Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Audiphile Headphone Steal Deal - Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones  (Read 11503 times)

pixel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hello All,

I missed the last Massdrop,  by like a month.    I was lucky to catch this one,  in what might be the last re-run Steal of a deal on one of
Sennheisers flagship level Audiphile headphones.

Usually these babies see for like  $499  retail.    Now at $250.    This still may seem like a lot for many... even for me...  but,  I can tell you that I have had such an amazing experience with Sennheiser products,  that I can not recommend them higher.

Beware,  this deal might vanish in a few hours,  or a day.   Last run sold out Real fast.

My initial experience with Senns,  was ages ago,  when I was like in my 20s.   I bought a HD500  set,  for like $130 total.   Those things lasted over 13 years of daily use and abuses,  indoors,  and out... through the winters,  as Earmuff..  and more.   They were dropped,  fell asleep with on countless times  (which used to kill any previous sets),  cord wrenched out,  slammed to the ground...etc..  all the time.    Most headphone I used before,  did not make it past the 2 month marker.

The best,  was that the cord is easily popped out and replaceable for a few dollars.  Even the ear pads can be replaced.     They are light as a feather,   and so comfy.. that even after like 10 hrs with them on... there are no hot-spots / discomfort.   Often forgetting you have them on.

The sound was so insanely different from the typical big box store sets... in that it is very spatially 3d.   You feel as if you are in the same room with the band.  You can almost pinpoint where each instrument is being played.   There is so little distortion,  that you can finally recognize garbled lyrics that were once unidentifyable... hearing things in music you have listened to countless times...  is like a whole new experience,  as you now hear it closer to the way it actually sounded at that moment...  as well as hearing things in the music your other headphones and speakers were not able to relay to you.. due to the distortions.   

The first time I donned them,  I played a DVD through my PC + Surround sound amp.   I nearly had a heart attack... as my whole room was cranking with sound... while others were sleeping.  I ripped them off,  and dove to turn off my amps speakers.... only to be gobstruck....  they were not on!!!    Thats how clear and 3d they sounded.   Simply amazing.

The next set I would get many years later,  used,  on Craigslist.   The HD590's.    These were 5x  more clear than the HD 500's...  and I could hardly believe it.   Only thing about them,  is they are a little bit bright.   At first,  I was not sure I was into them... but once I put some HD Audio from Youtube,  bluerays / dvds,  and other HD sources... I was amazed.. and fell for them.    The 3d depth is even greater than before.    There are Super Sensitive however... so if you have a bad / low quality recording... you will hear most every single flaw.    Thats the only benefit the 500 had over them,  in that,  what less clear in the high frequencies.. it would smooth out imperfections in poor audio.

Now,  here we have the 650.   Ive never had the pleasure to hear / feel  these...  but the HD600  set have been the favorite HD headphone of their lineup for like 2 Decades.   Supposedly these have a little better balance,  with less harsh mids, and slightly deeper bass.

I can only imagine the different in the sonic experience.

Frequency response: 10 Hz – 41 kHz
THD: < 0.05%
Nominal impedance: 300 ohm
Cable length: 6 ft (1.8 m)

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?mode=guest_open&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=c_audiophile&utm_term=18037&gclid=CKXti-W53tQCFYmCswodRd8D3Q#signup

Note - These are not Bass-Head headphones.   They represent Punchy and Accurate bass,  not Artificial / Distorted / exaggerated bass.   With good source material,  the bass is Low as hell... but,  they are not going to thump like a subwoofer.

Also note - They are Open-Backed.  You will be able to hear others talk,  and they,  depending on your volume levels.. will hear your music.   The open back created far less audio distortions,  which allow a superior 3d soundstage,  as well as better overall audio reproductions.   They also are a higher impedance headphone.  This means,  they will require an amp to get the best possible experience out of them.   The higher impedance gives them more dynamic range.

Ive heard that the clamping force,  is not as comfy as the older models Im used to.  That might be the only real drawback to them,  in my eyes.

There are tons of video and text based reviews on the previous run,  all very favorable and glowingly positive.

Price may reduce a bit,  if sales are high enough.   Though we would get them till December.

Currently they have sold  4215  out of the  7500  limited run.   Act fast... as once word gets out,  it might sell out in a few hours.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:43:39 pm by pixel »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Glad to see you are probably back on your feet, Steve.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
lol.... those crap headphones are "only" 250 bucks.  Dr. Dre conned a whole industry into existence with his beats. 

If you pay more than 50 dollars for a set of headphones you've paid too much.  For most people the 10-20 dollar sets at their local S-mart are good enough. 

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm

Coincedentally enough I just paid $17 for a pair of the 1990s era headband open ear headphones that used to come with Sony portables.  To this day I haven't found a replacement style I like more than those.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
I took a hearing test recently, and I'm clocking in a good 25 years over my actual age.  Your fancy headphones mean nothing to me.

All I care is if they go BOOM THUD BOOM THUD BOOM THUD in a repetitive 4/4 beat that's so loud it rattles my teeth.  I just need enough high end to hear the screeching robots.

And how did we go from showering at the job site at 2am to high end headphones and VR setups?  Weren't we moaning that the 20 year old van was about to explode last month?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
How can you afford 250 dollar headphones when you were just living in your van that was repossessed?

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
If you pay more than 50 dollars for a set of headphones you've paid too much.  For most people the 10-20 dollar sets at their local S-mart are good enough.

Most people also don't give two shits about decent audio, so there's also that.

I will agree though that Beats are massively overpriced for what they are.  Similar to Bose in that respect; pure marketing.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
I am not super current on audio technology. I know that ten or so years ago many studio professionals preferred Sony headphones that were like 60 bucks. I cannot remember the model number.

pixel

• Offline Offline
lol.... those crap headphones are "only" 250 bucks.  Dr. Dre conned a whole industry into existence with his beats. 

Uhh... No.  Hell to Dah Noh.

Beats have like 5$  drivers in them,   and are complete inaccurate rubbish.
They also use a generic form of fake-bass...  thats totally distorted,  untrue to the original audio.    Its overpriced,  marketing Hype,  much like Bose.

When I brought over my HD 500's  to a fellow collector friends house,  he had a listen... and nearly wept.   He had just paid out the nose for a brand new set by Bose..  and my Senns,  priced like 1/5th  the price or less... Mopped the floor with them.

Sennheiser's  HD Audiophile line,  is completely Opposite to the typical mass market cons.   They are a German company,  thats been around forever...  making high fidelity equipment for Professional Entertainers,  and far beyond.    Their flagship headphone is something like $1500...   and I believe they have something that is so expensive, that its not even worth mention.   

Sennheiser does in fact make lower grade audio equipment...  the low-grade stuff however,  is priced as such.  Cheap / Replaceable.  They dont try to pass off 5$ drivers,  in a fragile shell,  for $300.   They do not do mass advertising runs.  Their quality has kept their customers coming back for more.

Furthermore... I do not think Bose nor Beats have replaceable cables.  Which is the first thing that usually breaks on most Headphones.

Most people whom Ive handed my older model Senns to,  were floored instantly.   Just as I too,  was blown away.   We are so used to getting generic garbage... that when something of actual quality and precision comes along... it really hits home.

Lets put it this way... in Joystick terms...  Bose / Beats  are the sticks you might find on a Jacks TV game.    Where as the Senns are the NOS Wico Leaf 8 ways - broken in,  buttery smooth.    Bose / Beats are the TV Golf game trackball  (that barely rolls),   while the Senns are the Happs standard  2.5".  that glides like Ice,  and spins for like 5 seconds or longer,  with a good hard roll.

In this particular model...  Sennheiser actually measures and hand matches pairs of drivers.   Thats the level of precision and quality we are talking about here.   You actually get what you pay for..   actually you get more than what you pay for.   Something you never would have expected in you wildest imagination.

And no.   Nobody is promoting $60  Sonys.  Sony Speakers and Headphones are very poor,  until you get into the headphone sets that are over +$600.    Most headphones that compare to the audio detail, and range that the Senns produce in their mid level HD series,  cant be matched pricewise by the competition.  Which is why they are often said to be the best headphone one can buy, under the $1000 mark.   And even if you got lucky in finding a similar or better driver set... (good luck)   you are not easily going to find one that is actually comfortable, and durable,  in addition to price / sound  comparisons.

But hey... if you dont believe me... and have even mildly decent ears... Have someone local give you a taste of anything from model HD 500 or above.   Most people here would probably be ecstatic with an ancient used pair of HD 500's...  let alone something along these lines.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Been rocking Shure SE535 for the last 10 years I love them and have them with me everywhere I go. I try to justify that its worth it but meh, who really cares.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Eh, going in ignorant and leaving with Bose is far from the worst a buyer could do.  Middle quality for high end price.  Yes, yes, you all know better. Congrats.

:cheers:

pixel

• Offline Offline
 As for my story of finances,  Ive been working.   Part of me trying to get back on my feet,  was to sleep in the van... and to cut down to one mild meal a day,  with a light snack.   At first,  I was only at a max of 32 hrs a week,  and the pay was not good... but it kept me fed.

I got full time more recently,  and a boost in pay,   and eventually was able to get a place... but its still been difficult.   The place is cheap for the city I live in,  but its at a busy intersection... with crazy thumping subwoofers rocking the building at nearly all hours.   Most nights,  I spend a good portion at work,  after hours.    Not sure I can afford what I really need, regardless of how little I spend / eat.

I probably should not be buying much of anything.   But we all need something other than work, in our lives...  and Ive found that the thing that I used the most,  that gives me the most pleasure on a daily basis...  are my HD 590's  headphones.

Even the worst looking games and even movies,  can be transformed with good audio... into a completely different experience.
Some people could be fine,  listening to a Mono AM radio.   I happened to love holographic audio.   Accurate,  clear, music / sounds.  The ability to know where something is located,  how far away it is...  Hearing the strong double bass of the drums - yet not having them distort the cymbals and other sounds / instruments.   Its the next best thing to a $2000 VR systems experience.   And in fact,  most VR experiences, would be 50 times more potent... with better headphones.    An experience similar to my HD 500s...  where,  when an MP3 song that had thunder in it... actually was so realistic ... that I actually turned to look out of the window.   The sounds,  do not sound like they are coming from a directional speaker.   You feel as if the sound comes from all over the room,  in any / every direction possible.

Its like needing glasses... seeing the world as blurry, fuzzy,  not detailed at all...  and then donning the glasses for the first time,  and seeing all of that glorious detail that was withheld from you.  That you were unable to enjoy / experience.   And once you have tasted this... you can no longer easily go back to blur-o-vision.

To my ears... low fi  headphones are now as bad as listening to a Mono-Am radio filled with static.   Or trying to go from a 1080p  HDR monitor... to a green monochrome pc experience.  Its really that much, of a difference.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
We are all glad to hear that things are better.

pixel

• Offline Offline
Been rocking Shure SE535 for the last 10 years I love them and have them with me everywhere I go. I try to justify that its worth it but meh, who really cares.

Those are a lot more expensive,  and do not even come close in the frequency range.  (They dont even list THD distortion)
 But, they certainly would be better for portable travel / use.

The Open Back Senns are more for PC /  Music / Gaming / Movies,  at home,  or in a closed-door office.

Nice that they have detachable cords though.

Its really about what you want to do with them,  and what you are trying to experience.
There are always positives and negatives to weigh.

Eh, going in ignorant and leaving with Bose is far from the worst a buyer could do.  Middle quality for high end price.  Yes, yes, you all know better. Congrats.

Except, I dont consider Bose to be middle quality.    They may have had some initial nice speakers back in the 60 to 70s...  but like most companies,  around the late 70s to early 80s... they all started using inferior quality drivers, wood, cabinetry design,  and crossovers.

After that,  companies used tricks to make speakers sound like they had more bass and power... using things like tuned ports.   That ruining the natural sound,  caused great distortions,  and makes a really over the top woofy woosh... at high volumes.   The drivers used less electricity... but the were also less magnetically strong.  Less strength to be powerful, fast, accurate.

Then Bose came out with more tricks, to extend bass using a coiled tube.... and used tiny tweeters for all the rest.   There is a whole section of frequencies left out of the mix... and worse off... they cant produce any power whatsoever.   Basically,  they sold people $2000   worth of generic 5$ PC speakers.  >_<

I have an ancient reconed pair of EPI 100v 's,  that put pretty much destroy everything Bose has ever made in the last +25 years.   Not that they are the best speakers... but damn... they sounded so good,  it made my refuse to even use my 200 watt each - Techniques 12" 3 ways... despite not being as loud.  The clarity and 3d soundstage is ridiculous  (The inverted tweeters are magical -  similar to Di-Pole Ribbon tweeters ... but a more realistic positional portrayal.. )   Though,  you are not going to find a speaker set under $50,000  that can match the abilities of the Senn Headphones.    The physics drivers.. at such a scale,  is nearly impossible to beat.

Anyways... Boss just kept getting worse and worse over the years.   Not even worth of mention... if not only to chuckle and feel sorry for the people whom were hyped-tricked into it.

I,  like most,   could have easily been fooled down the same path.   I just got really lucky... taking a gamble.

Once you are aware of what you were missing... its easy to see and understand.   But if you have never experienced something of that magnitude.. then its nearly incomprehensible... as to be easily written off.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
So are you still a kung fu master too. You should be able to make decent coin with the boasts I have seen you make online.

pixel

• Offline Offline
We are all glad to hear that things are better.

Thanks PBJ    :)    :cheers:

Its been a real rough road the last 10 yrs, but this last 2, nearly ended me.   Things will probably continue to get worse in time,  but for now,  as least I have a little bit of sanity and ability.   Ill keep trying to keep the wheels spinning.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow

Those are a lot more expensive,  and do not even come close in the frequency range.  (They dont even list THD distortion)

The Open Back Senns are more for PC /  Music / Gaming / Movies,  at home,  or in a closed-door office.

Its really about what you want to do with them,  and what you are trying to experience.

Thanks for sharing that, I never really looked into the stats. I just heard a pair was sold. When I am due for new ones I will check out the Sennheiser's.

Quick question, are you using a certain MP3 player, amp, sound card? My cell phone works fine but I wish I could get the same quality as my sounds card on the PC.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
If someone can't hear the difference, then no matter what you do, you aren't going to sell them on something "high fidelity".  It's that simple, no sense in trying to convince them different. 

I can't fault X2 for enjoying a decent set of headphones.  If I were in his situation, the few luxuries I had that I could truly enjoy would be even more valuable to me than if I had the kind of resources to buy the highest quality.  No matter the cost, everyone should be able to have at least one thing they truly enjoy in life, otherwise what's the point?  If he had excess of luxuries at the expense of his health and living conditions, it would be something entirely different.

IMHO, When it comes to things that matter to you, money is secondary to quality.  The only role it really plays is in how much you are willing or able to part with to get what you want.  Some people here would probably get offended at how much I am spending on my new home theater, and yet I wouldn't drop $100 on a pinball machine, let alone thousands, nor would I drop more than a couple hundred on a good set of wired headphones despite my love for music.  It's all relative.

FWIW, last year about this time, I was looking for a pair of over the ear closed back corded headphones under $500.  After exhaustive research the one that came to the top of the list in the most reviews was the Sony MDR7506 studio headphones.  $79.99 on Amazon.  They sound pretty damn good to me.

Speaking of Sennheiser though, I just tried out several models of cordless headphones for watching TV.  Again I was not shopping in the megabucks range, sticking to sub $1000 for two pairs with a transmitter.  I bought three different kinds and returned the ones I didn't like after using them for a few days.  The ones I stuck with are the Sennheiser RS185.  I am quite happy with them and with two pairs and the transmitter/charger they are under $400.  Now me and the girlfriend can watch TV at whatever volume each of us wants and not disturb the neighbors or our kids who still live with us.  Worth every penny.

And one more thing:  $500 is pretty much "mid range" for a price on headphones.  For true aficionado's, good sound doesn't even start until you hit the $1000 plus market, and finding a $5k+ headphone set is not unusual.  Comparing Bose or Beats to "high end" in either quality or price is like comparing a Seiko to a Rolex.  Of course, once you get past the basic nature of any product, the difference becomes "flavor".  You can get a pair of headphones for under $100 that will play perfectly accurate from 20hz to 20,000hz with almost no distortion and reproduce the recording exactly.  That $5,000 pair of headphones is going to be less accurate, but in a pleasing way. 

dkersten

• Offline Offline
Except, I dont consider Bose to be middle quality.    They may have had some initial nice speakers back in the 60 to 70s...  but like most companies,  around the late 70s to early 80s... they all started using inferior quality drivers, wood, cabinetry design,  and crossovers.
I wouldn't agree completely with this statement.  In the 90's, we made fun of Bose "No highs, no lows, must be Bose", but frankly they don't make a horrible product.  They definitely charge too much, but then so does Apple, and people can't get enough of that junk because no matter how low of an opinion I have of Apple, they too make some decent stuff and tend to excel in the things that mainstream consumers want most.  I would put a pair of $300 Bose headphones up against any $100 pair of headphones on the market, and you can get some damn fine sounding headphones for that kind of price. 

pixel

• Offline Offline
So are you still a kung fu master too. You should be able to make decent coin with the boasts I have seen you make online.

Heh.  My skills have dulled a little.  Nothing that could not be re-sharpened...  but as for making money with it...  Thats not such an easy feat.

Most are not willing to put in the hard efforts to gain a level of workable skill.    A lot are more interested in an Intellectual level... but,  they dont want to pay much for it.

A lot of the fighters are brainwashed to thinking they know all there is to know,  due to the mass media psychological tactics.

I never got to finish the full art I started to study either...  3 different teachers... and all moved away.   I could have walked right though all of them without much issue...  but,  thats due to their lack of mastery and training outside of their single art.   But to teach,  with a large mass of students,  Id need at least,  to complete the full art... despite what I know in total,  from many arts,  nor the abilities mastered,  or the secrets I managed to uncover / rediscover.

What I could teach,  is fairly simple material.  I could show most all of it in a few days.   But showing,  seeing,  doing... and being competent... are very different things.   I think it took me a full year to master the handstrikes fully... and thats just a blip on the map.

Who knows though... maybe I will put a book / video set together before everything completely goes to hell.

Its just hard to find any time left,  when most of my remaining time is cooking and cleaning up after my cooking.  Its a lot of work, to do everything on your own... especially when you cant eat  Wheat, Eggs, Dairy, and Soy...  and often,  just dont even have the energy to even do the normal things in life.

I really do not want sympathy... Im just finding it really difficult to deal with all of this.    All I can say,  is to be as healthy as you can be,  and enjoy life to its fullest,  as much as you possibly can,  while you are still able.

And Mike,  to be clear... what I say about what Ive Experienced / done,  is not to be boastful.   I speak certain higher truths,  for the sake of it being out there.   That there IS in fact, more potential possible, than most people realize.   Thats my experience,  via having an open mind,  and putting in Obsessive and Masochistic levels of hard work and sacrifice, to achieve goals,  and explore the unknown.

I can easily tell you,  that Ive met practitioners that can and have,  mopped the floor with me.   But you must also realize,  that these same people,  are on a level that most thinks is only possible on the set of a scripted movie setup.   In all of my years in the arts,  Ive only ever touched hands with like 2 masterclass level fighters,  in the high level arts.   And I was extremely lucky to even more one... let alone two.  You could spend your entire lifetime searching for them... never to find one,  as its such a rarity today.

Finally,  your attitude is extremely toxic.   Not just to other,  but to yourself.   Way too judgemental,  critical,  harsh,  sarcastic..etc.
You are missing what matters most...   and you will continue to cause your own self suffering every day,  until you choose to find a different path.   I know this all too well,  for it was also true of my own deep dark past.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
I don't believe a word of any of it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

pixel

• Offline Offline

Thanks for sharing that, I never really looked into the stats. I just heard a pair was sold. When I am due for new ones I will check out the Sennheiser's.

Quick question, are you using a certain MP3 player, amp, sound card? My cell phone works fine but I wish I could get the same quality as my sounds card on the PC.

Honestly,  most of my listening / use is on the PC.  Watching youtube vids,  movies,  and listening to music.

I used to have a decent 16gb $100 Sony MP3 player that had a custom EQ, that was pretty damn good. (lost it)    The HD 500' s   do not have as high of an ohm rating as something like the 650s.     The certainly were not as loud,  compared to weaker / inferior drivers...  and while they still sounded great... they could not fully hit their super dynamic sweet-spot, without a little more amplification.     As such,  I did pick up a mini battery powered amp from radio shack... and man,  that was a huge difference... when using on that same mp3 player.

On my PC,  I used a Soundblaster Audigy.   The sound quality was sooooo much better than typical on-board garbage... and or generics.  Even with my work PC.. Im saddened with its inaccurate audio nature.  Ima have to slide a better card into the beast...   =)

My phone,  a Galaxy Note 2...  I cant tell you how disappointed I am in the Audio Quality.   I thought Id be using it like an MP3 player... but its just not up to par.

As for my PC audio... Im also typically running it through a stereo amp.   Currently, its my old Pioneer surround sound amp I purchased when I was like 17... way back in like 1990.   Thing is solid as a rock!  =)   Cant believe its held up all these years.    Analog sound,  not digital.

pixel

• Offline Offline

Of course not.   And that is precisely why you will never find such things.   You choose to limit your expressions and your life.
You place yourself in a little box,  and that is what you experience as a result.

You are in fact,  what you believe.   Most of the life we live in,  and experience...  is In out own minds, hearts, and souls.    Meaning, we are mostly living in our imaginations.   Preconceptions.  Assumptions.

Most of us are unwilling to drop the box,  and actually search beyond it.
Which is why most will always be Lemmings,  following the other Lemmings.   And the results will almost always be,  exactly the same.

Seek and Yee Shall Find...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
 :laugh2:
Everything this guy says is a lie. He talked all kinds of garbage on mma forums. When he was challenged, he claimed that he couldn't tone down his art in the ring. He was afraid he would kill or maim someone.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
I'm glad you are in a better situation man, but I can see that your hard times haven't fixed that b.s. problem of yours any.  I mean if you want to waste your spare money on headphones that you are paying too much for have at it.  It would probably make better financial sense to just get a nice Sony set for around 50 or so but whatever. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
My god, my mind boggles at the sheer amount of "internet tough guy" that must abound on an MMA forum.

:dizzy:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
My god, my mind boggles at the sheer amount of "internet tough guy" that must abound on an MMA forum.

:dizzy:

My favorite Internet tough guy line happened in alt.fan.macross. One dude said to the other, and I quote, "I will pound you into the very depths of Hell with my fists!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Save your money and buy a plane ticket to ZapCon next year, Steve. Pass to the show is on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Something I've never understood is how people typically drool over fancy, high-resolution screens, but poo-poo the idea of spending over $50 on a pair of speakers.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
I did a simple Google search of xiaou2 and that is what I came up with. I just had a feeling this guy was full of it. Turns out I was right.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Something I've never understood is how people typically drool over fancy, high-resolution screens, but poo-poo the idea of spending over $50 on a pair of speakers.

I feel the same way with people who spend $400 on LED arcade buttons but want to spend $10 on a cheap ass arcade encoder.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.

Of course not.   And that is precisely why you will never find such things.   You choose to limit your expressions and your life.
You place yourself in a little box,  and that is what you experience as a result.

You are in fact,  what you believe.   Most of the life we live in,  and experience...  is In out own minds, hearts, and souls.    Meaning, we are mostly living in our imaginations.   Preconceptions.  Assumptions.

Most of us are unwilling to drop the box,  and actually search beyond it.
Which is why most will always be Lemmings,  following the other Lemmings.   And the results will almost always be,  exactly the same.

Seek and Yee Shall Find...

No, Mike A is trying to be the definative BYOAC troll.  It does not matter how you try to engage him in civil conversation, he will find a way to sound like an educated ---tallywhacker---. He is an amature, or immature, take your pick.

One would think that headphones would not seem a priority, with all you said about your apartment, a decent set of headphones is a must need.  Glad things are looking up, just remember to put some money aside when life kicks you below the belt.  ;)
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
Whatever Ark. Which Ark are you today? I can't keep track of your fake personas.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

Eh, on my 'fancy' screens, the ones with front facing speakers frankly sound 'good enough.'  Particularly for normal TV watching where I don't necessary want to shake my rafters.

Sound was pretty lousy on my 4K, so I did spend a little on a sound bar with wireless subwoofer.  Nothing too fancy, but it did kick up that $300 black friday special into a whole new level.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
The quality of the sources I listen to no longer warrants expensive gear.<$10 Panasonics or $20 Sennheisers are pretty good.

I've been tempted by the $100 Sennheiser earbuds when they turn up for $50 on blowout sites, but so far it's just been the iphone version which has a huge inline remote which doesn't work with any other devices.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
I have these Panasonics, and they sound amazing for $10....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ELYQJI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to like those Skullcandy Ink'd ones when they were $5, but the Panasonics sound better.

Here's the sound bar...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-2-1-channel-soundbar-system-with-wireless-subwoofer-black/4899104.p?skuId=4899104

Thumps Vanilla Ice very well on my DDR setup. :cheers:

dkersten

• Offline Offline
So true, but for some it is all about how it looks, and any other senses simply don't matter. 

I enjoy music, but movies are more important to me.  The visual is far less important in a movie than the sound.  When I moved into this temporary apartment, I picked up a fairly nice 65" 4k TV to tide me over until the new house is done.  But without a killer sound system behind it, it is just boring to watch movies.  My last theater was only 1080 with no HDR or WCG, and contrast and brightness compared to even a midrange flatscreen TV is only average, but it was 100 times better to watch a movie in, simply because of the sound system.  With no theater at home right now, I go out for movies again, but only if it is playing on the IMax.  The regular theaters are just a big screen with crappy sound, and I would rather watch those movies from my own couch because a big screen alone doesn't add anything.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King

Eh, on my 'fancy' screens, the ones with front facing speakers frankly sound 'good enough.'  Particularly for normal TV watching where I don't necessary want to shake my rafters.

So much ^This^

It isn't that people don't care about speakers, but rather they aren't colossal ---uvulas--- that want to disturb their neighbors with thumping sub-woofers, ect.   I'm not sure what that has to do with headphones though.  Quite frankly most people, myself included, see headphones as something you sometimes have to wear to be considerate of others, not something you want to wear for any extended period of time. 

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
This thread has been interesting. I don't think I would ever be in the market for Really high end audio but I do appreciate the difference between a good and a poor experience.

I spent years using a cheap set of Maxell headphones. They had a lifetime warranty, so they would break and I would send them in for a new pair. I think I paid $10 for them at a clearance store and replaced them three times. LOL But they worked fine.
A few years ago I got a nice steelseries gaming headset and was amazed at the experience. For me the headphones are all about the complete package, sound clarity, base, comfort, durability and to an extent Price.
The steelseries were I think $89 and I love them, good sound, the right amount of base, comfortable to wear for long periods. Mic works well enough when I need it. durable, Can't praise them enough.

Recently I picked up a Razer Man-o-war wireless headset. retail is $200. Again it is all about the experience. They sound aboutas good but have different strengths. But being free from wires was a gamechanger.  I tried a few Bluetooth headsets and I could here mild static or they would randomly disconnect and I wasn't liking that solution but the Razer has its own dongle for a dedicated connection and it has been flawless. I can get up move about turn my head and not have to unplug or watch out for the cable.  I freely admit that the cord is a mild issue but I appreciate the convenience. They are also comfortable. I still use the steelseries in some situations but I am pleased with the wireless. Pretty much whole house flexibility too. I can watch a movie and not bother anyone else in the house sitting on the couch not anywhere near the source device.

The bottom line for me is that I want the sum of features to give me a good experience and I will gladly trade the highest of high quality for it especially if the price/performance ratio isn't there on the high end stuff.

I don't think my tired old ears can tell the difference anyway. But $250 would be reasonable for amazing headphones.

-Edit-
When I got serious about exercising I searched for the right ear buds for a while trying many different brands and settled on a pair by Sony that sound good and really clip/sit around my ear so they won't fall out not to mention are comfortable to wear for a long time.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:37:59 pm by knave »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
Quite frankly most people, myself included, see headphones as something you sometimes have to wear to be considerate of others, not something you want to wear for any extended period of time.

For me, it's more about portability and blocking outside noise.
I wear in-ear-canal ones while mowing or listening to weird new-age ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- to relax.

Then I have a set of foam covered Sennheisers for listening to audiobooks/podcasts while walking on paths where I still want to hear what's going on around me.

I have a set of Bluetooth on-ear headphones I got for cheap years ago.  I might use them once or twice a year.
Corded ones never need charged=one less thing to deal with.