Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My First Build (Late Project Announcement)  (Read 1854 times)

higinbotham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2018, 08:22:06 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
My First Build (Late Project Announcement)
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:03:24 pm »
LATE project announcement!  I wanted to build a full size cabinet last year after viewing the Smash and NASA arcade from scoodidabop.  From there I stumbled on to Chances Flynn arcade (the basis design for the Smash arcade) along with arcadecontrols and knew life would not be complete until I built one.    I have been working on it on and off since August or so last year.  Mine is a ripoff of Chances cab layout with Jarrets 4 player "battleship" CP. 

Thanks!
First thing - Huge shoutout to all the folks who have posted their designs, photos, workflows and answered questions on this site  The detail in Chances Flynn and Scottys Electrocade projects have been great guides thus far (along with rummaging through posts).  Not only has this site been a huge help but seeing the new builds keeps me motivated.  Also a big thanks to the vendors GGG, Ultimarc and Paradise.  I ordered parts from each and have had great service.

Design/Build
Cab is made from 3/4" plywood
I went with GGG Spectra Eclipse buttons with the helio LED option
Ultimarc trackball, joysticks (u360 and J stick) and 2 IPAC Ultimate's (Good idea from Electrocade)
Joystick LEDs from Paradise
Full size coin door
Guns will be purchased at a later date

The PC is a little overboard.  I ended up getting one with an i7 7700 and an RX 480 (usually stick with Nvidia but got a good deal).  I plan on letting my kid use it for Steam games with an Xbox controller. 
I also went with a 32" monitor.

For the artwork, I have been designing it myself while trying to figure out photoshop.  I am sure the art design is not everyones cup of tea (lots of characters all over) but it was fun to make and the family likes it.

I just ordered the prints of the artwork this weekend

There is nothing new here as far as design goes.  I mainly followed other great builds.  That said, now that its getting nearer to completion I am already planning a more original build #2 (Virtual pinball)

Still got a lot to do but here are a few photos thus far

Side art:

Cabinet:

More to come!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:19:26 am by higinbotham »

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
Re: My First Build (Late Project Announcement)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:09:43 am »
Looking tidy..look forward to more pics.

dgrace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 01:43:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: My First Build (Late Project Announcement)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 10:10:19 am »
Looking very solid so far.  Thanks for sharing your work.  I sent you a PM with just a few questions if you don't mind. Thanks