Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My control panel layout and marquee graphics  (Read 1691 times)

gedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 01:25:30 pm
  • My first cab is almost done. Loving the challenge.
My control panel layout and marquee graphics
« on: July 07, 2017, 09:28:10 am »
I'm interested in feedback on my CP layout and CP/Marquee graphics.

The CP layout uses slagcoin spacing for joystick/buttons. The joysticks are Ultimarc MagStick Plus, which can be switched 4/8-way by rotating the joystick top - hence the rotation arrows on the CP.  I checked the spacing of all the components to ensure none of the components clash under the CP (specifically the track ball and the player 2 joystick).

All the design/graphics were done by me, using images I found online.  I am a total amateur, and I did the layout and graphics work in Visio (not kidding).  My cabinet will only be running classic games from the 80s, so my graphics are meant to reflect that motif.

Thoughts?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: My control panel layout and marquee graphics
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 01:55:52 pm »
Firstly Kudos for actually working on your own art and with using tools not really designed for the job. Personally though I would probably use something like Gimp on the basis that you have found all the artwork already.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any structure to the marquee. Everyone is just sort of floating in space. ,  I would draw an imaginary line and move everybodys feet onto that line, It doesn't have to be a straight line either it could be curved.  Pacman down to same level as DK, Spaceships up to top right top left facing as if attacking the main characters,  The little dig dug guy down and center, Frogger down and swap places with Qbert. Tapper should be in front of other characters. Lose the space invader entirely the art style doesn't really fit in properly.  Arkanoid paddle and ball I would move to right and below DK.

I would find a more arcadey font for the name.  Also may be worth thinking about changing the name, I kind of regret calling mine doctonicade.  It's bloody obvious it's an arcade and I know it's mine :)

As for the control panel,  no issues with the layout, although is the spinner location actually comfortable to use,  do you want it centered for aesthetic purposes?   What about coin buttons or are you going to have them on front/coin door etc.

Artwise it looks completely disjointed from the marquee,  I would reuse the marquee elements in some way,  It's just a little to plain and simple.  Maybe smaller pacman and ghost but with pellets between.

Hope this has helped a little bit.