Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I just ordered a new AtGames Sega Mega Drive Flashback. Did I made a mistake?  (Read 3081 times)

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
OK. First some background information. Following the mixed reviews that the Sega Genesis Mini has been getting, I decided to take another look at the much derided Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Flashback console. Apparently, a new version was introduced in 2018 which fixed a lot of the issues that people were experiencing. The emulation has apparently been improved (especially the sound), various UI issues have been fixed, and games can now be loaded from an SD card. However, in typical AtGames fashion, they've made no official announcement of any of these changes. In fact, most retailers don't seem to differentiate between the two models. So, if you order one online, it's a matter of luck  which version you'll end up with.

Anyway, yesterday I came across a very good deal on the Mega Drive Flashback, and on a whim, decided to order one. I figured that if I end up with the earlier model then I can simply return it.

However, I'm now beginning to have cold feet. I'm leaning towards cancelling my order, and waiting for the Sega Genesis Mini instead (even though it's over twice the price).

So I'm wondering what do you guys think. Have any of you bought the 2018  Mega Drive Flashback, and if so, what do you think of it? Is it a viable alternative to the Genesis Mini?
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
I've got the 2017 version.  It's a little weird adding games to it, but there's not much it needs (basically Streets of Rage 1-3 and done).  Included library was fairly comprehensive.  It's crashed once while playing Sonic 2 which was disappointing but I've had all these mini systems do weird stuff occasionally.  There's no "mode" button on the wireless controllers, so there's a handful of games that aren't going to work with the included emulator.  Forgotten Worlds is sadly one of those.  Otherwise the controllers are awesome and make everything else feel really dated.

I paid ~$32 shipped for a sealed one.  It was well worth that.  One guy has some youtube videos where he's basically changed out the entire front end but so far he won't release anything and I doubt he ever will.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
Well I picked it up yesterday. The good news is that it is indeed the new 2018 version (even though the retailer's website is still showing a picture of the old version).

However, I haven't opened the seal yet. I was surprised to find out that my local store had 62 units in stock. So I'm guessing there might be further price reductions to come. I'll sit on it for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
I've got the 2017 version.  It's a little weird adding games to it, but there's not much it needs (basically Streets of Rage 1-3 and done).  Included library was fairly comprehensive.  It's crashed once while playing Sonic 2 which was disappointing but I've had all these mini systems do weird stuff occasionally.  There's no "mode" button on the wireless controllers, so there's a handful of games that aren't going to work with the included emulator.  Forgotten Worlds is sadly one of those.  Otherwise the controllers are awesome and make everything else feel really dated.

What's the sound like? That always seems to be the Achilles' Heel of the AtGames consoles.