Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Digital flight stick games?  (Read 389 times)

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
Digital flight stick games?
« on: July 06, 2017, 08:31:38 pm »
Hi all, so I'm working on a pc based project that includes an 8 way digital flight joystick with 2 fire buttons. I'm wondering if anyone knows any games that work well with this type of joystick...

2d top down shooters are probably the obvious thing but I wonder what else there is if anything?

Thanks

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • My arcade cabinet has a cup holder.
Re: Digital flight stick games?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 08:52:18 pm »
Although space harrier used an analog stick, it plays pretty well with a digital one.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:35:11 pm »
Although space harrier used an analog stick, it plays pretty well with a digital one.

Yeah definitely gonna try some space harrier, thanks.

Thats a good suggestion actually maybe some of the other analog games might still work ok with the digital stick...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:39:10 pm by shaolindrunkard »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2013 UCA Awardee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:51:13 pm »
Dual stick games: (wiki list of dual joystick games)
Angel Kids (not on the linked wiki list)
Battlezone
Libble Rabble
Sarge

Dual analog stick games that might work: (wiki list of analog joystick games)
Cyber Commando
Cyber Sled
T-MEK

If you also have a spinner:
Discs of TRON (A rocker-style 2 microswitch foot pedal like this works pretty well for the push/pull)
Forgotten Worlds
Kozmik Kroozr
TRON
Zwackery

If you also have a trackball:
Wacko

Scott

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • My arcade cabinet has a cup holder.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:05:51 am »

Thats a good suggestion actually maybe some of the other analog games might still work ok with the digital stick...
Familiarize yourself with the analog settings in MAME's in-game menu.  The ones that say DIGITAL affect how the game behaves when substituting a regular joystick for an analog one.  Think of it as mame including a virtual analog stick that is controlled by your digital joystick.  Digital speed affects how fast the virtual analog stick goes from centered to a direction when you hold down on a button or hold your digital stick in that direction.  Digital center affects how fast the virtual stick returns to center when you let go of the button or move your regular joystick to center.

It takes experimentation and the games won't play as perfect as analog, but it does make them more playable.  You can keep a car turning at a certain angle by bouncing the joystick between the direction you want to go and centered at a certain speed (keeping the virtual analog stick within a certain range).

EDIT: Also I think all the jet/flight stick games suck.   :lol
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:12:40 am by BadMouth »

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:24:39 am »
Dual stick games: (wiki list of dual joystick games)
Angel Kids (not on the linked wiki list)
Battlezone
Libble Rabble
Sarge

Dual analog stick games that might work: (wiki list of analog joystick games)
Cyber Commando
Cyber Sled
T-MEK

If you also have a spinner:
Discs of TRON (A rocker-style 2 microswitch foot pedal like this works pretty well for the push/pull)
Forgotten Worlds
Kozmik Kroozr
TRON
Zwackery

If you also have a trackball:
Wacko

Scott

This would be a single joystick so dual stick games are a no go, but thanks. No trackball either.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:29:11 am »

Familiarize yourself with the analog settings in MAME's in-game menu.  The ones that say DIGITAL affect how the game behaves when substituting a regular joystick for an analog one.  Think of it as mame including a virtual analog stick that is controlled by your digital joystick.  Digital speed affects how fast the virtual analog stick goes from centered to a direction when you hold down on a button or hold your digital stick in that direction.  Digital center affects how fast the virtual stick returns to center when you let go of the button or move your regular joystick to center.

It takes experimentation and the games won't play as perfect as analog, but it does make them more playable.  You can keep a car turning at a certain angle by bouncing the joystick between the direction you want to go and centered at a certain speed (keeping the virtual analog stick within a certain range).

EDIT: Also I think all the jet/flight stick games suck.   :lol

Thanks for the advice on the analog to digital stuff... I'm kind with you on that, a lot of them don't play very well.

So far the games that seem like they might be good are:

Space Harrier
Rail Chase
Jurassic park
Thunder Ceptor

It seems like these joystick based rail shooters like Rail chase and JP are perfect but I don't think there are that many or them...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31