Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiring problem  (Read 965 times)

Roboman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2024, 10:13:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wiring problem
« on: July 01, 2017, 09:33:45 pm »
Beginner's wiring question! Apologies in advance.
I was upgrading the buttons and their microwsitches on my x-arcade tankstick, so I removed the spade terminals from the microswitches using needle nose pliers.
On removing some of them, one of the two wires on the COM switch crimp came out. I did my best to reattach it.
On finishing the upgrade, two of the new buttons, and two existing old buttons, don't work. It looks like they're all on the same daisy chain.

So my question:
Do I have to buy new crimps and reattach the COMs wires to these?
Are these buttons like old fairy lights and if the first on the chain is down the rest wont work?
Is there a technique to removing the spade terminals without inadvertently yanking them and risk pulling the wires out the crimps? I found it hard to get them off without using a bit of force sometimes.

Many thanks!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Wiring problem
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 10:47:06 pm »
You gotta make sure you are grabbing the crimped part of the QD with the pliers.  If you had wires pull loose, you were grabbing the wires instead.

Post a pic of your "repair", we might see something.  Do you own an meter?  If so, check the continuity from end to end on the chain and work your way in till you find the bad connection.

Roboman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2024, 10:13:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Wiring problem
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 01:43:39 am »
Thanks for the tip, man.
Turned out the connector on the board for that daisy chain had come very slightly loose - not discernible on a first look - and that was the root of the problem.
The whole wire coming out of the crimp threw me in the wrong direction. Doh!
I got a multi-meter on my trip to the electrical store to get new crimps, so I'm armed for next time.
Ah well, at least I learnt some stuff and it's working again.
The tankstick is fulfilling its role as a good test machine to muck about with, before I build my ipac MAME cab.
I've attached a pic of the new Ultimarc chrome buttons I put in.
Even un-illuminated I like them, they match the red of the tankstick artwork, and they feel a lot better than the stock ones.