Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best/easiest way to mill out graphics in wood?  (Read 3345 times)

bytestorm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 09:09:49 am
  • Arcade collector from sweden!
Best/easiest way to mill out graphics in wood?
« on: July 23, 2017, 03:57:14 pm »
Hey :)

Not sure the title is describing enough, but lets say I would like to make a arcade stick housing in wood and mill some text or icons or whatever in it.
What would be the ideal solution? I have seen alot of nice housings and boxes with machine milled graphics and/or letters in the wood.. looks awesome. :)

Would like to do it myself but aint sure if there are any good solutions within reach?

I wouldnt mind buying a woodmill if its small but they cost a fortune right? Any tips?

coasterlvr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2023, 09:02:24 pm
Re: Best/easiest way to mill out graphics in wood?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 06:54:06 pm »
i'd say cnc router or laser.  but you could also do it free hand with a dremel tool if you have a steady hand. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:35:46 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 07:05:54 pm »
I would like to make a arcade stick housing in wood and mill some text or icons or whatever in it.
What would be the ideal solution? I have seen alot of nice housings and boxes with machine milled graphics and/or letters in the wood.. looks awesome. :)

Would like to do it myself but aint sure if there are any good solutions within reach?

I wouldnt mind buying a woodmill if its small but they cost a fortune right? Any tips?
  Having someone else do it:
Contact a nearby woodworking store, plaque maker, craft store, or trophy shop.

Doing it yourself:
Check out the Mostly Printed CNC here.

The regular "525" version should work well for you, but the "LowRider" version is probably too large.

A YouTube search for "MPCNC" provides tons of useful and informative videos.

The standard build size has a 2' x 2' cutting area (600mm x 600mm) but you can build yours larger or smaller.  ;D

You can mount a variety of tools on the MPCNC like a router spindle, drag knife, pen, foam cutter, 3D print extruder, engraving laser, plasma cutter, welder. . .   :o

Scott

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:09:15 pm »
I would like to make a arcade stick housing in wood and mill some text or icons or whatever in it.

Having someone else do it:
Contact a nearby woodworking store, plaque maker, craft store, or trophy shop.

Doing it yourself:
Check out the Mostly Printed CNC here.

The regular "525" version should work well for you, but the "LowRider" version is probably too large.

A YouTube search for "MPCNC" provides tons of useful and informative videos.

The standard build size has a 2' x 2' cutting area (600mm x 600mm) but you can build yours larger or smaller.  ;D

You can mount a variety of tools on the MPCNC like a router spindle, drag knife, pen, foam cutter, 3D print extruder, engraving laser, plasma cutter, welder. . .   :o

Scott
Welding splatter, heat, , and the problems associated with plasma (especially in a industrial setting) would in Jenns opinion make short work of that, rendering it useless.... But back to the O/P original question, Design concept seems curious to me, structurally speaking steel/ink is stronger than wood and less prone to fatigue.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:15:48 pm by jennifer »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:35:46 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:54:12 pm »
Welding splatter, heat, , and the problems associated with plasma (especially in a industrial setting) would in Jenns opinion make short work of that, rendering it useless
I wouldn't want to use an MPCNC for plasma/welding in a high-volume industrial setting, but it's fine for a low-cost, low-volume setup.

Everything I've read about the MPCNC indicates that it holds up surprisingly well, even when with the right combination of spindle, bit, cut depth, and feed rate.   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:59:56 pm by PL1 »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 04:13:08 am »
That does seem to be a quite interesting machine after review.... I suddenly understand why old world craftsmanship is considered fallacy to the the new gen.  :-\
    As for and "easy way" to put graphics on wood, A stencil and course sandblast sand is quite effective, the stain actually will offset the image.... Or a branding iron for more of a burnt in look.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:41:54 am by jennifer »

bytestorm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 09:09:49 am
  • Arcade collector from sweden!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 01:03:36 pm »
Hey! Wow happy to see so many comments :D

There are indeed some interesting alternatives around! I will mainly work with wood, but if it could mill PCB material too that would be a nice bonus!

Maybe I should add that I dont have that much space, and I live in a appartment så some alternatives might be a bit inconvenient, but a smaller CNC router / mill (same thing?) would be great.

Some brands I have found:
X-Carve - Somewhat on the expensive side :/.. looks to do a great job thou..
MillRight CNC M3 - Cheap but I havent checked any videos of it yet.
Zen Toolworks CNC DIY KIT 7x7
THE WHITTLECNC

Sandpaper & soldering iron will not be enough :)

Will check some youtube vids tonight and search some more about the MPCNC !!