Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Corporal punishment of deceased equines must stop now!  (Read 4908 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:23:15 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Corporal punishment of deceased equines must stop now!
« on: July 22, 2017, 11:42:14 pm »
This is brilliant! Several perspectives of a brief point in time. Not based on any real characters, just a great story. The soundtrack really helps it along. I'm sure there is an Oscar in it for Christopher Nolan, since he wrote, directed and produced it. And an Oscar for the score maybe, it is something very different to your usual orchestral score. Technically, it is orchestral, but mostly consisting of sounds akin to heartbeats, ticking clocks etc.

Perhaps an only failing, for some people might be that there is no strong single lead in the movie. but that is the point of it I think. A bit like say Tora, Tora, Tora but you don't have to sit through two hours of movie to get to the exciting bit at the end!

This is a 5/5 for me (",)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:36:01 am by danny_galaga »

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Dunkirk
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 02:44:56 am »
I went to see it last night.
Good film but I wish they didnt do the whole skipping back and forth thing.

Should of just let it play out.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:23:44 am »

I had family members that went to Dunkirk and didn't come back. 

I think I will miss that one and redbox it when I am feeling depressed.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 08:52:30 am »

Should have just let it play out.

It's part of what made it a great film in my opinion (",)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 12:43:21 pm »
Danny likes a film.  I'll alert the media.  :)

Seriously man your opinion doesn't hold any weight unless you hate most things... or at the very least half of the things. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 12:46:00 pm »

I had family members that went to Dunkirk and didn't come back. 

I think I will miss that one and redbox it when I am feeling depressed.

Sorry to hear that Ark,

It was a flaming massacre, but to look on the positive side it was a British triumph to get the quantity of people back that we did under what must of been horrendous circumstances.

As for the time skipping I dont think it added anything to the film, just disjointed it imo.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:14:03 am »
Danny likes a film.  I'll alert the media.  :)

Seriously man your opinion doesn't hold any weight unless you hate most things... or at the very least half of the things.

I'm going to take that as a pointed remark about PBJ, and thus a compliment to me.

Thanks Howard!

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 09:29:49 am »
Saw it last weekend. I liked it. Non stop action. The different
perspectives confused me at first but I liked it after I figured out
what was going on. I recommend this war pic. Warning: this is
not a chick flick and may not appease the wives and girl friends.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 02:52:35 pm »

Or people that were alive at the time, whom eventually won the war with a huge sacrifice (we are a small island) only to be conquered by them 40 years later by economics.  Brokered by the USA. British people (my parents) were still on ration books in the fifties due to supporting Germany with food and medicines.  No mention of that in the movie, or on the Discovery channel.  Go look it up.  Germany owes the UK a huge debt, they seem reluctant to repay or acknowledge.  History likes to repeat itself it seems.  Yet memories are short.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 03:38:00 pm »
Its been seen by a veteran of Dunkirk who said it was very realistic and a good portrayal.

Make of that what you will.

As for Germanys debt to us (and many others tbh) try telling them that! They want a divorce settlement because of Brexit!!

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 04:03:41 am »

Or people that were alive at the time, whom eventually won the war with a huge sacrifice (we are a small island) only to be conquered by them 40 years later by economics.  Brokered by the USA. British people (my parents) were still on ration books in the fifties due to supporting Germany with food and medicines.  No mention of that in the movie, or on the Discovery channel.  Go look it up.  Germany owes the UK a huge debt, they seem reluctant to repay or acknowledge.  History likes to repeat itself it seems.  Yet memories are short.

(Psssst. The movie is set in 1940. Just so you know ;) )

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 07:37:52 am »

(Psssst. The movie is set in 1940. Just so you know ;) )

You don't have to remind me.  I have several family members who are still alive that lived though that period, and lost many relatives at Dunkirk.  My dad was in Burma fighting the Japs (map making), my step dad was an aircraft mechanic fixing the spitfires and hurricanes down south in 1940. He told me some horrific stories about those pilots you see in the film that came back shot to hell.

All seems romantic doesn't it? Not to the poor bloke fighting the Germans, sacrificing himself for our current and past freedom, and taking it off in some jest, which I find not funny in the least.  Totally polarizing considering that people at the time didn't know if they would be dead next week.

Show some respect.  :angry:

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 05:29:14 am »
The Ustashi came door knocking at my fathers place, looking for his brother who was helping the Partizans. They shot his dog and he ran all the way to his grandparents place with his dog in his arms, guts dragging behind him. He was maybe 6 at the time. If he had answered the door, instead of hiding, those filthy Nazis probably would have shot him. My mum had just been born, when the Japanese invaded and she spent the first four years of her life in a concentration camp. Her father was a police commissioner so he was singled out for special treatment. He caught malaria while interred and after the war, in one of his bouts shot my grandma in the head with his service revolver. She survived luckily enough. I still remember the scar on her forehead.

You aren't the only one to have relatives affected by WWII. But this movie is about the evacuations at Dunkirk, and it is not disrespectful. The movie is set in 1940. And basically just several days. When you start banging on about what happened after the war, that has nothing to do with the subject matter of the movie.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 05:45:21 am by danny_galaga »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 06:44:32 pm »
 Theres nothing "romantic" about War Ark.
Never has and never will be.

Its a showcase for the evil the human race can inflict on each other.

More over, more often than not in the words of the late Chester, When the rich wage war its the poor who die.

I think most people regardless of where they are from have had family who served.
I do to but ime not going to go into it.

But I dont see any reason why you should take this film so personal Ark.

It does not romanticise it or paint them in a bad way in the slightest.
Quite the opposite it shows the bravery and resolve.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 07:59:11 pm »
There is nothing "romantic" about War Ark.

More over, more often than not in the words of the late Chester, When the rich wage war its the poor who die.

I think most people regardless of where they are from have had family who served.
I do to but i'm not going to go into it.

But I don't see any reason why you should take this film so personal Ark.

It does not romanticize it or paint them in a bad way in the slightest.

I'm sorry but I have no clue what you are talking about.  In a related comment, I am not trying to be a grammar Nazi, but you do need to get a new keyboard or take your C.S.E. English (Language) again.  I can now understand why video games can rot some people's minds.

The Ustashi came door knocking at my fathers place, looking for his brother who was helping the Partizans. They shot his dog and he ran all the way to his grandparents place with his dog in his arms, guts dragging behind him. He was maybe 6 at the time. If he had answered the door, instead of hiding, those filthy Nazis probably would have shot him. My mum had just been born, when the Japanese invaded and she spent the first four years of her life in a concentration camp. Her father was a police commissioner so he was singled out for special treatment. He caught malaria while interred and after the war, in one of his bouts shot my grandma in the head with his service revolver. She survived luckily enough. I still remember the scar on her forehead.

You aren't the only one to have relatives affected by WWII. But this movie is about the evacuations at Dunkirk, and it is not disrespectful. The movie is set in 1940. And basically just several days. When you start banging on about what happened after the war, that has nothing to do with the subject matter of the movie.

I'm sorry, but what has that got to do with Dunkirk?

Can you guys, please stay on topic?  The topic is not that hard, read a book or if you have to, peruse Wikipedia.  We are talking about the troops that liberated Europe, not some obscure Croatian fascist militia.  I had cousins sent to Bosnia to sort that mess out too.

You guys are giving me a headache.   :dizzy:

Unbelievable.  ::)   

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 08:53:49 pm »
We got to see it yesterday in IMAX.  What an amazing movie.    The cinematography and soundtrack were nothing short of spectacular.   

It was enlightening to see a war movie shown from a non-American perspective.  The only other movie (and book) and can remember seeing from another perspective was All Quiet on the Western Front. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 04:25:25 am »

I'm sorry but I have no clue what you are talking about.  In a related comment, I am not trying to be a grammar Nazi, but you do need to get a new keyboard or take your C.S.E. English (Language) again.  I can now understand why video games can rot some people's minds.

Can you guys, please stay on topic?  The topic is not that hard, read a book or if you have to, peruse Wikipedia.  We are talking about the troops that liberated Europe, not some obscure Croatian fascist militia.  I had cousins sent to Bosnia to sort that mess out too.

In a related comment to your non related comment you are talking shite.

If you could not make sense of a direct reply in a clear fashion then you may be drunk or need to re-do your (G?)CSE's?

Dont carry a keyboard for my phone though, to bulky!

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 07:13:37 am »

My dad was in Burma fighting the Japs (map making), my step dad was an aircraft mechanic fixing the spitfires and hurricanes down south in 1940. He told me some horrific stories about those pilots you see in the film that came back shot to hell.

Ok Ark. I don't know what is wrong with you, if you are on medication, or depressed or what. See all that ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- you wrote there that I quoted. The ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- that has nothing to do with a movie about Dunkirk?  I normally don't put two and two together but a few people here have called you a troll lately and maybe they are right. If you need some help, the you have my sympathy. But if you are just trolling, can you please ---fudgesicle--- off and bother some other forums, if you aren't already doing that?

Thank you.

Edit: Possibly a bit over the top on my part. So let's start again:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154899.0.html

For thoughts on other subjects, perhaps post a new thread...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:56:45 am by danny_galaga »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 05:07:08 am »

My dad was in Burma fighting the Japs (map making), my step dad was an aircraft mechanic fixing the spitfires and hurricanes down south in 1940. He told me some horrific stories about those pilots you see in the film that came back shot to hell.

Ok Ark. I don't know what is wrong with you, if you are on medication, or depressed or what. See all that ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- you wrote there that I quoted. The ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- that has nothing to do with a movie about Dunkirk?  I normally don't put two and two together but a few people here have called you a troll lately and maybe they are right. If you need some help, the you have my sympathy. But if you are just trolling, can you please ---fudgesicle--- off and bother some other forums, if you aren't already doing that?

Thank you.

Edit: Possibly a bit over the top on my part. So let's start again:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154899.0.html

For thoughts on other subjects, perhaps post a new thread...

You are entitled to your opinion.  I was quoting from history, and nobody likes the truth pointed at them. Cart  blanc.  We all know the tales of woe with Croatia and the Serbs, ethnic cleansing and petty civil disturbances.  The Russians were good peace keepers.

Troll, me?  Call me what you would like.  Sticks and stones mate.  Just stay on topic.

Read my signature and ask yourself if you are the antagonist?

If you have to use crude language then you have lost the argument.  There are various ways to protest a personal opinion, without having to lower oneself.  I forgive your outburst, but please show some decorum in the future.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 05:15:47 am by ark_ader »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 05:21:31 am »

If you could not make sense of a direct reply in a clear fashion then you may be drunk or need to re-do your (G?)CSE's?

Oh I do apologise.  I was under the impression that you knew about proofreading what you type.  Typical blonde response.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
Re: Stop equine corporal punishment now!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 05:25:23 am »

Oh I do apologise.  I was under the impression that you knew about proofreading what you type.  Typical blonde response.

Keep dreaming jocky, ime dark haired and you could not afford me ;)