Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: J-PAC mounting screws?  (Read 1391 times)

gedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 01:25:30 pm
  • My first cab is almost done. Loving the challenge.
J-PAC mounting screws?
« on: June 23, 2017, 01:14:02 pm »
Has anyone mounted a J-PAC inside their cabinet?  The mounting holes in the J-PAC are tiny.

Here's the story...  I am installing a J-PAC and a brand new Jamma loom/harness in my cabinet. The J-PAC has a few mounting holes, like you'd find on a motherboard.  I want to use those holes to mount the J-PAC on the side of the cabinet, rather than letting it dangle by the wires of the Jamma harness.  However, the holes on the J-PAC are really small.  Even standard motherboard stand-off screws won't fit.

Ideas?

gedman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 01:25:30 pm
  • My first cab is almost done. Loving the challenge.
Re: J-PAC mounting screws?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 02:54:32 pm »
I was able to make it work.  I found some really thin screws that fit through the holes.  I took some very narrow rubber tubing and cut my own stand-off spacers so the solder side of the J-PAC doesn't contact the wood directly.  Then I attached the J-PAC to a piece of wood, which I'll later mount in the cabinet.

I briefly considered drilling the holes bigger on the J-PAC to be the same size as motherboard stand-off screws.  Then I came to my senses. Not worth the risk.

Gedman

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:23:57 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 05:07:47 pm »
Good call on not drilling them out. If I cant find any risers I just cut up an old pen.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 06:52:19 pm »
The holes are pretty tight, but if you use standard PCB standoffs (the L-shaped ones), you just screw the screws into the holes. No need to drill.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 12:30:32 am »
The holes are pretty tight, but if you use standard PCB standoffs (the L-shaped ones), you just screw the screws into the holes. No need to drill.

Forcing the pcb standoff screws works. You can also use a small round file. I've done both methods on two separate jpac units.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 11:07:48 am »
Go to Fastenal... order 4 small M2 or M2.5 machine screws, 8 washers and 4 nuts... As a former employee, I can tell you how much they LOVE when they get these orders - but thats their job, I never feel bad anymore  :laugh2: