Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mysterious Lines on Monitor  (Read 2569 times)

SuperGojira2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
  • Trying to learn...
Mysterious Lines on Monitor
« on: July 23, 2017, 06:32:35 pm »
So I posted this issue on my main thread but I got no answers. Hopefully someone can help me, on the top of the monitor are retrace lines. Apparently these can appear if the brightness on the back of the flyback is too high. However I've messed with both the brightness and focus pots and I cant get the lines to go away. I've tried pretty much everything but vertical and horizontal hold. Is my flyback dying? I hope not   :dunno Any ideas? Or should I let it be?

The lines (on top, they look less or more noticeable depending on the color): http://imgur.com/a/DGzAs

Back of the flyback (bottom is "screen", top is "focus"): http://imgur.com/a/FU4W3

EDIT: I never noticed any strange lines on the original PCB before I got the ArPiCade, and when it was at 720x240 the retrace lines were there but cut off. I have it at 320x240 and it's much more noticeable.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:37:23 pm by SuperGojira2001 »

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Trying to learn...
Re: Mysterious Lines on Monitor
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 03:09:00 pm »
No replies? Looks like I'm on my own  :angry:

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 03:24:40 pm »
Do they move with the image when you adjust the vertical height? If so, it's a problem in the horizontal deflection of your chassis.  Ignore it or replace your capacitors.

Retrace lines would be uniform across the image.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 04:00:31 pm »
Do they move with the image when you adjust the vertical height? If so, it's a problem in the horizontal deflection of your chassis.  Ignore it or replace your capacitors.

Retrace lines would be uniform across the image.

Yes they move with the image. I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace capacitors, oh boy.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 05:04:33 pm »
What capacitors should I be replacing or looking at?

Here's a pic if that helps:

http://imgur.com/a/rENkm

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 05:14:05 pm »
Figure out what the brand and model of that chassis is.  Nothing looks obviously wrong in the picture.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 05:23:35 pm »
Figure out what the brand and model of that chassis is.  Nothing looks obviously wrong in the picture.

I think it's an Irico 37SX110Y22-DC05 (thats what it says on the back of the tube). I'll try to find some sort of diagram of the chassis and see if I can find the capacitors that are linked to the horizontal deflection. 

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 06:06:43 pm »
I can't find anything on this chassis anywhere! I guess it wasn't used for a lot of things...anybody got a diagram of the capacitors or something so I know what to replace?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 10:19:40 pm »
The problem in the pic looks like vertical foldover to me. And replacing electrolyitics caps is the usual fix. You can just replace the ones in the vertical section, but if you can't figure out which ones those are an Arcade chassis won't have too many in total, only about 20-25 or so. Just replace them all.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 08:27:12 pm »
The problem in the pic looks like vertical foldover to me. And replacing electrolyitics caps is the usual fix. You can just replace the ones in the vertical section, but if you can't figure out which ones those are an Arcade chassis won't have too many in total, only about 20-25 or so. Just replace them all.

That's a lot of caps lol. I've never done something like this before xd.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:37:15 pm by SuperGojira2001 »

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:41:35 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 12:17:07 pm »
that is an very basic chassis, can you get a photo from the opposite side-so I can see if it uses an ic or two transistor for the vertical deflection

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 01:51:42 pm »
So, if I were you, I'd try messing around with the vertical size and the horizontal and vertical sync and see if you can't get this image to somewhere where it doesn't bother you too much.  Worth playing around with the Pi, too.  I'd change your Pi's overscan settings so that the image was vertically shrunk a little, and then use the V-size adjustment on your chassis to stretch it out and fill the screen. 

That thing could go years before the caps finally crap out and you have an unplayable monitor.  Sounds like it'll last 5 minutes if we turn you loose with a soldering iron on it.

:cheers:

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 03:53:55 pm »
So, if I were you, I'd try messing around with the vertical size and the horizontal and vertical sync and see if you can't get this image to somewhere where it doesn't bother you too much.  Worth playing around with the Pi, too.  I'd change your Pi's overscan settings so that the image was vertically shrunk a little, and then use the V-size adjustment on your chassis to stretch it out and fill the screen. 

That thing could go years before the caps finally crap out and you have an unplayable monitor.  Sounds like it'll last 5 minutes if we turn you loose with a soldering iron on it.

:cheers:

Before I sent the ArPiCade back I tried moving the image and messing with the overscan settings and I could not get them to go away. The lines would stick with the image even if I shrunk it with black bars on the top and bottom. I'm going to test the original PCB again to see if they come back, and if they don't then it's not the monitor.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 04:39:04 pm »
Ok I plugged the original PCB in and there were no strange lines. Maybe it had something to do with the resolution of the Pi, I have no clue. Still debating on selling the cabinet, takes up a lot of space too...  :-[