Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Model 2 Emulator and CRT Emudriver  (Read 5161 times)

Nodoyuna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2021, 12:44:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Model 2 Emulator and CRT Emudriver
« on: July 10, 2017, 07:00:45 am »
Hi,
I'm pretty new to the "native resolutions world" :)
I've installed CRT Emudriver 2.0 on an ATI R5-230 graphics card and it's working really great
As the computer I have now is totally new, I need to install all emulators, and in the process, I'm trying to get the native resolutions for them
My main system is a 4:3 CRT TV set, and I also have a 4:3 PC CRT Monitor and a 4:3 PC TFT Monitor, so I have many possibilities covered
My windows is set to 640x480 interlaced mode with Windows 7 (windows says it's 640x480 at 30KHz)

I've read Model 2 has a resolution of 496x384 in progressive mode at 25KHz (I think)
I don't have that resolution on my system, so, can I generate it with WMMaker?
If so, it's enough to write " 486 x 384 @ 25.000000"?

About the original system, the screen was LCD or CRT?
Also, if I can get the native resolution, it should be better to run it in the VGA monitor instead of the CRT TV, right?

Thanks in advance

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 am
  • retro maniac
Re: Model 2 Emulator and CRT Emudriver
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 01:28:18 am »
This is mode for 25 kHz monitors. Neither Your TV or PC monitor can not handle such mode.

Nodoyuna

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:34 am »
This is mode for 25 kHz monitors. Neither Your TV or PC monitor can not handle such mode.

Hi
Thanks for the reply
So, what should be the better solution? (I mean the closest to the native resolution)

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 11:48:28 am »
The PC CRT monitor. You can try a mode close enough to the native one after understanding the monitor specs thingie and then tweak the geometry with the analog scaling buttons/OSD. You won't get full screen most likely, but not too far either.

But this is advanced stuff. If you're new to this, you should start with Groovy MAME, 15-kHz, 31-kHz, then getting the best geometry for every mode, mode editing...

(I'm not creating your account in Eiusdemmodi for now, by the way, sorry. Technical issues.)

Nodoyuna

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 12:50:33 pm »
But this is advanced stuff. If you're new to this, you should start with Groovy MAME, 15-kHz, 31-kHz, then getting the best geometry for every mode, mode editing...

Yes, thatīs me, starting with the most difficult things :D

Anyway, I'll try with the PC CRT monitor and see if I can get it
I've tried groovymame before, and it works well, except for some adjustements I need to make

One more question, can I use VMMaker with the CRT PC Monitor too, even if it's at 31KHz?

About the Eiusdemmodi account, I suposse I'll receive an email when it's done, right?

Thanks for the reply

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 02:37:09 pm »
You can and should use VMM on whichever system with CRT Emudriver installed. You must study your monitor's limitations and then define the monitor specs line accordingly so that VMM lets you make proper definitions. That's all explained in Eiusdemmodi.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 12:46:48 am »
I've tried a 384i mode on several TV's and PVMs and it's worked fine. Can't remember exactly which parameters I was increasing to compensate, possibly the sync width and refresh. However, at that low res the interlacing makes it look and flicker like anus. And I did have a sizing trigger to contend with for some weird reason, like the the PAL/NTSC sizing change but not. A 31kHz PC monitor might be able to push a 384p mode the same way though, IDK.

That aside, Model 2 titles are polygon games, so increasing the res to say 480i makes little difference and is probably in improvement over 384i. The 2D hud isn't pixel-perfect but regarding the 3D models themselves you'd be hard pressed to spot any difference save for the better.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:36:28 am by buttersoft »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 06:34:59 am »
Model 2 runs at 57.524160 Hz. First of all, you'd need to create whatever mode that has that refresh.

For 15 kHz, I'd use 496i@57.52 Hz and set vsync in your emulator.

With a PC monitor, aside from using 384p which will require heavy adjusting to remove the borders, you could use 768p with software scanlines, in case they're supported.

Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Nodoyuna

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 07:35:18 am »
First of all, thanks for the replies

Model 2 runs at 57.524160 Hz. First of all, you'd need to create whatever mode that has that refresh.
How can I add a new video mode? When using VMMaker, any change in the modes list will erase the previous ones

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz

purbeast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 05:51:38 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 02:02:11 pm »
I am currently trying to get a light gun cabinet going with a CGA 320x240 monitor in there.  This PC I am using, I already have groovymame with crtemudriver running perfectly fine so all of that is configured and mame runs perfect.

Now I am playing around with trying to get the m2 emulator for some light gun games I like.

I got it working with Virtua Cop and House of the Dead so far, however I definitely have noticed that the text is basically impossible to read.

I set the full screen res in the ini file to 320x240 since that is what my monitor does.

Is there any setting that I can change to get the text to be readable?  I can't really do into test menus because I can't read it on there. 

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2023, 03:24:26 pm »
I'm using 496i for model 2 emu. Just like buttersoft wrote it does not matter for those games if it native resolution or higher since resizing polygon games it's not so bad. Text will be visible though a little distorted even in interlaced mode.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 03:28:41 pm by haynor666 »