Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aimtrak not working with PS2  (Read 5063 times)

Kirkanos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2017, 02:57:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade!
Aimtrak not working with PS2
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:47:44 am »
I have an Aimtrak Lightgun without recoil and am trying to get it to work with a PS2 but it does not.

I have read through the setup guide and the PS2 guide but to no avail.

When I first tried it I could get into calibration mode by holding the the 2 buttons when turning the PS2 on but I couldn't do anything once I was there. I never saw any cursor and even though I could shoot (the screen flashed and I got a shooting sound), I couldn't do anything else.

I did manage to start Time Crisis II with the gun and it seemed that I could shoot things but only if I only made minute gun movements. The reload also worked when I moved the gun away from the screen.

I eventually found that the sensor was not working as the connector that connects to the sensor PCB was not fully connected. When using a mobile phone camera, I could not see the LEDs.

Once I pushed the connector on more securely the phone camera picked up the LEDs without any problems and continues to detect the sensors as being on/active.

I plugged it all back into the PS2 and again I could start calibration mode by holding the 2 buttons but again I could not see a cursor! I unplugged and re-plugged and since then I cannot even get into calibration mode. Nothing happens when I press the buttons.

Notes

The gun works perfectly on a PC. I can move the cursor and I can select items by pressing the trigger or if I configure the buttons I can use these to select.

Using the Aimtrak v2.0 config utility on my PC:
  • SENSOR VIEW CHECK works (although the red dot moves in the opposite direction to gun i.e. left is right and up is down)
  • SHOW DATA works. I can see the X and Y coordinates etc changing. Nothing appears in the Cal Status field
  • Firmware: 9.19
  • The gun is set for ID:1
  • Calibrate works
  • Button Assignments (changed numerous times), On and Off screen configs being the same and set as
    • TRIG: Mouse Left
    • LEFT: GP Button 1 with Enable Cal set
    • RIGHT: GP Button 2 with Enable Cal set
  • Tilt / Z Correction: Continuous
  • Recoil: 2.5 (the gun does not have recoil)
  • IR Gain: 4
  • Disable Auto Gain: Checked
  • Cal Delay (Secs): 5
  • Emulate Mouse
As mentioned above, these are the current settings. I have changed all them to different settings previously.

I have also tested using both Time Crisis II and III and tested on both a Slim and Fat PS2.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Aimtrak not working with PS2
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:46:25 pm »
I have never used mine with a PS2 so cant really help much sorry!

Your best bet will probably be to contact Andy at Ultimarc directly and hopefully he can help you out.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:53:56 am »
A good reason to skip Ultimarc.  Nothing but problems lately.  ::)
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 03:49:32 am »
What problems would they be the Ark?

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:50:34 pm »

Oh boy! Where to start?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 01:55:58 pm »

Oh boy! Where to start?

The beginning is usually a good starting point.

Kirkanos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2017, 02:57:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 02:49:03 pm »
I'm thinking that based on further investigations my Aimtrak issue might be down to upgrading to the latest firmware: 9.19.

Before I upgraded I was on 1.3 but this just confuses the hell out of me when I now read (must have been a bit too eager to do the upgrade to read this note), that you shouldn't upgrade to a version with a different first digit!

I could only find one upgrade version though so I used that. It just happened to be 9.19.

How do I rollback or even find the latest 1.xx firmware version?

Also, the PS2 setup guide states that the games were tested with version 8.11 but the *IMPORTANT* note seems to suggest that I can therefore never reach this 'zenith' of a firmware version.

I noticed another poster had the same question and their problem got resolved but they never gave any hint on how. Again, rather frustrating.

I have emailed Andy @ Ultimark but if anyone can point me to a fix in the meantime, it would be much appreciated.