Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Starting first build!  (Read 2929 times)

Erzak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 03:47:45 pm
  • First cabinet complete, now about that software...
Starting first build!
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:31:23 pm »
Started my first build this weekend, using the "Cabinet Plans 2" from www.arcadecab.com as a starting point and modifying things to fit a larger LCD monitor, and possibly a larger control panel.  Got the first side cut out today and after I clean up a few lines, will transfer the outline to a 2nd sheet of plywood and cut it as well, AFTER I practice using my new router on some scrap wood...

Question reg. T-molding slotting: do most folks run T-mold on all edges, back of the cabinet included?  I am guessing it would look nicer to have T-molding all the way around?

Thanks,
Eric

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Starting first build!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 01:24:08 pm »
Yes :) I do not remember seeing one that doesn't have T-molding all the way round. Maybe if it was a small machine hanging on a wall you wouldn't want it round the back. Other than that wrap it all the way and then the cut can be located at the back or at the bottom where nobody will see it.

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:25:18 am »
Figured I should post a picture of the final result.  Thanks to everyone here and elsewhere who provided building tips and such.  There are a number of small flaws that I see but nothing that anyone else has noticed.  Still working to get everything setup as far as software goes, but I know that will be an ongoing thing.  MAME is running fine, using F.E.E.L. for the time being, since it's using an old P4 running XP.  The PC may change sooner than thought, as it's started having some issues in the last few days.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 02:24:58 pm »
Real nice wood finish.  Looks great without side art!!

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 05:11:18 pm »
It would have been so much nicer if he had chosen matching (and less different) button colors  :dizzy:

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 05:17:17 pm »
I could nitpick about that. and the generic marquee too, but that is easy stuff to change up at a later point. The cab looks solid.

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:17:22 pm »
It would have been so much nicer if he had chosen matching (and less different) button colors  :dizzy:

Well, to each their own.  I did that on purpose, different color for each group of controls.  Though I need one more yellow button so that the Asteroids group are all the same color.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 06:52:53 pm »
I totally think the player buttons being different colors looks fine. :cheers:

IMHO, the admin buttons look a little frantic in the back. Green, orange, purple, white, etc in the back is a bit too much going on. Buttons are a couple bucks each, not hard to adjust if need be. If button colors is the gripe from the gallery, then you did really good.   8)

My recommendation, would be go all black buttons in the back, and get some vinyl decals for the button tops to signify what they do. Will be classy.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130477.msg1335286.html#msg1335286