Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Living in a mobile home  (Read 11445 times)

dkersten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
Re: Living in a mobile home
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 03:05:13 pm »
I lived in a trailer in a trailer park for 5 years.  It was a MAJOR upgrade from any apartment, including the high dollar "luxury" apartment I am in at the moment. 

It was cheap living, and had benefits.  It also had some negatives. 

Top negatives were depreciation, the property it was on, weather related issues, and the stigma related to the type of home.  It was an older trailer though, so more blankets in the winter, keep the swamp cooler working in the summer, and live with all the other issues.  They really weren't all that bad, to be perfectly honest.  And I used to laugh at the people who lived in the trailer park but had the hot tubs, the boat, the ATV's, the nice sports car, the big truck, and an RV.  I couldn't believe someone would live in a place for poor people and then spend money on toys that will never retain any value.  But as I grew older I realized that a home doesn't need to be the most expensive thing you own, and those people with all those toys are probably happier than someone with a nice house and nothing to do each weekend because they are spending all their money on a house.  The only criticism I have for people like that is if they are buying those toys on credit and can't afford the trailer, let alone the toys.  The ironic thing is now it is popular to build a small mobile home (aka tiny house) and live on the cheap so you can afford your toy heavy lifestyle. 

The trailer I lived in was 14x70 (almost 1000 sq ft) and the loan payment was $189 per month.  The lot rent was $120 per month.  It was REALLY nice living for 5 years with my monthly housing payment being just over $300 per month.  It beat the hell out of a $1000 mortgage, let alone a $2-3k mortgage.  I can live with a deflated ego and extra blankets in the winter for that kind of savings, particularly when money was tight.

$150k seems too risky to me, but I don't know the area you are in, so I can't really judge that very well.  Just be prepared to take a loss, so if you start with $50k, and lose 10%, it's gonna be easier than starting with $150k and losing that same 10%.  I see it as the fastest way to resume your desired lifestyle within your budget.  Anything else you are compromising on the space you want (or the flexibility of fixing it up).  Just be prepared to lose money when you move on.

When my family first moved here to Montana, my parents were able to scrape together enough to buy a double wide mobile.  Lived there for 4 years.  When they went to sell, they ran into issues with the trailer park wanting the lot for a new customer (even though our trailer was brand new when we moved in), and had to sue to allow them to sell it in the existing lot.  When I sold mine, I had to argue to keep it in the lot because my trailer was old and they wanted someone to move a newer one in.  In both cases, if the lot had been removed from the deal, we would have been selling at a MASSIVE loss.  Nobody wants to pay well for a trailer without a place to put it.

One more thing:  A double wide mobile is NOT similar to an RV or a "tiny house".  It is just a premanufactured home that has (or had) axles under it so it could be moved into place.  Two very different life styles.  A large doublewide can be over 2000 sq ft and in many cases most people would never be able to tell the difference if the home was sitting on a foundation on a regular lot.  Apartment < Mobile < House.  It is that simple to me, and a tiny home is under all of them.  A condo or townhouse is right between Apartment and Mobile because you are sharing walls and basically live in an apartment you own instead of rent. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2017, 05:48:29 pm »
You've got to watch about double wides.  They are like a pre-manufactured home in that they cost a lot, but they aren't in terms of quality.  If you don't need the space I would suggest avoiding them. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2017, 06:05:04 pm »
    Trailers do not hold their value, like driving a car off the lot, the thing is you don't expect it to, Borrowing money on it as some kind of retirement fund seems silly (who does that?) with expectations of a mortgage saving the day.... However in practical terms it doesn't need too, the doorways are to small to move arcade machines in or out, so you need to take a chainsaw to it  destroying its value anyway, The floors also create issue, they are 1/2" ply in the older ones, quickly warping under the stress of heavy games being moved, and the new ones have particle wood, quickly turning to mush when the roof leaks.... SO, unless you want to dump money into it, it is a poor decision.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 09:29:36 pm »
I looked back through the thread trying to find the part where I was asking for financial advice - I didn't, I don't want it and I don't need it. Thanks people.

I saw it first hand today, it looks great. Lots of privacy, a hot tub, air conditioning, enough room for me to have dedicated music making space and large enough for my 3 cats to not get bored in. I dropped an offer and it was accepted immediately, looks like I can move in August 31 unless the mortgage broker finds some way to ruin this for me. And, since last week when I first found it, they dropped the price to $140k. So that's a bonus.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:57 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2017, 11:50:32 pm »
Lol, I knew a dude with 22 vids, 3 pins, and a snooker table in a double wide.  Ignore Jennifer.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2017, 04:09:13 am »
If you are happy with the mobile home, go for it and be happy.  You definately deserve it.  :cheers:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2017, 01:26:18 pm »
If you are happy with the mobile home, go for it and be happy.  You definately deserve it.  :cheers:

Thanks. Yeah it's about time things went my way. I had a mostly good day yesterday with the house thing, but I was doing my motorcyclke licence test and the computer went down at the issuing branch. Then I had a rotten day at work because people don't understand my job and don't see how it's an issue when 23 microphones go to the wrong actors and I'm supposed to just make it work. Stupid actors can't be trusted to pick up the mics with their name on it!

Here's some pics of the place.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10159042655520246.1073741873.895055245&type=1&l=5a68d1b348

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Living in a mobile home
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2017, 01:34:19 pm »

Thanks. Yeah it's about time things went my way. I had a mostly good day yesterday with the house thing, but I was doing my motorcyclke licence test and the computer went down at the issuing branch. Then I had a rotten day at work because people don't understand my job and don't see how it's an issue when 23 microphones go to the wrong actors and I'm supposed to just make it work. Stupid actors can't be trusted to pick up the mics with their name on it!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10159042655520246.1073741873.895055245&type=1&l=5a68d1b348

That's nice, I love the patio.

I'm out here, we wouldn't call it a trailer, we call that prefab housing.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2017, 03:18:01 pm »
Around here we call that a "Big-Ass Trailer" :)  With the yard work I can see more of the 150k.  It's a bit steep for around here, but property values vary widely of course. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2017, 04:54:16 pm »
Alright, you can probably live there and still get laid occasionally.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2017, 09:04:55 pm »
I'm out here, we wouldn't call it a trailer, we call that prefab housing.

This.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2017, 10:01:35 pm »
Ignore Jennifer.

I always ignore him. Also I make my cabs to fit in regular 30" doorways so no problems there.

I don't have a problem in that category, the problem I have is that's all I can get since I work so much and have no time for a social life.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:09:03 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2017, 05:42:06 am »

Ok, that looks nice. But why is it called a trailer? Doesn't look like you could tow it! That looks like a regular house to me  ???

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2017, 07:32:45 am »
Ignore Jennifer.

I always ignore him. Also I make my cabs to fit in regular 30" doorways so no problems there.

Totally can see why your divorced... +1 HER for goldbricking your first house, and leaving you the cats. :cheers:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:05:23 am by jennifer »

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2017, 09:27:01 am »
Just be thankful you don't live in the UK. Over here, the land alone would be worth several times what you paid for your "trailer" (which as others have already pointed out, would be regarded as a house in most parts of the world).

If that's a typical example of a trailer in the US, then I'd be more than happy to be described as "trailer trash".
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2017, 10:28:55 am »
We have it pretty good here, but we're full so stay out.

:cheers:

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2017, 12:09:34 pm »
you have a fenced in backyard and a patio it is more like a small house? The fact that it is a mobile home... are you just parking on that land or are you buying that lot?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2017, 12:42:21 pm »
It is called a mobile home here in canada, or a prefab. They build them then drop them on a foundation of sorts, then add some skirting to make it look pretty. They are pretty much non mobile after that. If you get a community of them they call it a trailer park. I dunno why you are all so fixated on this. In different parts of the world, we use different terminology.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2017, 12:47:02 pm »
ya
around here at 3 of the parks are double wide on cinder block's
they are used year round
1=ok trailer park
2=pondarosia trailer park
3=springfield trailer park
all have double wides

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2017, 03:46:20 pm »

soft side tub? Does it have to be packed away in winter?
Has my deck and patio and back yard beat.(work in progress).
Also beats the hell out of apartment living far as i'm concerned.

FYI - There is a reason divorce ends up costing so much.
Because it's worth it.  ;D

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:57:06 pm by nitrogen_widget »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2017, 03:53:29 pm »

As long as he doesn't lead with "I got a hot tub......"

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2017, 05:18:53 pm »
Just be thankful you don't live in the UK. Over here, the land alone would be worth several times what you paid for your "trailer" (which as others have already pointed out, would be regarded as a house in most parts of the world).

If that's a typical example of a trailer in the US, then I'd be more than happy to be described as "trailer trash".

Except Trailer Trash in the UK means lazy louts and yobbos, that live in council houses.  I would not want to be associated to neither ilk.

People live in trailers due to their circumstances, in the UK we would call them "pikeys".  You got friggin loads of holiday caravans dotted all around the north and south of England.  I don't know about Scotland, as it is grim up north, they might call it something else.  ;)

If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.