Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Optional Controls  (Read 683 times)

craigwojo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Optional Controls
« on: July 12, 2017, 07:42:45 pm »
Hi everyone,

Still putting together ideas for the arcade/game system for my home.  Building a MAME style cabinet.  On the control panel, is it possible to have USB inputs for game controllers for like N64, Dreamcast, etc.  I have the controls for my PC and use them for home system game emulations.  I would use the typical buttons, joystick, etc. for the arcade games.  Could this be done? and also could I switch from the cabinet arcade controls to the game-pad controls without restarting the system?

How do gamers use multi-emulated systems? What control components do you use?

Thank you,
Craig

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • If you build it they will come (they never showed)
Re: Optional Controls
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:53:26 pm »
Google arcade Front-end. That's what you want for multi emulation. Hyperspin, mala, launch box, or whatever you choose.

Usb ports are possible and easy. There are a couple of good options for usb mounts. I tried it on my first cab and never used them. Just no fun playing console games like that on a cab to me.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Online Online
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 09:57:27 pm »
Hi everyone,

Still putting together ideas for the arcade/game system for my home.  Building a MAME style cabinet.  On the control panel, is it possible to have USB inputs for game controllers for like N64, Dreamcast, etc.  I have the controls for my PC and use them for home system game emulations.  I would use the typical buttons, joystick, etc. for the arcade games.  Could this be done? and also could I switch from the cabinet arcade controls to the game-pad controls without restarting the system?

How do gamers use multi-emulated systems? What control components do you use?

Thank you,
Craig

If you plug/unplug the controllers during gameplay, you'll probably run into issues.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 01:15:57 am »
It can be done.

But as yot mentions you will have problems with controller usb id's messing up your button configs.

There are ways around it but prepare for a headache!

You can buy panel mounted usb sockets extensions on ebay.

craigwojo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 01:41:01 pm »
Thank you so much everyone.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 04:37:38 pm »
This was my answer to console gaming. Super popular with all my friends!

MydknyteStyrm

• Offline Offline
  • Makeup FX Gamer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 10:51:34 pm »
I run numerous console emulators aside from arcade emulators. My solutions was a pair of Xbox 360 PC controllers. This covered everything from
NES to PS2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Present for you Grandfather...
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 11:11:26 pm »
Get yourself a X Arcade system.   :cheers:
"I really do feel pity for those who go out of their way to perform a personal slight, than taking the effort in joining the conversation and creating some useful dialogue which would benefit the persons' perusal of this topic.  Yet where would we be without the persistant antagonist?"

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 07:13:44 pm »
I would normally suggest a Kade miniConsole+ since this pretty much does exactly what you want it to do (you can use arcade controls while having the ability to flawlessly hotswap pretty much any console controller you can think of)... unfortunately you may have to wait a while to get one because they are still trying to get out all the rewards from the Kickstarter that they had and they haven't released an ETA.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroPie all the way!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:51 am »
It can be done.

But as yot mentions you will have problems with controller usb id's messing up your button configs.

I am using RetroPie on a RPi3 and I want to plug in console controllers when I want to play console games. Otherwise the arcade controls should be player 1/2. I gave the console controls highest priority in RetroPie/RetroArch. But when I unplug the console controllers (when the RPi is turned off) and I want to use the arcade controls, they are not recognized as player 1/2. Start-select to exit a game don't work either, because that should be done on player 1 probably.
The arcade controls are Zero Delay USB controllers. Any idea why this won't work as expected?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 09:00:30 am »
It can be done.

I am using RetroPie on a RPi3 and I want to plug in console controllers when I want to play console games. Otherwise the arcade controls should be player 1/2. I gave the console controls highest priority in RetroPie/RetroArch. But when I unplug the console controllers (when the RPi is turned off) and I want to use the arcade controls, they are not recognized as player 1/2. Start-select to exit a game don't work either, because that should be done on player 1 probably.
The arcade controls are Zero Delay USB controllers. Any idea why this won't work as expected?

Sorrydidnt realise you were using a Rpi so ignore my earlier comments.

Not sure why that wont work, do you have seperate encoders for p1 and p2?

Tarma

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 09:08:26 am »
Maybe something with setting the priority screwed it up? (I know zip about the software side) But on my Pi3 w/ RetroPi I know it recognizes the top 2 usbs as Player 1-2 and the bottom 2 as player 3-4, so if you're plugged into one of the bottom usbs that might be causing it. I'll be interested to see what you determine it is as I'd like to do the same setup in the future.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • RetroPie all the way!
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 09:36:55 am »
It can be done.

Sorrydidnt realise you were using a Rpi so ignore my earlier comments.

Not sure why that wont work, do you have seperate encoders for p1 and p2?
I hijacked the thread ;)

And, yes, I do have separate controllers.

Maybe something with setting the priority screwed it up? (I know zip about the software side) But on my Pi3 w/ RetroPi I know it recognizes the top 2 usbs as Player 1-2 and the bottom 2 as player 3-4, so if you're plugged into one of the bottom usbs that might be causing it. I'll be interested to see what you determine it is as I'd like to do the same setup in the future.
I am pretty sure it has something to do with the prioritization of the controls, IF it is possible anyway. At the moment the optional console controls have the highest priority, but when disconnected the arcade controls (even after reboot) still show up as 3/4 I guess.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31