Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: gameroomsolutions.com review  (Read 10477 times)

squidget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2018, 11:13:01 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
gameroomsolutions.com review
« on: July 07, 2017, 04:08:29 pm »
Wanted to share my experience with ordering an arcade control panel from gameroomsolutions.com.  Though I used to own a Neo Geo Big Red in the past, I never had to do any maintenance on it. So wiring and all that is very new to me.  I wanted to build an arcade stick for a raspberry pi that I got setup with retropie/emulationstation.  Since I was so new I was looking for something simple and not too expensive just in case I screwed the whole thing up.  I found gameroomsolutions off of /cade over on reddit and the Arcade Control Panel they had listed fit my needs perfectly.  I had some back and forth with Ryan before ordering - I was trying to get the PSD template beforehand so they could print and apply the artwork.  He told me i had to order first and then he would send the file.  I did so and as promised he sent the PSD template as well as the instructions for getting a hyperpie image and the config files.  It took me about a week to finish up the design (I'm new to photoshop too) and once I sent it to him and took maybe 3/4 days before he shipped it out.  Once received everything looked good (only 1 small chip on the MDF sideboard) but the 6 white LED buttons I ordered were just 6 white buttons.  I emailed Ryan and he apologized same day and in about 4 days I received the correct LED buttons.  It went together fairly easy even though I made my fair share of wiring mistakes.  I would say the most difficult thing was the hyperpie image stuff. I could not get hyperpie and the arcade sticks to work right.  not all buttons were being recognized, and the hotkeys (joystick or keyboard) were not working either.  I eventually gave up and did a completely different frontend (motion blue) and did not use Ryan's config file.  Everything is working now as it should.  Here is a quick vid of the end results:

I was a little concerned after I ordered when I started seeing some negative reviews.  In the end though I didn't have any issues and I'm happy with my experience and the results.  Possibly because what I ordered was so simple.  Anyway, just wanted to share.
thanks.