Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help wanted - powering Button LED's  (Read 1915 times)

SpyhunterUK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2017, 05:20:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help wanted - powering Button LED's
« on: July 23, 2017, 05:06:14 am »
I have the iPac Ultimate board and need to power the Button LED's from this board.  The connector supplid has the following Molex end (see attached).

My uestion - is that I have no Molex connectors on my motherboard, only SATA.  How can I connct this - whats the best method and what adater/connector will I need as I have looked on eBay and there a re lots of different types :(  Help!
Thanks.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:12:36 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Help wanted - powering Button LED's
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 06:28:12 am »
I have the iPac Ultimate board and need to power the Button LED's from this board.  The connector supplid has the following Molex end (see attached).

My uestion - is that I have no Molex connectors on my motherboard, only SATA.  How can I connct this - whats the best method and what adater/connector will I need as I have looked on eBay and there a re lots of different types :(  Help!
Thanks.
The connector you are looking for should be coming from the power supply, not the SATA data ports on the motherboard.

With a SATA to Molex splitter like this one you can also power the coin door light mentioned in your other post.  (Mfr. webpage here if you want more details)

You may want to swap the coin door incandescent bulb for an LED -- longer life, lower current draw.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:38:01 am by PL1 »

SpyhunterUK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 06:48:25 am »
thanks but i have no molex connector to connect it to? (on motherboard)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 07:18:18 am »
thanks but i have no molex connector to connect it to? (on motherboard)
:banghead:
The connector you are looking for should be coming from the power supply, not the SATA data ports on the motherboard.

Look at the cables coming from the power supply -- there will be either Molex or SATA power connectors to power hard drives, fans, etc.

Find a SATA power cable with a connector like this one coming from your computer's power supply.

The LED power chain looks like this:

Power supply SATA power cable --- SATA to Molex splitter (linked above) --- Molex cable in OP (between the trackball and USB cable in the pic below) --- Ultimate I/O board.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:21:04 am by PL1 »

SpyhunterUK

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 08:42:16 am »
So it's mater of joining the SATA cable to the end of the Molex, as simple as that?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:54:18 pm »
So it's mater of joining the SATA cable to the end of the Molex, as simple as that?
Coming out of the power supply is a SATA power cable like this.

Connect that to the left side of this splitter cable.

Splice either the 5v or 12v wires from the upper right connector to the coin door lights.

Connect the splitter's bottom right Molex to the Ultimate I/O LED power cable. (center top)

With that, you now have power to the coin door lights and LED power to the Ultimate I/O board.

Each RGB LED button will also need these 4 wires: + (operating voltage provided by the power chain above), Red ground channel, Green ground channel, and Blue ground channel.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:03:25 pm by PL1 »

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:52:59 pm »
I use one of these to power the same board and my marquee leds. https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=2372&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhva31ceo1QIVgrXACh1WAANNEAQYASABEgJAGPD_BwE

Plugs into a molex from the power supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk