Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monitor dead?  (Read 1518 times)

Foxsec

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2017, 09:26:10 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Monitor dead?
« on: June 29, 2017, 06:21:23 pm »
Hey guys. I'm converting a standing Megatouch Maxx Crown machine into my own arcade but I'm having some problems with the screen.

I hooked it up to the motherboard via VGA and plugged in the power cable. The screen seems to light up very briefly and then instantly flash off. I used the light on my phone to see if there was anything on the screen at all and there was nothing.

I have provided a video to explain what I mean.

Any help with this at all would be appreciated.

If it is broken I am probably going to replace the monitor but am unsure of the size, I think it is 21 inch.

Video of screen:

Many thanks! :)

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:53:16 am
Re: Monitor dead?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 06:39:02 am »
It's a CRT screen, so there is no backlight for you to light up with the phone  :dizzy:

That flash is the monitor shutting off, either from a malfuncion, protection, or possibly a wrong input resolution. Does the same thing happen when you power it on without a signal?

snappleman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2022, 10:11:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Monitor dead?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:17:19 pm »
You most likely have a bad component (capacitor/resistor/diode/IC etc) in the power section. That's usually a very simple fix (provided you know what you're doing). In some TVs/monitors there are protection circuits built in that will shut the set off when there's too much B+ voltage as that can produce X-rays.

You should definitely do what mourix suggested and try different inputs. If you still have the issue then what you can do is turn off and unplug the monitor, wait a couple minutes and then open it up and have a look to see if there are any components that look damaged. Look for burnt out resistors and blown out/bulging capacitors around where the AC cable connects. Then you can look for the fuse that's around there and see if it looks burnt on the inside. Don't touch anything unless you know what you're doing. Just look around first. If you feel like fixing anything then it's a different matter.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:18:54 pm by snappleman »