Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aimtrak not working with PS2  (Read 510 times)

Kirkanos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade!
Aimtrak not working with PS2
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:47:44 am »
I have an Aimtrak Lightgun without recoil and am trying to get it to work with a PS2 but it does not.

I have read through the setup guide and the PS2 guide but to no avail.

When I first tried it I could get into calibration mode by holding the the 2 buttons when turning the PS2 on but I couldn't do anything once I was there. I never saw any cursor and even though I could shoot (the screen flashed and I got a shooting sound), I couldn't do anything else.

I did manage to start Time Crisis II with the gun and it seemed that I could shoot things but only if I only made minute gun movements. The reload also worked when I moved the gun away from the screen.

I eventually found that the sensor was not working as the connector that connects to the sensor PCB was not fully connected. When using a mobile phone camera, I could not see the LEDs.

Once I pushed the connector on more securely the phone camera picked up the LEDs without any problems and continues to detect the sensors as being on/active.

I plugged it all back into the PS2 and again I could start calibration mode by holding the 2 buttons but again I could not see a cursor! I unplugged and re-plugged and since then I cannot even get into calibration mode. Nothing happens when I press the buttons.

Notes

The gun works perfectly on a PC. I can move the cursor and I can select items by pressing the trigger or if I configure the buttons I can use these to select.

Using the Aimtrak v2.0 config utility on my PC:
  • SENSOR VIEW CHECK works (although the red dot moves in the opposite direction to gun i.e. left is right and up is down)
  • SHOW DATA works. I can see the X and Y coordinates etc changing. Nothing appears in the Cal Status field
  • Firmware: 9.19
  • The gun is set for ID:1
  • Calibrate works
  • Button Assignments (changed numerous times), On and Off screen configs being the same and set as
    • TRIG: Mouse Left
    • LEFT: GP Button 1 with Enable Cal set
    • RIGHT: GP Button 2 with Enable Cal set
  • Tilt / Z Correction: Continuous
  • Recoil: 2.5 (the gun does not have recoil)
  • IR Gain: 4
  • Disable Auto Gain: Checked
  • Cal Delay (Secs): 5
  • Emulate Mouse
As mentioned above, these are the current settings. I have changed all them to different settings previously.

I have also tested using both Time Crisis II and III and tested on both a Slim and Fat PS2.

Titchgamer

• Online Online
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Aimtrak not working with PS2
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:46:25 pm »
I have never used mine with a PS2 so cant really help much sorry!

Your best bet will probably be to contact Andy at Ultimarc directly and hopefully he can help you out.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Present for you Grandfather...
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:53:56 am »
A good reason to skip Ultimarc.  Nothing but problems lately.  ::)
"I really do feel pity for those who go out of their way to perform a personal slight, than taking the effort in joining the conversation and creating some useful dialogue which would benefit the persons' perusal of this topic.  Yet where would we be without the persistant antagonist?"

Titchgamer

• Online Online
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 03:49:32 am »
What problems would they be the Ark?

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Present for you Grandfather...
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:50:34 pm »

Oh boy! Where to start?
"I really do feel pity for those who go out of their way to perform a personal slight, than taking the effort in joining the conversation and creating some useful dialogue which would benefit the persons' perusal of this topic.  Yet where would we be without the persistant antagonist?"

Titchgamer

• Online Online
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 01:55:58 pm »

Oh boy! Where to start?

The beginning is usually a good starting point.

Kirkanos

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 02:49:03 pm »
I'm thinking that based on further investigations my Aimtrak issue might be down to upgrading to the latest firmware: 9.19.

Before I upgraded I was on 1.3 but this just confuses the hell out of me when I now read (must have been a bit too eager to do the upgrade to read this note), that you shouldn't upgrade to a version with a different first digit!

I could only find one upgrade version though so I used that. It just happened to be 9.19.

How do I rollback or even find the latest 1.xx firmware version?

Also, the PS2 setup guide states that the games were tested with version 8.11 but the *IMPORTANT* note seems to suggest that I can therefore never reach this 'zenith' of a firmware version.

I noticed another poster had the same question and their problem got resolved but they never gave any hint on how. Again, rather frustrating.

I have emailed Andy @ Ultimark but if anyone can point me to a fix in the meantime, it would be much appreciated.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31