Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Just installed Groovymame yesterday..  (Read 2146 times)

Nodoyuna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2021, 12:44:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Just installed Groovymame yesterday..
« on: July 12, 2017, 03:48:58 am »
Hi
As I'm new in the "native resolutions" world (being in the emulation world since 2000 or so), and following Recapnation's advice, I've started installing Groovymame...
Of course, CRT Emudriver is installed correctly and my CRT TV is displaying Windows correctly (windows 7 at 640x480 interlaced)
Also, I've installed the video modes with VMMaker, but getting the video modes from mame.xml instead of using super-resolutions
As a result, I have 120 modelines available and Windows let me use any of them for desktop
So I suppose these initial steps are OK :D

Then, I've installed Groovymame 0.186... I've tried some games, and it does seems to work fine
Before the game, the Switchres says the resolution that is going to be used and there are scanlines in the games, so I think it's OK
As I'm going to try as many games as possible (mainly pure arcade at first), I'll post here if I encounter some issues

So far, I have a couple questions:

1) If I put d3d93ex as video output in mame.ini, all I have is a black screen, but if I put d3d it works ok. I've read d3d9ex is better option, so I'd like to use it
2) Most vertical games uses interlaced resolutions, and I've read that's the normal behaviour in order to fit the game in the screen. If the game is displayed as horizontal, I should get the correct progressive resolution, right? I'm somehow used to play vertical games horizontally with my supergun and arcade pcb's. Is there an option to disable screen rotation?
3) The screen in Groovymame is not centered. It moved to the left, leaving a big black border on the right side. I'm using the ARCADE_15 settings for my monitor. Normal MAME is perfectly centered, so I think it has to be related to Groovymame. Is there a way of centering the image without needing to go to the TV service mode?
4) Not related with Groovymame itself, but I'd like to ask too. I got interfernce lines on my CRT TV. I'm using and VGA to SCART cable. It's not flickering but some more like interference lines. It should be related to the cable or the SCART swith I'm using, right?

Thanks in advance for any reply

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
Re: Just installed Groovymame yesterday..
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:23:04 am »
Most of those are addressed here:

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=290

Don't skip the last post since it mentions the changes in recent versions, such as the D3D9EX naming thing.

Nodoyuna

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2021, 12:44:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Just installed Groovymame yesterday..
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 07:30:57 am »
Most of those are addressed here:

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=290

Don't skip the last post since it mentions the changes in recent versions, such as the D3D9EX naming thing.

OK, I¡ll check that post
Thanks

EDIT: Looking at that post, i've renamed d3d93ex and now it works ok, the option for disable rotation on vertical games and the image is centered now :)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 03:53:51 am by Nodoyuna »