Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Magnets and Modular Control Panel  (Read 4369 times)

ListerD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2019, 04:20:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Magnets and Modular Control Panel
« on: June 29, 2017, 04:25:27 pm »
I'm in the middle of building a cab with a modular control panel, and was thinking about using magnets for securing the modular panels to the control housing.  I'm comfortable with this not interfering with the PC or the LCD monitor.  However, I'm less certain about it affecting the controller wiring.  I'm using ethernet cables for wiring the buttons and sticks and am not sure if that will interfere.   Also not certain about the trackball or spinner.  Anyone know if magnets would be an issue?  Was thinking a metal strip secured to the front and back rails on the control housing, with one rare earth magnet (1/2" diameter) at the front and back of each modular panel. 

Was also thinking about velcro stripping, but that seems less convenient.  Would also consider other options.  I'm just trying to avoid having to be super precise with the exact placement and alignment of a dowel or cap screw hole on each modular panel. 

GeoMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:17:57 pm
Re: Magnets and Modular Control Panel
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:26:23 pm »
If you consider that the Ultrastick joysticks contain a magnet attached at the bottom of the shaft and in the middle of their circuitry i don't think that you will have any problems.

And you can still use some aluminum foil for shielding nearby cables if you are worried about magnetic fields.

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 01:43:10 am »
I had his idea years ago but I was going to use strong electro magnets to hold the CP pieces in place. And when you want to swap something you hit a switch that powers down the electro magnets so that everything is loose. Never investigated it much but it's an interesting idea. Also it might be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. But i dunno.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 11:12:05 am »
I've tried using magnets for a couple applications like this and it never really worked out very well. You'll have to use some pretty powerful rare earth magnets to have much effect at all.

I like the idea of electomagnets, that might work.

Otherwise, I'd thing about using dowel pins, or maybe cabinet latches or something similar.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:18:23 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 04:50:56 pm »
Extensive use of powerful magnets for holding down panels is probably newer territory, due to the bad effects of getting them anywhere near a CRT.  Now that LCD's are becoming the norm, it's probably not a bad idea.

If there was some kind of framework to prevent lateral motion, and the magnets are used only for holding it down, I imagine it would be quite effective. 

telengard

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:49:33 am
  • Yeah, it's a classic! 21+ on BYOAC and still goin
    • S T U R C A D E
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 06:09:53 pm »
I'm in the middle of building a cab with a modular control panel, and was thinking about using magnets for securing the modular panels to the control housing.  I'm comfortable with this not interfering with the PC or the LCD monitor.  However, I'm less certain about it affecting the controller wiring.  I'm using ethernet cables for wiring the buttons and sticks and am not sure if that will interfere.   Also not certain about the trackball or spinner.  Anyone know if magnets would be an issue?  Was thinking a metal strip secured to the front and back rails on the control housing, with one rare earth magnet (1/2" diameter) at the front and back of each modular panel. 

Was also thinking about velcro stripping, but that seems less convenient.  Would also consider other options.  I'm just trying to avoid having to be super precise with the exact placement and alignment of a dowel or cap screw hole on each modular panel.

Unless you have the lightest touch imaginable velcro or magnets aren't going to cut it.  I have modular panels and even held down with screws I sometimes worry about them coming loose.  Are you considering these methods to avoid having to screw/unscrew them on/off?
S T U R C A D E     M.A.M.E. Cabinet
http://www.briansturk.com/mame.html

GeoMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:17:57 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 10:17:12 am »

If you make your panel to "lock" in place prohibiting all lateral movement and only use the magnets to prevent the panel's upward movement you will be fine.

Unless you have the lightest touch imaginable velcro or magnets aren't going to cut it.  I have modular panels and even held down with screws I sometimes worry about them coming loose.  Are you considering these methods to avoid having to screw/unscrew them on/off?

Cynicaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2021, 12:12:55 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 01:51:04 pm »
I use magnets in my swappable panels setup (i.e., full panels, not modules) and it works great.  But, in that setup I have small blocks on the underside of the panels that prevent them from sliding around (this is a very important part of the design).  I imagine that would be much more difficult to do with a modular setup. 

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:18:23 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 03:30:50 pm »
There are very powerful magnets available nowadays.  Like Cynicaster wrote, you need to prevent sliding.  If you use the right size, type and number of magnets, you could make a panel so hard to remove, it would take some kind of tool/lever to pop it loose.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:59:02 am »
There are very powerful magnets available nowadays.  Like Cynicaster wrote, you need to prevent sliding.  If you use the right size, type and number of magnets, you could make a panel so hard to remove, it would take some kind of tool/lever to pop it loose.

Find yourself a dead HDD and use the magnets out the drive assembly.  Just be careful as you can break fingers accidentally.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 12:45:17 pm »
Find yourself a dead HDD and use the magnets out the drive assembly.  Just be careful as you can break fingers accidentally.

This is quoted for truth,  A colleague at work did it when pulling them apart and they snapped back together. Oh how we laughed  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

ListerD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 11:25:09 pm »
So I did end up using rare earth magnets in combination with proper fitting across the width and friction hold at top and bottom.  Worked out great.  I'm using a dent puller to pop the panels up when they need to be swapped.  Will be posting the project soon as it is phase I complete.  I've discovered that an arcade cab is never "done". 

Thanks to all for the feedback!

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 08:47:34 am »
I used simple/cheap kitchen cabinet magnets from the hardware store on my last build.

Made the panel a snug fit and everything clicks in no fuss. No problem with gameplay.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 09:04:02 am »
+1 on the old hard drive magnets.
Very strong, probably wouldnt need over two.
You could fasten the magnets in the cabinet and have square pieces of thin iron on each panel.
There was a young mechanic at work that had the task of making a personnel door out of aluminum angle and plexi glass.
He was trying to figure out a way to hold the door shut . I got a couple of magnets from an old hard drive and showed them to him.
He liked the idea and used them.
He first tried welding them to the frame but the heat killed them, so after finding two more for him, he attached them with screws.
They hold the door very securely. You can open it by applying your weight if your hands are full, but a breeze will not open it.
They are attached to a piece of metal that you can drill holes in and use to attach them to something else, such as wood frame.

ListerD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 10:20:20 pm »
I thought about using the hard drive magnets, but needed to ensure consistent height so the modular panel tops would all align properly.  Only ended up needing two disc type rare earth magnets per panel, in opposite corners.  I 3d printed discs with the same height for the other corners.  It's enough to keep everything in place, but still allow the panels to pop out pretty easily

uptown47

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 11:33:01 am
  • Just takin' life one game of Frogger at a time...
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 03:58:54 am »
Hi ListerD

I'm just looking at building a modular control panel myself. It's just in the planning stages but one of the issues preventing me getting on with the design is how to stick the panels in place.

I thought about magnets but wasn't sure if they would be powerful enough (or interfere with the electrical signals).

I would be very interested in how you are getting on with your modular controls and some more details on how you did it (a photo or two would be brilliant!!) if you have time to let me know.

Thanks for any help / advice you can give me.

Cheers

John :-)