Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 10551 times)

dkersten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
What do you think?
« on: July 05, 2017, 10:22:34 am »
With the 4th of July holiday comes sales.  I've been taking advantage of some of them to buy stuff I will need as my house is being built (wire mostly, 15% off at monoprice, woot woot).  But now I have a choice to make and I am wondering what you guys would do...

I will need a new refrigerator in January (left the old one with the old house), and I already have the money set aside for it.  Right now, I can get it for $1000 off.  It's possible that it will go on the same kind of sale between now and January, but then it's also possible that it could go up in price before then, or the next sale isn't as good on this particular one. 

It's the same model I bought before, and I was happy with it, and I really don't care about the crazy new technology of having cameras in the fridge, or big touch screens on the door.  All the other appliances are Whirlpool gold series, so I am pretty set on staying with that brand as well as the model.  I also have the space in one of the rented garages to store it, unopened so that it doesn't get damaged.  The garage is unheated, and this winter it will likely get well below freezing out there, but that shouldn't be an issue for a brand new fridge.

So the upsides:  Guaranteed to save $1000 (plus another $100 by using the Lowes credit card).  Peace of mind that one more item is checked off the list of things to do (it's a long list, lol). 

The downsides:  #1 is warranty.  I would have half the regular warranty by the time I plug it in.  #2 would be the cost of moving it a second time (not huge considering I will be paying movers anyway).  #3, the possibility of physical damage I can't see until I unbox it.  And #4, the possibility that they could come out with a better model for cheaper right before I need it.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:32:37 am »
As long as someone else is moving it, just get it bro and don't let your boy near it.

Dance with the devil you know, you'll always compare a different model to what you "were happy with and could have had"

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:33:13 am »

I would just wait for the Presidents' Day sales once you have the house.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:14:49 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 10:36:35 am »
Storing it seems like asking for trouble to me.  Takes like 5 minutes to get the fridge once you actually need it.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 10:42:24 am »
Does Lowes offer an extended delivery schedule/Layaway for XMAS ?? -- perhaps you could order it now and have it delivered when you are ready - or pay for the layaway so that the final payment is when you are ready - That would also get around the warranty as IIRC they start on the delivery date.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:55:06 am »
Does Lowes offer an extended delivery schedule/Layaway for XMAS ?? -- perhaps you could order it now and have it delivered when you are ready - or pay for the layaway so that the final payment is when you are ready - That would also get around the warranty as IIRC they start on the delivery date.
Good call, I will find out if they can do that..

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:56:29 am »
Storing it seems like asking for trouble to me.  Takes like 5 minutes to get the fridge once you actually need it.
Except you only see the big 30+% sales on this stuff a couple times a year.  Not sure when or if there will be another this year.  And when we finally get to move in, we will need a fridge that day, it's not exactly something you can wait a few months to get, lol.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 11:02:08 am »

^This^

I'm all for saving money, but not at the expense of potentially damaging a discounted appliance by storing it and then transporting it to another location.  You have the store deliver it.... then if it gets a dent you can send it back. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 11:08:07 am »
Or shove it off onto the sucker that buys your house....

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 11:42:12 am »

You don't need a fridge that day or at least you don't need that fridge that day.  Pick up a small used one on CL at the time until you can get the one you want.  Then flip that fridge for what you paid or stick it in the garage/basement/etc.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 01:23:17 pm »
Or shove it off onto the sucker that buys your house....
I would never do that...   :angel:

I have no guilt, he got that fridge for free...

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 01:34:16 pm »
I'm all for saving money, but not at the expense of potentially damaging a discounted appliance by storing it and then transporting it to another location.  You have the store deliver it.... then if it gets a dent you can send it back.
Based on my previous experience, I would tend to agree, lol.  In this case, the hardware store would deliver it to my garage where it would sit until January when a moving company would move it into the new kitchen.  In either move, the movers would be liable.  The only risk of damage is sitting in my garage where something could fall on it if I were digging around trying to get something out of the back of the garage...  It would still be wrapped up in the packing material that does a pretty good job of protecting it.  But that being said, yeah, potential damage is my biggest fear.  But $1000... damn, I'd hate to miss out on that...

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 01:48:43 pm »
Do you need a new one?  Can you not locate a used one? Apparently they are cheaper.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 02:07:44 pm »
Do you need a new one?  Can you not locate a used one? Apparently they are cheaper.
Need is relative, lol.

I NEED a refrigerator.  I WANT a new one.  I also WANT the new one to match the other stainless appliances and fit in with a high end kitchen. I also WANT to save $1000, lol.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 02:08:41 pm »
I read online that they will hold appliances, now I just need to go in and see how long they will hold them. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 02:31:26 pm »
A lot of things could happen.  House might not be finished on time.  An awesome new fridge might come out by then.
I like nickel and diming stuff ahead of time, but it isn't worth the risk.  I'd rather have to wait for the next sale after moving in.
(put a free craigslist fridge in the garage to hold you over)

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 06:36:56 pm »
Lowes will hold an appliance indefinitely, specifically more than 6 months.  And I can cancel the order at any time.  The salesman I spoke with suggested that the other big sale like this (up to 40% off appliances) that they do each year will be in November.

I have until the 12th to decide if I want to pay now and guarantee at least the $1100 savings (with the 5% from using lowes card), and return it in November if I find a better deal, or just wait until November and pick something out then.  Only risk would be if they pushed back when I tried to cancel the order. 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 09:27:12 pm »
Buy a fridge from Best Buy, because I have always wondered why they have been selling fridges since the dawn of time and who is buying a fridge from Best Buy?

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 09:41:50 pm »
Buy a fridge from Best Buy, because I have always wondered why they have been selling fridges since the dawn of time and who is buying a fridge from Best Buy?
Twice the price for half the product.. Excellent business model, lol

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 09:51:09 pm »
Well it can't be THAT bad a model... they somehow ran circuit city out of business.  Then again there is a significant amount of the population that is just plain ignorant when it comes to tech.  When I tell people that I NEVER buy a computer or computer accessory in a store they get a puzzled look.  When I explain that you pay a minimum of 50% more when you buy a computer in store as opposed to online they STILL give me a puzzled look. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 08:59:18 am »

Best Buy finances damn near anyone.  That's why.  They don't sell computers and fridges.  They sell high interest consumer loans.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 09:05:06 am »
Well it can't be THAT bad a model... they somehow ran circuit city out of business.  Then again there is a significant amount of the population that is just plain ignorant when it comes to tech.  When I tell people that I NEVER buy a computer or computer accessory in a store they get a puzzled look.  When I explain that you pay a minimum of 50% more when you buy a computer in store as opposed to online they STILL give me a puzzled look.

One time, in public, I overheard a woman insisting that one tablet was better than the other because it came from Best Buy instead of Walmart.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 10:01:04 am »
Best Buy actually has a great selection of appliances and much like Home Depot and Lowes they are almost always on sale.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 10:03:37 am »

On sale like womens' clothing.  Marked up 80% and discounted 30% this week only.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 10:42:34 am »
I shop Best Buy all the time.  I can grab a FireTV box, Chromecast, or Fire Tablet there for the same price as anywhere else, including Amazon.  And I have bought hard drives, switches, routers, RAM, etc. there because there are three choices for that sort of thing here: Online, Office Depot, or Best Buy.  If I need it now, they are the best chance.  But their "high end" is mid range stuff marked up.  I shop them for Blu Rays too, and have found some good deals. 

I have never seen appliances lower than Lowes or Home Depot, and in our city, Lowes, HD, Best Buy, and one dedicated appliance shop, Fred's, are all right in a group with adjoining parking lots.  So shopping them against each other is easy.  When I bought my fridge last time, I hit Best Buy to see if they had better, and they had the same model for $400 more, also "on sale". 

I think ChadTower is right, they stay in business because they finance stuff.  They make it convenient to buy stuff you don't need, even if you can't afford it, and that is a great business model.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 10:58:20 am »
  When I bought my fridge last time, I hit Best Buy to see if they had better, and they had the same model for $400 more, also "on sale". 

Are you sure it was the same model?  Best Buy, Lowe's, etc all have unique model numbers for the stuff they carry even if the item is identical.  It prevents price matching policy from being applicable.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 11:06:17 am »

Zzzz.... let's talk about how Apple is overpriced or something now.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 11:32:22 am »
Ok.... apple is overpriced.  I think that covers it. 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 11:41:18 am »
I think Lowes has become the defacto choice now for most appliances, there prices always seem better than Home Depot.

Funny thing is not even that long ago Sears was always the defacto choice for appliances. As ---smurfy--- as their customer service has always been at the store I always went to anyway there products were always the opposite, I can't believe how much they dropped the ball.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 11:42:55 am »

On sale like womens' clothing.  Marked up 80% and discounted 30% this week only.

And jewelry.  That stuff is always on sale.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2017, 12:02:58 pm »
Bed Bath and Beyond always made my laugh with that %20 off on your purchase coupon they would hand out everywhere. Everything in the store was marked up %35 to %40 even compared to something like Target. They would actually feel bad if you did not have the coupon, still I don't think there was a woman on this plant that did not think they were getting a deal coming in that store with their %20 off.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2017, 12:10:20 pm »

I have never seen appliances lower than Lowes or Home Depot, and in our city, Lowes, HD, Best Buy, and one dedicated appliance shop, Fred's, are all right in a group with adjoining parking lots.  So shopping them against each other is easy.  When I bought my fridge last time, I hit Best Buy to see if they had better, and they had the same model for $400 more, also "on sale". 

YMMV.  When we bought a new washer and dryer a few years ago Best Buy had the best deal.  Heck when we replaced our iMac a few years ago it was cheaper for me to buy it at Best Buy than to use my Apple educational discount.  They are not always the cheapest but with this stuff it is often about timing.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 12:10:39 pm »
If Blockbuster had only purchased Netflix when they had the chance.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 05:30:29 pm »
Bed Bath and Beyond always made my laugh with that %20 off on your purchase coupon they would hand out everywhere. Everything in the store was marked up %35 to %40 even compared to something like Target. They would actually feel bad if you did not have the coupon, still I don't think there was a woman on this plant that did not think they were getting a deal coming in that store with their %20 off.
I went to Kohls and bought a bunch of clothes and some sheets one day.  Picked the stuff that was "50% off" or BOGO.  At checkout, I used a kohls card for 10% more off and the the lady at the register rings it up and says, "You saved Five hundred and eighty five dollars today."  Two ladies behind me exclaim (yes, exclaim) "OMG, $585??  We need to shop with you!".  SMH.  I SPENT $400 that day, I didn't SAVE anything.

You only SAVE money when you buy electronics on sale, right?  And guns...

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 05:48:59 pm »
I think Kohls is one of the grand masters when it comes to promoting fake savings for stupid ass women.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 06:56:01 pm »
I think Kohls is one of the grand masters when it comes to promoting fake savings for stupid ass women.
I agree.  But when it comes to clothes, it is the equivalent of Men's Warehouse for men, lol.  I went in to get a new jacket and maybe a shirt.  Picked out two shirts, grabbed a new tie, one sport coat, and for good measure, a pair of dress pants.  Signed up for the credit card to save 25%.  Went to ring it up and there was also a BOGO that just started that day.  So back to picking stuff out.  Another sport coat, two more shirts, another pair of pants, and the accessories were Buy One Get Two free, so two more ties, and hell, while I'm at it, lets get some socks and pocket squares too.  I walked out with 2 jackets, 4 shirts, 2 pairs of pants, 3 ties, 3 squares, 9 pairs of socks, and the total was $750.  Regular price was somewhere north of $1800.  And I got it all altered to fit, lol. 

One could say they saw me coming from a mile away.  Two months later, my company sold to a larger corporation and I now find myself traveling and spending a lot of time at meeting tables where I can't wear my usual t-shirt and jeans and all those new fancy clothes are being put to good use... And I have to say, when you dress the part, you start to feel the part.  So maybe I came out ahead after all, lol. 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 08:11:44 pm »
Ya but at least there is something to the altered to fit part of the price so you are walking out getting exactly what you want. otherwise you might have paid half the price but you picked out things that you thought were close enough later to decide it not close enough and never wore it.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 08:25:17 pm »
We were in Lowes tonight looking at dish washers.  The salesman said that this is the last big sale they have until Thanksgiving.   So you should get another chance before January.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2017, 09:54:49 pm »
The salesman told you should get it now or you will miss the sale… wow

wp34

• Offline Offline