Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RGB Commander for beginner  (Read 3833 times)

Alphastacker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2021, 05:57:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
RGB Commander for beginner
« on: August 18, 2017, 07:34:41 pm »
I am hoping someone can help me.  I am new to raspberry pi and have no command line experience.

I am able to access my pi from putty and get the the command line but the first step in the instructions is to "Extract the archive on the Raspberry Pi."  I have downloaded the file from the website but I am not sure the next steps.  I have tried a couple of things but really have no idea what I am doing.

Anyone able to help a complete beginner?

Thanks

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Re: RGB Commander for beginner
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 06:25:55 am »
Extract the zip (?) on your PC/Mac/whatever. Then use something like WinSCP to connect to your RPi and upload the extracted file(s) to your Pi. Remember the folder you put it in. Navigate to that folder with Putty (cd /my/folder or something). Then proceed with the next steps listed at http://users.telenet.be/rgbcommander/ (so chmod and then run the setup etc.).

At least that's what I would do after reading the instructions.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:07:08 pm by barrymossel »

slickam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:46:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: RGB Commander for beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 03:44:53 pm »
You can use this command in the directory where you downloaded the file to extract it:
Code: [Select]
tar xvzf RGBcommander_0403_beta1.tar.gz
"tar" is the program you need to extract .tar.gz or .tgz files in linux. "x" is the option to extract a file, "v" means "verbose" and will print the list of files it's extracting on screen, "z" will use gzip compression (the .gz in the file name), and "f" says that the next item on the command line is the file name to work with.