Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: best cad software to focus time learning?  (Read 1827 times)

aldub516

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 03:32:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
best cad software to focus time learning?
« on: June 23, 2017, 01:32:06 am »
Over the past few years ive used sketchup for various projects and its a great program. I start every so often with tutorials and learn a lot and then fall off.. So ive recently found myself with free times in the evening that i want to dedicate towards sharpening various software skills. 3d modeling/cad is one of those skills.  Sketchhup is a super easy to get into program and seems fairly powerful. Mainly at the time im mostly wanting to design wood/fabrication projects. And perhaps one day dive into cnc cutting. how glorious it would be to send over files of a custom cab and have someone crank it out. Anyways, for someone thats rather new but well rounded, easy to grasp software and new things, with an interest in 3d modeling geared towards woodworking, with a future interest in 3d printing, what should i really focus my time into? sketchup in a way almost reminds me of the "toy" version of cad software for creative hipsters to make cool furniture.. not really but you know. Is sketchup a good platform to learn fundamentals that i can roll into more advanced software? etc. you get the gist. thanks for any input. Ive seen some people do ridiculous awesome work with sketchup/cad software.

burn_654

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
Re: best cad software to focus time learning?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 07:55:22 am »
Since you mention cnc and 3d printing it may be worth learning some Autodesk Fusion 360. I'm migrating to it from 123D Design (which I can recommend for more 'artistic' building - for engineered building with precise angle relations/measurements I think Fusion is a bit better, plus 123D is being discontinued sadly.) Very good at object relations and hiding parts/sketches and joining things while still keeping them movable/separate.

It kind of feels like the 'photoshop' approach to me - kind of daunting at first coming from simpler tools but refreshing how much power is available. I had to watch a fair number of turorial videos to 'get' it. You can do a free trial for a month and them do an 'enthusiast' year trial after that.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:52:28 pm »
If your interested in Fusion 360, Udemy offers some pretty good online courses to get started. I have two of the modules, but have not had time to go through them (my bro has some advanced Excel courses and he really enjoys them). They offer discounted courses all the time, they have their $19 student special on right now https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?q=fusion%20360&src=ukw

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 04:53:55 pm »
im gonna start playing with fusion360. As i said i have no direction or real preference.. just figured if im going to start putting hours into tutorials, matters well do it with the best program for my needs.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 05:06:15 pm »
I just recently installed Fusion 360 also, seems like a good starting point and can be very powerful once mastered.

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 05:11:02 pm »
i despise my internet service since i moved to southern oregon.. my town is actually on dsl... waiting to download fusion trial. But watching some tutorials (in 260p) this program seems super sweet.. i look forward to toying with it

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 06:22:18 pm »
i despise my internet service since i moved to southern oregon.. my town is actually on dsl... waiting to download fusion trial. But watching some tutorials (in 260p) this program seems super sweet.. i look forward to toying with it

Ouch man.

aldub516

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 05:01:12 pm »
Coming from Long Island New York where my internet was head spinningly fast. To the dsl internet of wolf creek Oregon... upload speeds are.. negative probably. Lord forbid I text a pic to someone over my wifi.