Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Using an ipac controller to drive a popashot bball game motor  (Read 2497 times)

HitTheShowers99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 08, 2020, 08:53:05 pm
  • Just a small town girl living in a lonely world
Howdy all, looking for direction on how to use an ipac to control a motor that drives a bball net. The game itself has no original parts, it's a shell that I put an ipac in running "free hoops" software found in this forum. I'm thinking I could just splice a switch into the harness and add a plug but there wouldnt be any on/off timer function. Hope this makes sense. Any help much appreciated.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:04:12 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Using an ipac controller to drive a popashot bball game motor
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 02:27:02 pm »
Howdy all, looking for direction on how to use an ipac to control a motor that drives a bball net.
The IPac is an encoder that translates button presses into keystrokes/gamepad button presses/mouse clicks, so it can't directly control the motor, but you're on the right track with tapping into the existing wiring.   ;D

I'm thinking I could just splice a switch into the harness and add a plug but there wouldnt be any on/off timer function.
Based on your posts on this subject, you may want to try an approach like this:

1. At the IPac Start switch input, add a second wire leading to an input on an Arduino.
- When you press the Start switch, ground will be applied to both the IPac and Arduino inputs which will trigger both of them.
- Arduino Pro Micros are inexpensive and should work well for this application.

Start switch _______________ IPac input
                                             |
                                             |_ Arduino input

2. You'll need to write an Arduino "sketch" (program code) that does the following:
- Initialize and start the program loop.
- Read the input.
- When the input is triggered, start a countdown timer.
- When the timer reaches a certain value, command the motor driver or relay(s) to move the motor as desired.
-- The exact commands to use depend on the type of motor and the desired behavior.
-- You may need to use limit switches to keep the motor from going too far in either direction.
-- Try to time things so the motor returns to the starting position just before the timer runs out.
- When the timer runs out, kill power to the motor driver/relay(s), re-initialize, and start the program loop again.

3. You'll need some type of motor driver board or relay(s).
- Not sure if that is an AC, DC, or stepper motor.
- The motor will draw more current than USB can provide, so you'll need a power supply for it.
-- If the motor runs on 5VDC or 12VDC, you can get that from the computer's Molex connectors.
---------------
First step is to identify what type of motor it is (AC, DC, or stepper) and what voltage it runs on.

That will lead you to how to control it.
- 1 relay for AC.
- 2 relays for DC. (may need limit switches)
- Motor driver board for stepper. (may need limit switches)

That info combined with the desired timing and actions leads to the Arduino program code.
-------------
Automated Projects is a good sub-forum to check for info on motors.

Raspberry Pi & Dev Board is a good sub-forum to check for info on Arduino code.

Scott

HitTheShowers99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 08, 2020, 08:53:05 pm
  • Just a small town girl living in a lonely world
Re: Using an ipac controller to drive a popashot bball game motor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 05:46:42 pm »
Thank you, very much appreciated. Ordered the Arduino and will try it out. I think the motor was 115/12v 6 rpm.