Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NBA JAM Restoration Question.  (Read 3004 times)

madrandomize

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2017, 11:19:49 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
NBA JAM Restoration Question.
« on: July 03, 2017, 05:22:02 pm »
       Hello from Greece.Collecting arcades here is a difficult sport cause of the lack of original arcade pcb's and cabinets.

95% of arcade game pcbs are either bootlegs or the cabinets are weird boxes made by the local carpenter and slapped with some stickers.

Recently i found an original 4 player NBA JAM arcade cabinet,all in original state with its stickers,hologram and serial number in very good condition,all for 0 cost cause it was going for scrap.

Now to my question!
The stickers are faded heavily (to the point of it looking black and white),do you think that by removing this old side art i am
de-valuing or lowering the authenticity or the price of my arcade cabinet?

If not ,should i buy from ebay the side art or use some 300mb high res scans from klov/vaps to print them locally in vinyl.

The problem is that i don't think i can reproduce them exactly as it was originally, due to the lack of available materials locally.

Buying from ebay is also difficult due to capital controls and weird customs in Greece.
Keep in mind that the cost is roughly the same (around 120 euros) and that is also 1/4 of my monthly salary (it sucks...)

Best regards.

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:23:43 pm
Re: NBA JAM Restoration Question.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 09:54:48 am »
It all depends on your skillset. Right now the cabinet is fully original, yet faded/damaged. This is the base worth.  If you replace the side art with proper ones and fix some possible small issues, you will own an authentic "restored" cabinet, with increase of value. Here comes the risk: what could be a very nice restored (expensive) cabinet, is easily ruined by poor workmanship or materials. If you don't do it right, the value will suffer.

As for the side are, the ebay guys (usually) got the right sources and materials to supply a very good match to the original. You can have it made locally, but make sure you get the properly matte laminated polymer vinyl stickers at least.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:45:50 am »
   Just the fact its complete and working where you live IS its value, You would almost have to try to make it worth any less than it is right now (Although your in the wrong hobby if your in it for the money), New art is FUN, and colorful and offers self worth after about the third time when you finally get it right and get no air bubbles. The best thing you could do for it right now is get it out of the sun before the uv bleaches the rest of it too, including the monitor....Fun old game, enjoy it friend. ;)

madrandomize

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2017, 11:19:49 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 07:55:47 am »
        Thanks for all the answers guys.

I am not going to proceed with the restoration right now,if i am going to do it,it will be a proper restore with bondo sanding and edge filling and new t-molding and stuff.

The reason is because if i dont do it properly it will not look better and indeed look worse in the end.

I am not in it for the money or profit neither because these machines cannot be bought or sold here even for as little as 50 euros...The cost of moving it or the place it occupies is prohibiting since many of us live in not so big places cause of the rent prices.It will have to wait for now at least for when i gather all materials and time to have a go at it properly.

Again thanks for all the replies and be sure that i will ask for more in the future.
Also i just got a umk3 pcb and i am tinkering with it at the moment and i am trying to find mk2 and mk1 locally.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:33:10 pm »
    Don't let Jennifer scare you, A clean working game can be traded , that's what I mean as "that is its value" its almost like cash.... I have (once upon a time) bought some container games from Greece, and what your saying isn't far removed from truth. They were in very tough shape, a paperwork/logistics nightmare and cost a small fortune in shipping. The broker was really fun though, He would get all language frustrated at me and just yell NO!....Then we would have to start all over.