Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Logo Fonts  (Read 6878 times)

dgrace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 01:43:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arcade Logo Fonts
« on: July 12, 2017, 12:15:24 am »
I'm currently building an arcade cabinet and am trying to design my own arcade logo for the marquee. Does anyone know of any free websites with any cool arcade type fonts I could use to create my own or have anything they'd be willing to share? Thanks

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: Arcade Logo Fonts
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 12:21:23 am »
There are plenty of free fonts out there.  Just remember in the end you want something like Token's Moonshot and not garbage like a multicade collage.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 05:13:24 am »
I'm currently building an arcade cabinet and am trying to design my own arcade logo for the marquee. Does anyone know of any free websites with any cool arcade type fonts I could use to create my own or have anything they'd be willing to share? Thanks
http://vectorlib2.free.fr/Fonts/

Scott

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 01:02:12 pm »
In my view, avoid the cliched such as:

Any font that would come up if you google image searched "arcade font" = bad

Pick a font to match the theme of your cab. Take your theme then google something slightly to the left of that. E.g. if you've got a Starski and Hutch cab, google image "Pimp Font" (as in huggy bear):

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 02:46:49 pm »
In my view, avoid the cliched such as:

Any font that would come up if you google image searched "arcade font" = bad

Pick a font to match the theme of your cab. Take your theme then google something slightly to the left of that. E.g. if you've got a Starski and Hutch cab, google image "Pimp Font" (as in huggy bear):

I generally agree with this, although I think the second font can be used in a creative way.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2021, 05:02:15 pm
  • Scratch-built Guitar - Under Construction!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 12:26:46 pm »
Not knowing what you're making a logo of, here's some basic advice:

In graphic design classes I learned you can go cliched and make it work, but it's much harder. My pet peeve is just a Marquee that says "ARCADE". If you're going with a name/theme look through old marquees. I prefer something simple to look more 80s looking.

If you're adding art, keep the type simple. If not, make
 the logo a more embellished font, but still try to find something that's easy to read (no old English or something like that).  If you have some art-making experience,  you can do the embellishing yourself and add drop shadows, outlines, highlights, etc. While this one may be over the top for some things, here's a font that shows what I mean by embelishment: http://www.fontriver.com/font/chrome/

Also if You're doing just type, you can add simple shapes (stripes, grids, parallel or concentric shapes to dress it up.)

The usual response from non-arcade people when they see my MAME marquee is "I think I remember that game" Makes me chuckle everytime.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Brevity is not my strong suit.