Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building a Cabinet  (Read 7305 times)

THRobinson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2021, 05:11:31 pm
  • Early stages of my first build!
Building a Cabinet
« on: July 05, 2017, 12:07:09 pm »
So... started off building a console, then very briefly a bartop and graduated to a full cabinet. Just seemed more fun, and needed storage/shelves so building a cabinet in the cabinet at the bottom.

I wanted something a bit smaller than a traditional cabinet, not as wide/deep, and I wanted the marquee set back as to not obstruct my view and be right in my face (I'm 6'3") so came up with a design that I think looks like a traditional cabinet but a bit less bulky.

On the weekend, I downloaded Google Sketchup and by the end of the weekend I learned enough about it to build a virtual cabinet, which I recommend to anyone building something like this. Managed to avoid a few issues and came up with a few improvements. Still tweaking a few things here and there but basically a finished diagram.

Few key features...
- Samsung 204B 4:3 20" LCD... got a pair for $20, barely working, and for $20 worth of new capacitors, they look like new. I made it such that I can put in a 24" Widescreen if ever a day when I have to replace what I have, just need to make a new panel and rotate the bracket.
- Will have an i3-7100 3.9Ghz with an mATX board, 16GB ram, my old GTX650Ti video card and a 550w PSU. Probably running HyperSpin... as much as I like LaunchBox, visually it seems a bit stiff and most themes don't work with a 4:3 monitor apparently.
- Rear panel access will be a 16"x25" furnace filter. That way it has excellent air flow, and no dust gets in. Above it will be a 120mm computer fan blowing out.
- Under the monitor will be a pair of USB ports, eBay ports for car dashes. I don't plan to play much that needs a controller, but ports there just in case, plus I can plug in my Rii wireless keyboard for maintenance.

Just looking for some feedback, ideas... and maybe ideas towards the paint job. So far the quotes for vinyl prints are a bit outta my budget ($400CAD for the sides and control panel) so likely just what I can do with paint and masking tape.

Self design cabinet, using a Samsung 204B 4:3 LCD, and RaspberryPi 3B+  running RetroPi.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
Re: Building a Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 12:31:46 pm »
Nice job on the sketch up...subed

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 12:33:26 pm »
Just some advice,I found wrapping my cab In car vinyl was cheaper than prepping and spraying. Looks good, it's waterproof, hardwearing and easy to apply. Endless choice of colours...

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 12:44:58 pm »
I was on eBay looking at the vinyl there... kinda liked the almost black brushed metal actually. But, don't want a solid colour or solid with stripes.

Was playing a bit with Borderlands looks... the yellow colour.

Would be hand paintable, leave off any Borderlands logos, since well, won't be playing it on the cabinet, but, looks pretty good.

Otherwise, if I could afford the printing... I wanted to do a rockabilly style image of Elvira Mistress of the Dark, like on the old pinball machines... or same style, a sorta zombie apocalypse of video game characters because I'll be resurrecting old games. Technically both hand paintable, but, way too much work.
Self design cabinet, using a Samsung 204B 4:3 LCD, and RaspberryPi 3B+  running RetroPi.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 12:51:10 pm »
Yeah you need to get more quotes on your vinyl prints.  There are a few here in the forum that have better prices.

Lose the door knobs in the front, you dont want this looking like a piece of furniture.

Shift your p1 and coin buttons to the left of CP, that way you can put the 4 buttons in the front panel on the top panel.  If your 6'3 it will be a PITA to know what button you want to press as you will have to step back to see the labels.

Put the USB port under the CP not in the bezel, you will honestly only need 1 for maint purposes, unless you have 1 game that your gonna play over and over again that needs the actual sticks that require 2 players (highly unlikely)

Just plug in your wireless dongle for your keyboard in the mobo usb, no need for an external port.

That huge filter requires a huge amount of suction, and you only have 1 120mm fan for out draft, they make fans with filter systems that draw in air.  Your gonna need both, one to draw air in (with filter) and the other to push hot air out (top fan).

I'd lose the huge filter idea and substitute with a few more practical fans to help with circulation in your build.

on your monitor mount, try using metal straps, they work very well and are lighter in weight.  mark your holes, drill holes in the straps for the vesa holes, then attach straps to the bezel, and done.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:01:01 pm by rablack97 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 01:20:59 pm »
I'm with rablack97 on the doors on the front. I know you probably want to use that area for storage, but now it looks like a piece of furniture that plays videogames and not a real cabinet.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 01:22:58 pm »
Use some push to open catches and you can get rid of the knobs

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 01:29:27 pm »
Use some push to open catches and you can get rid of the knobs

Also really think about what your going to store in that thing.  Your gonna have alot going in that space with your PC, wires etc.  The storage you will have will be very limited, so don't create your cab around storage and then end up just tossing crud in it cause it's there.  Also swinging doors eventually give out, and then you have the trashy look going on, plus you'll have light bleed from the doors, which will also make it janky.

This is what i would do, go with a solid face grab you a fake coin door for access to your storage, or a real one.  On the back make one large door opening for access to your PC, TV etc.  A solid front face will also have with the overall sturdiness of your cab.

This way you keep the arcade look and still have access to whatever unknowns you plan on storing in your cab, plus access for maintenance of the internals.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:34:49 pm by rablack97 »

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 02:05:42 pm »
Yeah you need to get more quotes on your vinyl prints.  There are a few here in the forum that have better prices.

Lose the door knobs in the front, you dont want this looking like a piece of furniture.

Shift your p1 and coin buttons to the left of CP, that way you can put the 4 buttons in the front panel on the top panel.  If your 6'3 it will be a PITA to know what button you want to press as you will have to step back to see the labels.

Put the USB port under the CP not in the bezel, you will honestly only need 1 for maint purposes, unless you have 1 game that your gonna play over and over again that needs the actual sticks that require 2 players (highly unlikely)

Just plug in your wireless dongle for your keyboard in the mobo usb, no need for an external port.

That huge filter requires a huge amount of suction, and you only have 1 120mm fan for out draft, they make fans with filter systems that draw in air.  Your gonna need both, one to draw air in (with filter) and the other to push hot air out (top fan).

I'd lose the huge filter idea and substitute with a few more practical fans to help with circulation in your build.

on your monitor mount, try using metal straps, they work very well and are lighter in weight.  mark your holes, drill holes in the straps for the vesa holes, then attach straps to the bezel, and done.

Ya... price seemed high, especially when I'm designing, cutting and applying the thing... I also live middle of nowhere so, will check with the bigger cities, maybe some cheaper prices and have it shipped. I went to school for graphic design, would be nice to design something. :D

Knobs... agreed. Been debating that front... almost thinking of having the entire front piece open versus the frame and double door, make it even less obvious. The frame was to help with making the base stable, but the bottom shelf, back and sides will be permanently affixed so, probably stable enough. Use the idea @Richie_Jones had with the push-open catches, and those hidden cabinet hinges.

Filter was a debate as well, over 400sq/inches so it won't require much power to draw in air... but more work making an inset frame and given the amount of space inside the cabinet, may be overkill anyways. Might just make a door, add an air vent at the bottom, fan at the top, piano hinge and just blow the dust out once a year. Bottom half the back is being screwed in to make the base sturdier, top, I'll use screws but likely a frame with a door in the middle to access, since removing screws will be a pain.

Metal straps is a great idea. I plan to have the monitor sit in 1/2", that way it's not 3/4" in from the front, so it won't need any braces or anything else to keep it from sliding around. Straps should work great!

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 02:24:26 pm »
Also really think about what your going to store in that thing.  Your gonna have alot going in that space with your PC, wires etc.  The storage you will have will be very limited, so don't create your cab around storage and then end up just tossing crud in it cause it's there.  Also swinging doors eventually give out, and then you have the trashy look going on, plus you'll have light bleed from the doors, which will also make it janky.

I have an mATX which is pretty small... not putting a case or anything inside the cab, just the board on standoffs. It, the PSU, etc, will all sit on top of the base/storage. I have a panel separating the bottom from the top, the bottom will have the sides, bottom and back nailed/glued in place to make it sturdy. The front I was going to have a sort of frame attached and the doors, figured the frame would help make it more solid, but, been debating the doors. Handles for sure are gone, I like the idea of the push/release doors, and maybe a larger single door instead of split?

Anyways... computer guts should all fit on top of the storage space, solid sheet of wood between top/bottom so light bleed not an issue, plus I plan to get RGB LED strips behind the cabinet and under the controller (there's a small overhang of 1/4" between the front of the game control box and where the base is for a single LED strip). Storage also adds some weight to the bottom which should keep the cabinet pretty stable when playing, so long as what's being stored inside doesn't rattle around.

Garage right now is being rebuilt, will take likely this and next summer (120yr old chicken barn converted to a garage probably 50yrs ago). Too easy to get in/out of so, all my good tools are indoors... likely, under the arcade cabinet, will be all my air-tools. :)

Plan this week is to Sketchup the guts of the build to make sure all fits. Been wanting to learn Sketchup for years so, overkill to make the parts inside but same time I gotta draw something in Sketchup to learn so may as well be that. :D

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 11:21:41 am »
Nice... checked in London, ON (bigger city) for prices and yup... way cheaper.

Here for the sides, was $400.

Got 3 quotes... ranging $180-280, mentions of different materials and such. The $280 has done wraps for arcade and pinball machines in the past, and the price includes the acrylic sign for the top.

Updated the Sketchup diagram, switching to the pipe metal straps saved a decent amount of space inside allowing me to move the light switch back up to 4' from the ground.

Front door... made into a single door, and added a 1/4" panel for the front, just 7.875"x11" glued on... if enough space in my layout when printed I want to print out a coin-op panel and stick it on to make it look a bit more like a real arcade.

Dropped the rear air filter. Will just make a door with the 1/2" plywood being used on the back... will add a 140mm fan (in) at the bottom and a 140mm fan (out) at the top. I think I may have a small piece of peg board I may use instead, if not I'll just use the plywood.

Debated the 4-Aux buttons at the front... originally they were at the top of the control panel, but, decided to keep them at the front instead. Only 4 buttons... I suspect I'll use the PAUSE and CLOSE buttons often, not sure what to use the other 2 for yet, SAVE/RESUME probably, and set up some combos but, honestly not even sure what to map them to yet really other than maybe volume.

Just need to buy the wood now, and a few items off eBay still pending... hardest part now I think will be deciding what to design for the vinyl wrap... not even making it, just deciding is the hardest part. :D

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 06:12:56 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 07:40:34 pm »
That's a very nice slim design. I'm digging it. One tweak, the left joystick is a little too close to the left side panel. You might find yourself knocking against the side or not having any place to rest your hand between rounds of Street Fighter 2. I can't wait to see the artwork.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 08:10:54 pm »
I'd scrap the marquee and terminate the cabinet at the top of that speaker box, relocate the speakers and put the marquee there or leave speakers and bit the marquee in a proper kick plate with a coindoor.

But that's just my .02

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 10:51:44 pm »
That's a very nice slim design. I'm digging it. One tweak, the left joystick is a little too close to the left side panel. You might find yourself knocking against the side or not having any place to rest your hand between rounds of Street Fighter 2. I can't wait to see the artwork.

Weird... I was debating that today actually... I am liking the side profile, but, may make more sense to have the control panel sitting on top of the side panels rather than between them giving the left hand a few more inches. When I was designing, I took an image of the XArcade control panel, found the dimensions and imported into illustrator 1:1 scale because had no idea how wide to make the control panel, but ya... I was worried about the space as well.

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 10:59:08 pm »
I'd scrap the marquee and terminate the cabinet at the top of that speaker box, relocate the speakers and put the marquee there or leave speakers and bit the marquee in a proper kick plate with a coindoor.

But that's just my .02

First, I gotta say I miss Harvey Birdman... especially the earlier years when it was more traditionally animated.

Marquee... naw... can't lose that, look a bit goofy I think without that at the top. Side view wise, the top would just be an upside down triangle. Like if someone too a side view of a house and cut it in half.

Not sure what a proper kick plate means... coindoor, I plan to add an image of one, but an actual one would be a waste of money... plus if I add a coin door to make it look more authentic, then I definitely can't lose the marquee at the top.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 11:23:14 pm »
I just think it looks weird at the top. I mean I get that it's a slim cab but there isn't enough depth for my taste.

If you keep the marquee box I'd pull it forward more and then angle the speaker panel forward. But beleive me when I say you are lightyears ahead of much of the crap thay gets built around here these days.  At least you are cramming tons of spinners and ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- in there. And have chosen a 2 player design  layout which is a fine all around cabinet choice

And yes back when I got high everyday with my stoner freinds adultswim was appointment tv.  But I actually try to use the same name at all forums I frequent and this is my handle at the messageboards at atlantafalcons.com

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 10:33:04 am »
I get that, I re-worked that top a few times because for most revisions, it was way too big for the narrow part where it curved, but I wanted the marquee at the top, and wanted to avoid it jutting out because then (because of my height) I'd be trying to look through it to see the screen.

I also wanted to avoid the below, which I know is very common for cabinets, but always thought the way it jutted out and the angled back were a bit awkward looking... I wanted something a bit more balanced and had some consistency to it for angles and curves (ie. all 3 curves are done with a 7.5"diameter circle).

http://i42.tinypic.com/2zefrpy.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/4f/30/a9/4f30a979aa79f71a78889afa998bf821.jpg
http://orig12.deviantart.net/6769/f/2010/143/8/8/arcade_machine_side_view_by_hollowichigobanki.jpg

Original design was actually having that marquee forward more and the speakers on an angle... but again, the top curve area was too narrow. If I made the cab 6" deeper it would work but then it wouldn't fit where I have planned for it to go. :)

2 Player wise, honestly, I debated making it a 1 player... still am. Nieces/nephews say they wanna play it, but, all older and living on their own so, this machine getting played by 2 people at once... very rare. For the first while maybe, but 6 months later, I can guarantee it'll be a 1-player only machine. Could move the buttons over and make space for a cup holder. :D

And thanks for the compliment... good thing I didn't post my first few design ideas, looking back at those... ug... awful.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:35:33 am by THRobinson »

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 02:09:47 pm »
Definitely make it a two player. You've got plenty of space so I don't see why you'd miss off the 2 player controls...
The majority of mame games can be 2 player co-op that's the best part about them..
I like the design so far..

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 03:31:23 pm »
Thanks

Small tweaks left... but stuff that I can do at the end like the front and back door/panel. Rest I think is sorted.

Biggest issue now is, artwork... got some more quotes, and now within my budget so, need to design something. I plan to draw it all myself, instead of grabbing artwork... but not sure if I want to do a collage (bad guys left side/good guys right side) or something abstract like just lines and a logo (Last Starfighter) part of me wants to do the cabinet with Elvira Mistress of the Dark and draw it like the old Bally pinball machines... but instead of zombie people, I'd have zombie Mario, Pacman, Ryu, etc... or... a TRON theme, which would be even better if I could get the control panel plastic top, laser etched from the back and LED lights shining through.

Too many ideas... and likely get fed up and flat black it top-to-bottom. :D

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 03:36:03 pm »
I plan to draw it all myself, instead of grabbing artwork... but not sure if I want to do a collage (bad guys left side/good guys right side) or something abstract like just lines and a logo (Last Starfighter) part of me wants to do the cabinet with Elvira Mistress of the Dark and draw it like the old Bally pinball machines...
If you're an artist, and a proficient one at that, I commend you. Doing a lot of different characters in a collage is a big undertaking. If you're experienced with it and have a good process, that's great. If not, I can tell you it's going to be a long road ahead of you. I've done quite a few of these, and it's not a trivial thing.
I would recommend the simpler route, TBH.

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 05:04:03 pm »
I have a diploma in Art and another in Graphic Design, and never did anything with either. :D

Haven't done real illustration work in a decade, and I use to love woodworking and haven't done that in 20yrs. This project is great because gives me a chance to get back into that stuff.

That said I'm very nit-picky, and will overwork the heck outta this thing... heck, I'm doing that now and I haven't even drawn anything yet. :D

Also why something simpler like The Last Starfighter cabinet is ideal.

Do you have a site with your work on it anywhere?

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 05:57:46 pm »
yep check his sig.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 07:54:12 pm »
Yeah my blog has my gaming related illustrations. Mainly work I've done for hire here and on the klov forums. It also has a bunch of random hobby and gaming related posts.

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 12:51:21 pm »
Resurrection!!!!!

Thanks to a few delays, car issues, etc... I've had this build in progress for years now. Parts in a box collecting dust.

Used the RaspPi for another project so now have an upgraded 3B+ to use, and 128Gb SD card.

Cab has had a few minor tweaks done. Slight angle changes here and there, few internal changes as well. Simplified what I could and improved a few things.

Looking forward to posting some pics of the progress now that I'm having some. :D

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2020, 02:31:53 pm »
Undercab storage I would think on a downsized cab wouldn't be all that practical and just add more work...I like the design, (although I didn't look at the height) But If you were clever you could always use a riser if needed from a arcade1... There have been serious advances in Powder coating wood in the last few years, mostly for high production store shelving, but like metal offers many options at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 02:33:54 pm by jennifer »

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2020, 12:37:57 pm »
@jennifer

Ya, the newer/modded version simplified things a bit. Initially I needed a space saver cab, but have since rearranged things and hung many guitars on the walls etc, so, space not an issue anymore.

Base frame will be made of 2x4's, the sides/front will attach to that, and 3 braces across the back, otherwise just leaving it wide open. It's no longer saving any space at all... it's a bit narrower than many, but not as narrow as others. Looking at about 6'2" tall, 26" wide, and 21" deep at the very base.

Just built it from cardboard this past weekend to see how it is at 1:1 scale and everything seems fine. Good level for controls, screen is a decent height and angle, and best of all, it has a marquee but it's set back and not right in my face. I'm 6'3" tall and a traditional design would have me hunched over a bit resting my forehead on the marquee to see the screen.

Revised Cab