Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Intellivision (cubed)  (Read 4229 times)

popsicle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2023, 11:07:15 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,104229.msg1102713.html#msg1102713
Intellivision (cubed)
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:37:52 pm »
For years I've been wanting to build some sort of homage to the Intellivision, and I've finally gotten around to making it happen. The Flashback unit that was released a couple of years ago came with quality controllers that properly emulate the 16 direction disc and the full keypad for each controller, but the emulation that the Flashback used was spotty (especially with sound) and limited to the games contained on the chip. ByteKnight over at AtariAge forums offers an Ultimate Flashback upgrade with a Raspberry Pi and hmdi that many have praised, but I wanted to do this myself with a proper pc and contained monitor.

Aside from the Ultimate PC Interface ($60) and miscellaneous paint/screws/angle iron, the rest was made from left over wood, plexi, an old XP computer and LCD monitor. Most notably, The black laminated particle board pieces that I mounted the monitor and motherboard to were from an old cd tower or something and were already cut to a workable length. Since I had four of these identical boards, I used them as the width dimensions for the build.

Wood stain on the top, brown paint to match the controllers on the sides and front, and acrylic gold paint for the angle iron.

It runs the very stable and accurate JzIntv emulator, and all functions (start, exit, pause, scroll) are mapped to the player one controller. The Ultimate PC Interface was a bit tricky to get working at first, but I'm very happy with the result.

There are quite a few excellent homebrew games for the Intellivision. I've enjoyed discovering these labors of love along with some old classics that I was unfamiliar with as a kid. My kids love playing Snafu, Utopia, Body Slam Super Pro Wrestling, and Shark! Shark!

I've ordered a gold plated plaque with the logo for the front drawer face, which has a magnetic double=push latch. Overlays and instruction manuals can be kept here with the controllers when it is not being used.

The front end is a custom Mala background with a screenshot and the overlay image appearing in the controller graphic.

Still need to put a proper back on it.

popsicle

• Offline Offline
Re: Intellivision (cubed)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:40:07 pm »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:39:23 pm »
Nice to see the Intellivision represented. I love the retro design.  It is a neat homage to playing a console in front of a TV.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:30:27 pm »
Nice to see the Intellivision represented. I love the retro design.  It is a neat homage to playing a console in front of a TV.
I agree.  Well done and it does look like a mini version of the old cabinet TVs.

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 10:18:15 am »
I agree.  Well done and it does look like a mini version of the old cabinet TVs.

DeL

Yeah just need some stained drawer cabinet effect and a RCA logo.

Nice idea.  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 11:05:18 am »
That's awesome. I'm probably biased since Intellivision kicked Atari's ass, but you did a great job!   :cheers:

popsicle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:08:39 pm »
A few minor updates:

-Added the logo plate for the front panel
-Changed the fan cover to be black to better match the design
-Replaced the top gold rail to one without screws to keep it smooth and shiny

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 04:23:36 pm »
I love this  :cheers:

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:37:29 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 12:38:58 am »

fantastic (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981