Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 10542 times)

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 11:49:45 pm »
Ok.... apple is overpriced.  I think that covers it.

Quality over quantity.  My Apple gear still works 10 years on without needing an upgrade. I have a G4 that does more than my PC laptop.

I'll take quality anytime.

You kids can buy the cheap ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, then moan about it.  Need to look at the price, then you cannot afford it.

Worse part is I'm not even an Apple fanboi.  Their ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- just works.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 11:50:10 pm »
Yeah, the salesman told me the same - Big sale in November, but until then this is it. 

Current sale lasts until the 12th, lots of time to think it over.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2017, 12:14:26 am »
Ok.... apple is overpriced.  I think that covers it.

Quality over quantity.  My Apple gear still works 10 years on without needing an upgrade. I have a G4 that does more than my PC laptop.

I'll take quality anytime.

You kids can buy the cheap ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, then moan about it.  Need to look at the price, then you cannot afford it.

Worse part is I'm not even an Apple fanboi.  Their ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- just works.
I'm all for quality over savings as long as it makes sense.  These days Apple makes no sense.  A 7th gen core i5 doesn't perform better when in a white box than in a black box, regardless of the kind of fruit painted on the back of the monitor.  Apple's OS runs everything slower except Adobe products.

My daughter just passed the "gate" into the graphic design program at the university she is attending.  The requirement for her last 2 years there is an Apple macbook pro.  Awesome, I have to buy her a $2600 laptop that has the exact hardware a $700 dell has.  Or I can buy a 3 year old Apple laptop for $1200 that can't outperform a brand new $350 HP with a core i3 and 4 megs of ram.  All so her instructors don't have to say "on PC's, use 'control' instead of 'command'."

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2017, 11:49:52 am »
All my built desktop gaming PC have all just worked since Windows 7 but because there are so many different drivers and hardware out there it does not seem to be the case for everyone. I guess it is a little like buying a suit, do you want to pay twice as much to make sure it is taylor fit or do you want to take the gamble and get something that might not just all work. Plus for me I do so much messing around in VR, gaming and 3d modeling I would never get an apple for that reason alone.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 02:06:01 pm »
I guess it is a little like buying a suit, do you want to pay twice as much to make sure it is taylor fit or do you want to take the gamble and get something that might not just all work.
I would refine this analogy:
Do you want to buy your jacket, pants, and shirt at shops you like, then take them to your tailor to have altered to fit.  You run the risk of your choices either not quite matching or not even being alterable to begin with, BUT you get to choose from hundreds of brands, colors, fabrics, and ultimately can create thousands of combinations.
OR
Do you want to go to a specialty shop and buy a suit that is already picked out to match and all ready to tailor to your frame, but costs 2-4 times as much as the other option and there are three choices, black, brown, or blue.

If you suck at coordinating your clothing, or if you aren't paying attention and get something that is not able to be altered, you will end up with a suit that just doesn't work.  But if you know what to look for and have some sense of style, you can save a TON of money and can choose to stand out in the crowd or blend in without anyone the wiser.  Only snobs will point out that your suit doesn't have the same popular label as theirs does.

THAT is the difference between Apple and "the rest of us". 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 03:03:39 pm »
Bad analogies.  Say you are going to do some gardening and need a shovel.  You go to Lowes.... they have a shovel for 20 bucks... it's just a shovel.  You go to this hipster all organic gardening supply store in the gentrified part of town.  They sell pineapple shovels, which are really trendy.  These shovels come in a custom wood case, are polished to a high sheen and are supposedly better at shoveling (in reality they are only sometimes better and even then only marginally so).  You look at the price tag.... 150 friggin dollars.  Now if you are the type of person that shows off their tools to everyone the pineapple  is indeed flashy, but you just need a shovel, for, you know, shoveling, so you run back to Lowes as quick as you can and never bother to go to that stupid hipster hardware store again.  You also notice shovel parts on sale at Lowes.  With them you can build a shovel for a mere 5 dollars, but there are rows and rows of handles and blades in different shapes and sizes and they don't really tell you which will work well with which.  Some people can build the shovel of their dreams that way and some can't because they are clumsy doofuses who literally can't stil a handle in a hole.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2017, 04:43:00 pm »
I've never had to assemble my own shovel from various parts from various stores, so I don't really identify with that analogy.   :dunno

But here is something I do identify with: 
I am trying to put together a nicely converged home automation system.  Speakers in every room with centralized source distribution and control, security system, remote controllable door locks, window blinds, and lights, cameras all around the house that can be viewed from any device in the house or in my pocket, a climate control system that can also be controlled any way I choose, and voice control, wall keypads, and wall mounted touch screens to control it all.

The tech is there, but making it all work together is tricky.  If you have the money or simply don't have the capability or desire to tinker until it works, you can go to any number of dealers and get a complete system to make it all work.  You are buying a single polished product that just works, but everything you add to it will cost 3-4 times more than the generic stuff that does the exact same thing.  There is also a certain amount of prestige associated with the brands, even in the entry level. 

Or you can do the research, find products that are DIY friendly and can work together, and then start building your system with the help of other DIY'ers.  Some of the parts are high end, some are as cheap as it gets because you don't NEED high end to get the desired result.  But it is YOUR choice, 100% from start to finish.  Will it all work the way you want?  Depends on your skill and how much you are willing to research ahead of time.  And not only do you get to choose from a wider variety of products, you also save money.  Upwards of 75%.

That, to me, is Apple computer products.  Limited choices, out of the box functionality, and premium prices to match VS. something you can put together yourself and meet or exceed the performance for a fraction of the price.  It's all a matter of what you are after and how hard you are willing to work for it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2017, 04:44:38 pm »
Arcade collectors suck at analogies.   :embarassed:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2017, 04:28:56 pm »
   I would LOVE me some pinapple shovels...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6BUPvE2sM.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2017, 05:47:35 pm »
Horray that jennifer is alive...

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2017, 10:04:38 pm »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2017, 10:38:33 pm »
   I would LOVE me some pinapple shovels...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6BUPvE2sM.

She's back!!!
FAKE NEWS!!!, What is your source sir? .....(Giggle, and laugh and laugh).... You guys make it sound as if Honeypoo is dead or something ;)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2017, 12:14:20 am »

She's back!!!
FAKE NEWS!!!, What is your source sir? .....(Giggle, and laugh and laugh).... You guys make it sound as if Honeypoo is dead or something ;)

We missed you, baby!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2017, 01:33:59 pm »
We have been shopping for appliances the last couple of weeks during "Black Friday".  For the models we are looking at the sales prices between Lowes, Best Buy and Home Depot are all within a dollar or two of each other.  It is a bit uncanny how close they are.  I assume the manufacturers are setting these sale prices for them.  The only difference we are finding is in the rebates being offered at each store. 

The model numbers have all matched so far as well which surprised me.  The only odd thing we have seen is that Best Buy doesn't carry the stove that goes with one set we are looking at while Lowes does.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2017, 10:35:36 am »
I agree, I even read an article that said many manufacturers are setting prices for the Christmas sales and any stores that have distribution agreements have to follow them.  I have seen it on TV's, electronics, appliances, tools, etc. this year.

I did pull the trigger on the fridge about 2 weeks ago.  There is an upgrade too, they discontinued the regular stainless model and it is now "fingerprint resistant" stainless.  Looks the same (doesn't look like there is a coating or paint on the stainless) but actually does really good on resisting fingerprints.  Otherwise identical fridge to the old model.  The interesting thing about the pricing model is I got this one for $1899 (regular $2899) and the upgrade model with the middle drawer split into two drawers which is regularly $3099 is only on sale for $2899.  Not sure why two models nearly identical with one small difference have such drastically different sale prices.  The one I got is 40% off, the other is only 10% off.   

I'm happy, the house closes on Dec 22, and delivery is set for the same day.  I won't be touching this fridge until it is in place and working, and if there is the slightest blemish, it goes back, lol.  Of course, something will happen in the first few weeks and I will have a dent or a ding of some kind.  It's just the nature of things..

Oh, and by waiting I did save a few dollars, although I was in such a hurry to get in, buy it, and get home, I forgot to use my Lowes card for the extra 5%... I used my regular card for only 1.5%, so I lost out on ~65 in savings.  Oh well..

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2017, 11:05:58 am »
Glad it worked out for you.  We finally pulled the trigger on our appliances last night--also at Lowes.   :cheers:

Funny thing though.  The sales associate noticed that the way their computer split the purchase on to two receipts was not going to work with the rebates being offered.  We have to go back in later this week and he is going to help me finagle the rebate applications.  This doesn't bother me a whole lot because Lowe's is 5 minutes from our house but it is still very odd.