Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT EMU 2.0 With GroovyMAME 186 on M3129DS-LG not displaying correctly  (Read 2797 times)

Acpowell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2019, 11:18:00 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I have been using the CRT Emu driver on my 5770 GPU for a while now and was told I should switch to GroovyMAMA to get the best picture.  I believe I have it setup properly in the CRT driver and the mame.ini file.  Vert games play just fine but HORZ games are cut off slightly on the right and the screen kind of rolls around to the back.  It does not do this if I use regular mame.  I have some pics and a short video for an example. I also have the log file from GroovyMAME.

Acpowell

• Offline Offline
Any suggestions would really help me here.  I like the way the games look short of the right edge being messed up.  I did see a post mentioning a slightly similar issue but I don't believe it is quite the same as mine.  That one mentioned adjusting the "front porch" but I am not really sure what that means as I don't see "front porch" listed in the ini.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 am
  • retro maniac
Front/back porch You have to adjust in ArcadeOSD not in groovymame. This 56 Hz mode so picture shift is expected but this can be adjusted to fill nicely whole screen.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=144484.0
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=46

Please ignore some geometry problems with my Sony TV.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:38:12 pm by haynor666 »

Acpowell

• Offline Offline
Front/back porch You have to adjust in ArcadeOSD not in groovymame. This 56 Hz mode so picture shift is expected but this can be adjusted to fill nicely whole screen.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=144484.0
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=46

Please ignore some geometry problems with my Sony TV.

Yours says 256x240 not 2560x240.  Is that because of the CRT you are using?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
He may actually have a 256x240 modeline he's using - you'll notice his refresh is slightly incorrect, where yours is perfect. Or he might be on XP...? Not specifically monitor related though, no.

Also, I don't think he's right about ArcadeOSD. You can adjust the timings there, and it's a good idea to do it so your modelines are correct for everything else, but GM gives not a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- whether you adjust your modes or don't. You have to specify a monitor in GM, and thus a range line. And that's where your horizontal size and position come from when using GM.

What you want to do is set up your super resolutions in VMM like you have, then go into ArcadeOSD and adjust each super resolution horizontally, then note down the timings of the modelines. You then add these timings to the crt_range0,1,2,3 lines in your mame.ini file, and set the monitor line to "monitor custom". You can either average the timings and use one range line (crt_range0) with broader values to do everything, or use several lines to try and catch everything. I'd recommend starting with the former.

The monitor presets sticky shows the preset range line for the "monitor arcade_15" setting to be thus (it's not shown in mame.ini in this case because arcade_15 is a preset with it's own values) - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,116023.0.html

// Arcade 15.7 kHz - standard resolution
   arcade_15

crt_range0  "15625-16200, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.192, 1.024, 0, 0, 192, 288, 448, 576"

Values in bold are the horizontal size/position options - Front Porch, Sync Width & Back Porch respectively (right side, ~h-center & left side, in that order.) And then the min and max number of lines allowed in a progressive mode. You set "monitor custom" in mame.ini, copy the above range in, or possibly the "generic_15" one, and then adjust the values and test them.

Note that some of the VMM information in the thread linked above is out of date, IIRC. Go into the newer VMM and look at the monitor.ini file, then try adjusting the bolded values, then playing with the sliders so the graphs change. You can set all this in VMM by having it write to the mame.ini for you, sure, but in my experience nothing beats going into ArcadeOSD afterward and then adding exactly what you want to the mame.ini file.

(I prefer the quotation marks around the range values; I think I once had trouble somehow. I believe you can leave them out, however.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:38:56 am by buttersoft »

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 am
  • retro maniac
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm using native resolutions not super resolutions. In fact super resolution will be probably easier to set proper horizontal wight and shift since 8 lines is minimum step (at least looks like every change stretches pictures or move about 8 lines) so center nicely 256x240 is not always possible but for vertical situation will be identical - You can shift vertically by single line.

Still You will have to use either Slope option or vertical size option in Your TV/Arcade monitor.