Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best/easiest way to mill out graphics in wood?  (Read 597 times)

bytestorm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Arcade collector from sweden!
Best/easiest way to mill out graphics in wood?
« on: July 23, 2017, 03:57:14 pm »
Hey :)

Not sure the title is describing enough, but lets say I would like to make a arcade stick housing in wood and mill some text or icons or whatever in it.
What would be the ideal solution? I have seen alot of nice housings and boxes with machine milled graphics and/or letters in the wood.. looks awesome. :)

Would like to do it myself but aint sure if there are any good solutions within reach?

I wouldnt mind buying a woodmill if its small but they cost a fortune right? Any tips?

coasterlvr

• Offline Offline
Re: Best/easiest way to mill out graphics in wood?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 06:54:06 pm »
i'd say cnc router or laser.  but you could also do it free hand with a dremel tool if you have a steady hand. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 07:05:54 pm »
I would like to make a arcade stick housing in wood and mill some text or icons or whatever in it.
What would be the ideal solution? I have seen alot of nice housings and boxes with machine milled graphics and/or letters in the wood.. looks awesome. :)

Would like to do it myself but aint sure if there are any good solutions within reach?

I wouldnt mind buying a woodmill if its small but they cost a fortune right? Any tips?
  Having someone else do it:
Contact a nearby woodworking store, plaque maker, craft store, or trophy shop.

Doing it yourself:
Check out the Mostly Printed CNC here.

The regular "525" version should work well for you, but the "LowRider" version is probably too large.

A YouTube search for "MPCNC" provides tons of useful and informative videos.

The standard build size has a 2' x 2' cutting area (600mm x 600mm) but you can build yours larger or smaller.  ;D

You can mount a variety of tools on the MPCNC like a router spindle, drag knife, pen, foam cutter, 3D print extruder, engraving laser, plasma cutter, welder. . .   :o

Scott

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:09:15 pm »
I would like to make a arcade stick housing in wood and mill some text or icons or whatever in it.

Having someone else do it:
Contact a nearby woodworking store, plaque maker, craft store, or trophy shop.

Doing it yourself:
Check out the Mostly Printed CNC here.

The regular "525" version should work well for you, but the "LowRider" version is probably too large.

A YouTube search for "MPCNC" provides tons of useful and informative videos.

The standard build size has a 2' x 2' cutting area (600mm x 600mm) but you can build yours larger or smaller.  ;D

You can mount a variety of tools on the MPCNC like a router spindle, drag knife, pen, foam cutter, 3D print extruder, engraving laser, plasma cutter, welder. . .   :o

Scott
Welding splatter, heat, , and the problems associated with plasma (especially in a industrial setting) would in Jenns opinion make short work of that, rendering it useless.... But back to the O/P original question, Design concept seems curious to me, structurally speaking steel/ink is stronger than wood and less prone to fatigue.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:15:48 pm by jennifer »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:54:12 pm »
Welding splatter, heat, , and the problems associated with plasma (especially in a industrial setting) would in Jenns opinion make short work of that, rendering it useless
I wouldn't want to use an MPCNC for plasma/welding in a high-volume industrial setting, but it's fine for a low-cost, low-volume setup.

MPCNC plasma cutter

Everything I've read about the MPCNC indicates that it holds up surprisingly well, even when milling aluminum with the right combination of spindle, bit, cut depth, and feed rate.   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:59:56 pm by PL1 »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 04:13:08 am »
That does seem to be a quite interesting machine after review.... I suddenly understand why old world craftsmanship is considered fallacy to the the new gen.  :-\
    As for and "easy way" to put graphics on wood, A stencil and course sandblast sand is quite effective, the stain actually will offset the image.... Or a branding iron for more of a burnt in look.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:41:54 am by jennifer »

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade collector from sweden!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 01:03:36 pm »
Hey! Wow happy to see so many comments :D

There are indeed some interesting alternatives around! I will mainly work with wood, but if it could mill PCB material too that would be a nice bonus!

Maybe I should add that I dont have that much space, and I live in a appartment så some alternatives might be a bit inconvenient, but a smaller CNC router / mill (same thing?) would be great.

Some brands I have found:
X-Carve - Somewhat on the expensive side :/.. looks to do a great job thou..
MillRight CNC M3 - Cheap but I havent checked any videos of it yet.
Zen Toolworks CNC DIY KIT 7x7
THE WHITTLECNC

Sandpaper & soldering iron will not be enough :)

Will check some youtube vids tonight and search some more about the MPCNC !!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31