Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atari Box  (Read 14178 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Atari Box
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:54:12 am »
So what do you guys reckon to the announcement of Atari bringing out a console?

Ime assuming its going to be a new console as opposed to a retro re release.

Ime rather excited at the possibility, more competition, more games, more ideas!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Atari Box
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:37:31 am »
Atari had total revenue of less than 9 million dollars in 2015. Their competitors are Microsoft, revenue 86 billion dollars, Sony,68 billion dollars, Nintendo, 4.5 billion dollars.

Atari does not have the money or the resources to produce a modern console. All they have is a nostalgic name they can slap on things. This announcement is either a gimmick, or they are partnering with a company that has actual financial horsepower.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:53 am »
Whatever it is, i will probably buy it and throw it on my shelf. Probably nothing more than a retro console that plays original carts. Which wouldn't be too bad, and if it's good enough I can use that instead of hooking up my 2600. Even better if it plays 5200 games, because that monster is a pain to setup.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:15:00 am »

Who says they need to compete with the major players?  All they have to do is make a profit.

dgrams2000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 06:00:04 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:53:33 am »
Atari.
Just saying the name gets me excited.   :applaud:

I will admit, with the technology that exists today (emulators, usb wired atari style sticks, etc... etc...)
I can honestly say that if it is another retro-player like the nintendo and recently announced super nintendo systems, I think it is all a waste of time.  It would be a cash grab for Atari. (Not necessarily a bad thing for them but...) Lots of games use the sticks, the paddle controllers, the racing paddle controller, the number pad, etc...  It is not like the Nintendo retro box - where you use one controller to play everything.  Not going to shell out for something I have gobs of already.

If it is a new console to play current games, focus on VR, or some other revolutionary new play style... I will buy it in a heartbeat - whether or not it has a long or short life span.
I know that is kind of a bold statement to make - but anything new that comes out in the gaming world to compete with what we have, gets my attention.
I hope it is something new.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:52:10 am »
  Not going to shell out for something I have gobs of already.

That's exactly why I didn't buy an NES Classic. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:11:04 pm »
I suspect it will be a collaboration effort with another company and using the Atari name, A bit like most other stuff bearing their name recently :p

Either way I am pretty excited but I will be very disappointed if its just another emu box!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 01:15:45 pm »
Prepare to be disappointed then.  It's going to be another emu box I can almost guarantee you.  Either that, or they'll go the C64 route and slap a pc in an Atari case and charge way too much for it just for the Atari logo and a few Atari roms on the hard disk. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:53:27 pm »
They say it uses PC type hardware so probably not an emulator box since you can emulate most of their past systems on a cheap ARM SOC.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 02:53:33 pm »
So this is different from all those Flashback consoles how?

I would love to see the new hardware used to update and re-imagine some of the classic games from the original console. There are some games that deserve modern reimagining.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 04:02:49 pm »
They say it uses PC type hardware so probably not an emulator box since you can emulate most of their past systems on a cheap ARM SOC.

This was basicly my thinking.
Its not hard to emulate an old Atari, Also why would they have the big hush hush for it.
Its pretty much expected of most companies atm!
Sega, C64 and Nintendo have all done it, prob others to.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 05:15:07 pm »
People who didn't buy an NES Classic are missing out.  It's a retro console done right

:cheers:

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 06:07:46 pm »
People who didn't buy an NES Classic are missing out.  It's a retro console done right

I almost did but i have a nes and an everdrive.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 06:30:12 pm »

After you hacked it... :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 07:21:54 pm »
Oh, I'm sorry, was the hack not implied? 

:dizzy:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 07:55:54 pm »
Even without the hack you are getting 30 of the best  NES games plus a nifty piece of hardware for a mere 60 bucks.  That's the cheapest way to get that many games except for piracy.  Yes you can't even get the physical carts that cheap. 

Compare that to the Sega plug-n-plays where you get 80 games, 10 of which aren't crap or the Atari plug-n-play where all the best games (aka Activision) are conspicuously absent.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 09:56:36 am »
Even without the hack you are getting 30 of the best  NES games plus a nifty piece of hardware for a mere 60 bucks.  That's the cheapest way to get that many games except for piracy.  Yes you can't even get the physical carts that cheap. 

That's true but it's not my situation.  I have a mostly reliable toploader and 300 games from when I was a console collector. 

That said the market is off the charts now and for someone without a collection in hand the Mini is a great deal.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 02:03:38 pm »

I almost did but i have a nes and an everdrive.

I bought it for the hdmi out.  Even for those of us that still have a tube tv lying around, they aren't going to last forever.  Systems that use RF are already cumbersome to hook up and composite out consoles will be the next to fall as lcd tvs march forward.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 04:55:59 pm »

That's still a long way off.  Every TV in my house has RF in. Even the plasmas.  And both of our home theater receivers have several composite inputs as well.  Yes, we buy with a backwards compatibility requirement, but it will be a long time before composite is totally gone.  Lots of new streaming devices still have composite out for that reason.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 07:10:30 pm »

That's still a long way off.  Every TV in my house has RF in. Even the plasmas.  And both of our home theater receivers have several composite inputs as well.  Yes, we buy with a backwards compatibility requirement, but it will be a long time before composite is totally gone.  Lots of new streaming devices still have composite out for that reason.

You sure thats not coax? (Cable hookup)

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 08:06:20 pm »
Even without the hack you are getting 30 of the best  NES games plus a nifty piece of hardware for a mere 60 bucks.

Nintendo seriously under priced these relative to demand.  Currently going for $200+ on eBay...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:38:51 pm by shponglefan »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 08:32:09 pm »
I would buy it if it's reasonably priced and interested.

I just back to the US and finally got my OSSC. It solves the compatibility issue for any thing that has RGB, VGA, or component out. It is simply spectacular.

I wonder if you could use an Arduino like devise to add a black line to ever other line? Like a upscaler/scan line generator. I would imagine most TV's will support 480P (240p original image + 240p blank line) RCA for the foreseeable future.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:48:49 pm by Locke141 »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 11:15:58 pm »

True, that's what I meant, but wasn't accurate enough.  But you can connect RF to coax in.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 11:29:46 pm »

True, that's what I meant, but wasn't accurate enough.  But you can connect RF to coax in.
Yeah you can. And every atari 2600 owner should own this adapter. Rf in the back, coax to tv.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 11:59:32 pm »
Yeah you can. And every atari 2600 owner should own this adapter. Rf in the back, coax to tv.

[/quote]

Or this RGB/Svideo/Audio brake out]http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/]RGB/Svideo/Audio brake out. The OSSC is work so well from me so far I'm thinking about going RGB on a few of my old system.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 12:04:58 am »
I would buy it if it's reasonably priced and interested.

I just back to the US and finally got my OSSC. It solves the compatibility issue for any thing that has RGB, VGA, or component out. It is simply spectacular.

I wonder if you could use an Arduino like devise to add a black line to ever other line? Like a upscaler/scan line generator. I would imagine most TV's will support 480P (240p original image + 240p blank line) RCA for the foreseeable future.

You inadvertently brought up what I was talking about.  You'll all note that I said it was cumbersome, not impossible.  The reason is 240p.  Old tvs support 240p, but newer ones don't.  They treat it as 480i and interlace two frames together or do all kinds of crazy stuff.  I can hook up an Atari vcs or a nes to my lcd tv right now.... they technically work, but they look like garbage due to the interlacing and de-interlacing.  Now with newer consoles that have rgb out it's possible to pump them through a converter box that helps with the issue, but anything that uses composite is difficult to convert and rf is damn near impossible.  Got one of those adapters btw... I'm hoping everyone does. 

To respond to your question (sorry) I'm note sure if the Arduino is fast enough to double lines, but I'm still relatively new to avr programming, so I could be wrong.   

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 09:23:40 am »

To be fair they look like crap mostly because now those little blocks are 4" wide.  It's like playing Atari with Duplos.  It's just not meant to be on a 50" screen.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 09:38:43 am »
That's why I've been stocking up on good crts from goodwill. I plan on building a large entertainment center for all my consoles (I'm up to 15) I want a crt on the left and an Led next to it. So i can hook up all the older ones to the vet and the new ones to the led.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 10:14:06 am »
I'm excited to see what Atari is planning! It will probably just be some sort of emulation box but it's interesting...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 12:37:38 pm »

To be fair they look like crap mostly because now those little blocks are 4" wide.  It's like playing Atari with Duplos.  It's just not meant to be on a 50" screen.

No, they look like crap because of what I just said... pay attention.  If you don't believe me fire up a game of pinball on the nes.... straight frikkin lines aren't even rendered properly due to treating a 240p image like a 480i one.  It's even worse on the Atari because everything is a straight line.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 05:42:48 am »
And the saga continues......

Atari VCS Rebooted:
Game. Stream. Connect. Like Never Before.
We've been busy these last few months further refining the home gaming and entertainment system we have always wanted.

Welcome to Atari VCS.

Check out some of the great press coverage, including new images of the VCS, plus its Classic Joystick and Modern Controller.
"Atari revealed the system's new name alongside the start of this year's Game Developers Conference, where the company will show off the Atari VCS along with prototypes of its classic-style joystick and more modern controller.
- Gamespot

"The first controller is a joystick reminiscent of the Atari 2600's, while the second resembles a modern Xbox controller, complete with asymmetrical analog sticks and ABXY buttons."
- IGN

"...the device will not only play classic Atari titles,
but it will also play modern PC games."
- The Verge
Just like the original VCS, we’ve packed this system with all the power needed to bring a new kind of home computer experience right to your living room - while staying true to the classic entertainment heritage that Atari was built on.

We will be announcing our exclusive pre-order date for the Atari VCS during the month of April 2018. Just stay on the list - you're already signed up for the latest announcements about Atari VCS. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Game on.
- The Atari VCS Team

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2020, 09:47:50 am »
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!
(And then get the ---fudgesicle--- back in it!)

Just saw this and it made me LOL hard so had to share....

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2020, 10:19:30 am »
If I understand correctly, this thing is a rhyzen powered chromebox running an emulator for atari games and an app to stream games from some service and you need to install an OS to do anything else with it?

i'm seeing a just under $400 price tag.
If the hardware is worth that then sure, would make a nice steambox after you install windows on it.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2020, 10:36:48 am »
Well I stopped following any news on it ages ago the above just popped up on my twitter feed (No i dont really use it, just read up on devs :) )

But anyways last I read they had done a 2nd kick starter coz ya know the first one apparently didnt make enough mullah and they still had not released any actual details other than it will emulate the atari catalogue and it will be amazing.

So yeah......

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2020, 01:41:21 pm »
Pat and Ian give regular updates on their podcast.  The only "console" that's been more of a disaster is the new intellivision.   I'll make it easy for you guys.... when purchasing a console check to see if it has Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft written on it... if not RUN. 

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:18:00 pm
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2020, 02:50:14 pm »
At least the Intellivision Amico has hardware and game play which gives me hope. I am now hoping to get that one in April.  :dunno

J_K_M_A_N

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2020, 01:14:09 am »
Just make it web based only and forget about hardware completely. Easy to copy protect.  Let the game distribute itself.

destial

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2020, 05:37:24 pm
  • I may go overboard but at least I'm having fun
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2020, 02:27:47 am »
Just make it web based only and forget about hardware completely. Easy to copy protect.  Let the game distribute itself.

The ongoing infrastructure costs and need for continual revenue make an online only platform a bit of a deal breaker from a platform perspective. Why do that when they could just license the games to the existing game streaming services and maintain a higher profit margin...

It also takes away from the look/feel and ownership aspects that people purchase consoles for. Otherwise we'd all be playing PC only games with DRM coming out of our ears. It's all about that reminiscent experience though it seems like Atari is missing that point anyway  :dunno

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2020, 03:11:52 pm »
At least the Intellivision Amico has hardware and game play which gives me hope. I am now hoping to get that one in April.  :dunno

J_K_M_A_N

Actually they don't.  They have gameplay from games that were already released on android and hardware that is supposedly working but they won't let any game journalists get ahold of it for review/preview.  Have fun throwing your money away. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2020, 03:18:07 pm »
I like the case shape.