so...

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 01:49:55 am »
Looking good man

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:32:56 am »
Up and racing! That's the important part!  :applaud:

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 06:04:39 pm »
After mounting your seat did you have any issues with it sliding when adjusting the seat position? I just mounted mine and its super stiff now.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 09:03:42 am »
Project looking good, I admire you and all who do these from scratch.

Question to OP or anyone else: I got a racing cockpit from someone else but it has no sliding tracks for the seat; his solution was to slide the pedals. I don't know about you but that's a real pain in the butt.  Can someone recommend the hardware I need to buy to add the tracks/assembly so it can either be like a car or an arcade seat?  The seat I'm using is very much like an outrun arcade seat, where there are stereo speakers on either side of the head so yes, that means I have to take into account speaker wires for the big speaker under the seat and the speaker on either side of the head need slack.  This is probably why I think the original creator of this racing cockpit decided to make the seat unmovable, less risk of breaking the speaker wire.  Yeah, just no, need to change this as demo'ing to kids is driving me nuts :)

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 03:18:15 pm »
Project looking good, I admire you and all who do these from scratch.

Question to OP or anyone else: I got a racing cockpit from someone else but it has no sliding tracks for the seat; his solution was to slide the pedals. I don't know about you but that's a real pain in the butt.  Can someone recommend the hardware I need to buy to add the tracks/assembly so it can either be like a car or an arcade seat?  The seat I'm using is very much like an outrun arcade seat, where there are stereo speakers on either side of the head so yes, that means I have to take into account speaker wires for the big speaker under the seat and the speaker on either side of the head need slack.  This is probably why I think the original creator of this racing cockpit decided to make the seat unmovable, less risk of breaking the speaker wire.  Yeah, just no, need to change this as demo'ing to kids is driving me nuts :)

I am sure there are a few places to look.
https://na.suzohapp.com/wp/search.p?Q=seat

Although the seat on mine slides fine I am retro fitting something so the entire wheel, pedal base slides forward and back. Mines made from PVC so its probably lighter.

justagamergettingolder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 01:34:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 05:48:17 pm »
Getting there, man!  :applaud: By the time you have finished your project, before you start putting the pedal to the metal, make sure you fasten your seat belt! ;)

dgrams2000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 08:02:55 am »
Had to take a small break to take care of some personal things going on - but slowly started back up.   Started testing things as far as portability, sturdiness and actual gameplay before I move on for the final sanding and staining... And I think I will probably want to carpet the bottom as well... Then slap on all kinds of racing decals...  Still have not used the clamps yet.  Not quite sure I will need them as each piece is very heavy and sturdy already...

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:04:54 am by dgrams2000 »

dgrams2000

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 12:07:28 pm »
So... staining.   So the carpet you see in the last picture is brand new.
Last thing I want to do is use some kind of black stain... and have it rub off on the carpet.

I am okay with building things... Not much of a stainer or painter....  How do I stain this bad boy black and not have it rub off on the carpet?
Cover it up with some kind of sealer afterwards?   Are there long amounts of time that I should let the black dry?

Looking for an easy, but complete solution.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 01:54:38 pm »
Put a mat down.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 09:19:54 pm »
Since it's just regular 2x4s I don't think I would stain it (at least not the sides).  I would paint instead.  To reduce the possibility that it might ruin the carpet, I would get some of those nail-in furniture sliders.  The kind you get for dining room chairs.  That'll keep the whole thing above the carpet and it won't rub, which is how you'd probably make a stain.