Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: best way to clean up cut lines?  (Read 3880 times)

Erzak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 03:47:45 pm
  • First cabinet complete, now about that software...
best way to clean up cut lines?
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:50:00 pm »
Started my first build this weekend, and finished cutting out the first side panel (upright cabinet).  Have a few places where I used a jigsaw since I couldn't get the circular saw in due to angle, spacing, etc. and a few of those areas are a bit wavier than I'd like.  What's a good way to clean those up?  Elbow grease and a file and/or sandpaper?  As of this weekend, I have a new router that I'm guessing maybe would work for this in conjunction with a straight edge or something?  I'm guessing that T-molding will help mask a lot of little imperfections, but I don't want to assume that and find out later that something looks really wonky.  Of course, I'm probably the only one who will notice if something's a little wonky, but it'll bug me!  :)

Thanks,
Eric

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: best way to clean up cut lines?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:39:38 pm »
On the #1 panel, just go at it with a sanding block.  For #2 panel, trace the #1 panel and rough cut *almost* to the line.  Then clamp the two panels together and put a template bit with a bearing into that new router and run it around the panels.

Boom!  Two exact panels.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:56:01 pm »
   A oscillating spindle sander works very well, but could be considered an investment in your future as far as tools go.... I assume you have a guide line to go off, body putty , file,  a range of paper, and a pile of dedication can get the radii correct. When its perfect  then use that as a template to make new pieces with your router....However If its not too bad (and with realistic expectations) You could prime sand, prime sand and work it close enough to be covered by a "T".

surtr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 07:52:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:35:58 pm »
I had a similar issue.  I clamped a straight edged piece of plywood over the wavy cut and used a router with a flush trim bit.  Turned that wavy edge straight.  Did for all the straight edges on one side, then clamped the (now straight) side on top of the second side (which I purposely cut about 1/16 - 1/8 inch larger than the first) and ran the router with the flush trim bit around it.  Worked beautifully.

Erzak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 03:47:45 pm
  • First cabinet complete, now about that software...
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:02:22 am »
I had a similar issue.  I clamped a straight edged piece of plywood over the wavy cut and used a router with a flush trim bit.  Turned that wavy edge straight.  Did for all the straight edges on one side, then clamped the (now straight) side on top of the second side (which I purposely cut about 1/16 - 1/8 inch larger than the first) and ran the router with the flush trim bit around it.  Worked beautifully.

I have since realized that a router is a wonderful thing!  Makes a lot more sawdust than a saw, but as you said, it works beautifully!