Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Chibi - single player bartop. Raspberry Pi  (Read 32443 times)

chito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2023, 12:29:26 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
Chibi - single player bartop. Raspberry Pi
« on: June 18, 2017, 10:49:19 pm »
Chibi

Concept

Inspiration
this design is based off a design I found online. I really liked how different and modern the shape was. I also liked how sleek and flush the screen was with the marquee. I found the photo with no info of this bartop on some random foreign language forum. After a lot of digging around, I found what seems to be a website where the guy who created the original now sells them. here is the link https://www.re-arcade.com.sg/

Build Info and thinking behind build
I always wanted a small bartop for my desk at work. I'm currently in the middle of another build called Monolith and I figured while I'm cutting pieces out on the CNC machine, I should get my bartop cut as well using the off cuts. So I designed this little bartop and had the CAD files in a few days

Customisation
so some of the changes I made from the original was to make it 1 player. I wanted something more on the portable side, I find 2 player bartops are too big and at the same time too tight. I also increased the size of the control panel area so your hand can rest on it comfortably.

For this 1 player version, I bought a 10-inch screen, which I originally planned to have vertical for the same reasons as my other build. but instead decided to keep things simple.

On the front under the control panel will be 2 USB ports, Volume control, Headphones (really needed this for work) and Auxillary out. I'm cutting up some Logitech Z150 speakers to accomplish this as includes everything I need.

This bartop will be powered by a Raspberry Pi, it will also have a HifiBerry DAC + Standard – Phone jack version to clean up the audio. I have a few spare mausberry LED power circuits and will prob mod one for this build.

Artowrk
Im still playing around with ideas for this one but hope to have something soon

Build
So the parts have already been cut and ive already assembled some of it. Ive used wood glue and staples for most of it, with only the back panel and bottom panel using screws so that i can remove them for easy access to make repairs and updates etc

next is to use filler, primer and paint the base colour (black)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:00:40 pm by chito »

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
Re: Chibi - single player bartop
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:00:57 am »
Hi

Great design.. can I ask what programme have you used to draw those first concept images..
Have you cnc cut the parts yourself?

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:58:14 am »
it was created in Fusion 360. it's free for enthusiasts. I used to use SketchUp but fusion is, I would say, more powerful with more features

I've CNC'ed before but this time it was done by my mate who owns the CNC. Fusion can export the G-code needed but I've never done that yet. but I've watched Youtube vids on it and it looks pretty easy. It would still take some trial and error, which we couldn't be stuffed doing so we did it using my mate's usual method.

• export to def
  • save as eps with different colours for different depths
  • and he would import them into his machines software and create the paths

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 12:04:16 pm »
Came looking for Birthday Massacre, left disappointed.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:58:34 pm »
Love the design! Hope it goes well!  :applaud:

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:20:21 am
  • Load "1980"
    • retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects
    • Retro Zombies Byte
Re: Chibi - single player bartop. Raspberry Pi
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 02:29:40 am »
Great design. I love the planning and attention to detail. There is nothing like using 3D modelling to iron out any issues (not saying it catches all of them) I use sketch up but did try fusion 360 but hit some bugs (waiting on fixes from them). Fusion 360 is very powerful but im all thumbs with it, id recommend sketch up as an entry if there's anyone reading this thread and wondering about using software to design.

CNC is such a nice option if you have the connections (never looked into it myself for wood cuts anyway).

Looking forward to seeing more

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm on my last life, best not try anything stupid

-> Check out my other projects at http://retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 07:12:31 am »
Fusion 360 definitely has a steeper learning curve but it offers way more than SketchUp. I started with SketchUp and it's super easy to learn. For any newbies I would add that you don't have to learn SketchUp to learn Fusion, they are totally different beasts. But if you're totally new, SketchUp might be a good place to learn concepts.

Ok so I have a few updates.

Artwork
After trying a few different ideas I've ended up with the following. Pretty happy with it. Just wanted something that looked fun. As mentioned before this build will be powered by a RPi 3 and I wanted to use a "powered by Pi" type logo. looking around online for ideas I found out there is an official "powered by Pi" logo in the Raspberry foundations style guide. Couldn't get my hands on the official artwork file so I recreated it. Eventually, I did get the Official vector artwork and updated my design. It's on the bottom left of the side art near the button hole.

Build
So I ended up having to fix a few issues. While the wood was cut out via CNC machine, there are still variances in the actual cut out parts. Additionally, I had to cut the miter joints myself using a miter saw. Some of these were uncomfortably small lol, hands got really close to the blade, not much material to secure them while they were been cut. anyway so when I assembled it and started gluing things, they didn't always fit 100% but were very close. doesnt help that I had to assemble it really really quick (had to leave). So I used a sander and a Dremel to fix most things. There were 2 mistake in my design that I over looked, one ill mention later (speakers) and one where I didn't leave enough space for the nut used by the credit button, easy fix for the Dremel.

I also cracked the MDF pretty bad on one of the parts when I was adding the screw insert. Took it to the hardware store and spoke to a carpenter and he introduced me to builders bog. Which was basically a redo... after it set I redrilled the piolet holes and added the inserts, this time I had the part in a clamp to help the insert go in without pushing the sides out.

While all this fixing of joints and fittings was going on, I used filler to fix any holes, dips and gaps between parts.

Once that was done I started priming the MDF, especially any exposed edges, sanding in between coats for a total of 3 coats.

Speakers
So while I had the Dremel out with a cutting bit, I decided to get the speakers sorted. For this build, I'm using some Logitech Z150 PC speakers because I wanted volume control and a headphone jack. I opened the speakers and the wires were hot glued to the back.

So I cut it out thinking I might be best to try keep the wires intact. Ended up being unnecessary since I will need different lengths once inside the bartop. So I cut the wires. Easy enough to connect them or resolder the correct length wires later.

The next part was to cut out the audio controls to the correct size so they fit into the front panel of my bartop. I measured all the parts including the speakers when I designed this bartop so this wasn't too hard, just took some time. I did a test fit with everything and they fit perfectly in to their respective holes.

So here is where I found another mistake in my design... the audio controls (PCB) clash with the joystick! F#$k!! totally forgot to look into the actual spaces used by the components. Such a silly mistake, I've made other builds where I didn't make this mistake because I modeled the components fully, this one was a lot simpler. Anyway turns out the solutions wasn't ideal but simple enough... flip it upside down! audio controls work exactly the same as before the only real difference was the icons for Aux and headphones are now upside down. Meh, no biggy. I got lucky this time
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:30:19 pm by chito »

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 08:52:57 am »
Following this with great interest. I love the design. Great job so far. :applaud:

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:20:21 am
  • Load "1980"
    • retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 10:34:30 am »
This is why I mentioned that 3D modelling won't solve everything I've hit the same issues with things like this from virtual model to physical differences or unaccountable issues arising. There just isn't anything you can do to avoid this discrepancies so don't beat yourself.

Your planning and attention to the details is inspiring, well done dude, this type of project sings with multiple skill sets which you seem to be nailing as and when they show up.

Maybe for the speaker labels that are now upside down you could maybe include a new overlay to this area when you order your vinyl to cover some or all of that speaker CP.
I'm on my last life, best not try anything stupid

-> Check out my other projects at http://retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 11:05:12 am »
This is why I mentioned that 3D modelling won't solve everything I've hit the same issues with things like this from virtual model to physical differences or unaccountable issues arising. There just isn't anything you can do to avoid this discrepancies so don't beat yourself.

Your planning and attention to the details is inspiring, well done dude, this type of project sings with multiple skill sets which you seem to be nailing as and when they show up.

Maybe for the speaker labels that are now upside down you could maybe include a new overlay to this area when you order your vinyl to cover some or all of that speaker CP.

So true about modeling. Anytime I go to try something based in a concept, I always do a physical mockup first... That's where you catch these things.

Looks good tho OP. Liking it.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 07:26:17 pm »
When I first started using CAD for 3D printing or stuff like this, I used to make everything the exact sizes. This turned out to be a bad idea and while sometimes it gives you a super tight friction fits, most of the time parts don't fit. So these days I design all joints and holes with a clearance, doesn't need to be much about 0.3mm on all sides.

not a bad idea, only prob is that the icons arent printed on to the plastic, they are embossed. maybe i can sand down the surface and apply vinyl anyway... hmmm... thanks for the idea.

so some people might be wondering why not just remove the nob on the pot and create my own panel. When I started designing this build I tried to get the PCB out to measure it. Turns out it's really in there. couldn't get it out. additionally, the plastic secured the headphone and AUX jack and it also had a power LED and all icons... I figured it would be more work to recreate all that and it probably wouldn't come out as nice. So measured the size of panel that would fit all the controls and LED and used that in my designs.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 01:12:40 am »
Update
Ill take more photos and update this post soon

Painting done!
So all the painting is finally done, I stuffed it up a few times like getting dust on it while it was drying, finding new bugs and improvements I had to fix which would sometimes mean to had to sand a panel or something.. which meant repainting... especially on the main body. Anyway, that's all done now. Really sucks that I don't get the hours I want to spend on this. sometimes it's only a few hours a week

Assembly
I've started wiring up parts, screwing in PCBs etc. I was having trouble getting the screws to line up with the LCD driver PCB and then realized I installed the mount upside down! so it installs the wrong way around! The panel is locked in place and I can't remove it so I screwed in only one side and screwed in spacers only on the other side. Photos of this fail to come! lol. I also mapped out where the best placement for things are, taking into account wire lengths and stubbornness of cables to twist in the way you need them too! I really don't have much space to work with.

Audio
Last night I finished putting together the audio. Soldered new wire to the speakers and Logitech PCB, shortened the length of the 3.5mm audio line in cable.
I'll post photos soon.

RPi Setup
I also worked out the physical configuration for the Raspberry Pi and the HifiBerry DAC sound card

Using actual Arcade PCB leg stands, the Raspberry is actually hanging from the top plate of a case I found on eBay. This is because the standoff legs are already too high. And I need to use these legs so I can screw the RPi to the base of my bartop. That thing on top is the HifiBerry which I couldn't mount the way it was originally intended. There is no room for a fan, so I had to separate them. I used a short 40pin ribbon cable to do this and the Hifiberry is secured from the same plate as the RPi. I might be able to reduce the height is if move the fan to the side or something. But this config is ok and it fits and there is plenty of air flow with the fan in the middle like that.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 01:17:00 am »
Update
Ill take more photos and update this post soon

Painting done!
So all the painting is finally done, I stuffed it up a few times like getting dust on it while it was drying, finding new bugs and improvements I had to fix which would sometimes mean to had to sand a panel or something.. which meant repainting... especially on the main body. Anyway, that's all done now. Really sucks that I don't get the hours I want to spend on this. sometimes it's only a few hours a week. One question I did have is, I used enamel pain because its meant to be stronger than acrylic, thing take 16hrs to dry! but I've noticed it's still pretty easy to scratch and leave marks... Does it need more coats or is there a nice way to seal the paint job?

Assembly
I've started wiring up parts, screwing in PCBs etc. I was having trouble getting the screws to line up with the LCD driver PCB and then realized I installed the mount upside down! so it installs the wrong way around! The panel is locked in place and I can't remove it so I screwed in only one side and screwed in spacers only on the other side. Photos of this fail to come! lol. I also mapped out where the best placement for things are, taking into account wire lengths and stubbornness of cables to twist in the way you need them too! I really don't have much space to work with.

Audio
Last night I finished putting together the audio. Soldered new wire to the speakers and Logitech PCB, shortened the length of the 3.5mm audio line in cable.
I'll post photos soon.

RPi Setup
I also worked out the physical configuration for the Raspberry Pi and the HifiBerry DAC sound card

Using actual Arcade PCB leg stands, the Raspberry is actually hanging from the top plate of a case I found on eBay. This is because the standoff legs are already too high. And I need to use these legs so I can screw the RPi to the base of my bartop. That thing on top is the HifiBerry which I couldn't mount the way it was originally intended. There is no room for a fan, so I had to separate them. I used a short 40pin ribbon cable to do this and the Hifiberry is secured from the same plate as the RPi. I might be able to reduce the height is if move the fan to the side or something. But this config is ok and it fits and there is plenty of air flow with the fan in the middle like that.

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 12:37:39 am »
Looking great!

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 12:51:39 am »
Looks cool!

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 10:36:30 am »
Update

here are the photos of the Logitech Customisation: shorten wire lengths, soldered, heat shrink and hot glued into place

1 button power up/down???
I need to figure out how Im going to power this bartop. Originally I wanted a 1 button power everything ON/OFF. Press a button and the pi runs the bootup/shutdown and then turns all hardware on/off. I even posted the topic somewhere in these forums. After some discussion, it seems the RPi is better left on and instead only switch the screen and sound card off/on. Something about Linux systems preferring an always on type situation. Also If it's left alone there should be no write/read to the SD card which would also extend its life. Booting up has a lot of SD activity. The LCD is 12v and the sound driver is 5V so ill need either a 2 channel relay or even more simple would be a Double Pole Single Throw (DPST) switch. I've bought both for now.
Still, I'm not sure if killing power to the LCD is the best thing however, I used to work in Panasonic's R&D section back when CRT TVs were still a thing. CRT TVs don't like a cold start, in fact, most electronics don't which is why they have standby modes instead. Even when you think you're powering it off you are in fact putting it to sleep... so I'm not sure if a hard power switch for the IPS LCD is a good idea... anyone know anything about this?

Lay of the land
Anyway for now I'll just wire everything up and worry about powering up/down later.

I got to work on the wiring and placement for all the parts. It's really really tight in there and I had to play around with things. I tried to get the shortest cables for the HDMI, USB panel mounts etc but they are thick and needed some work to make things fit. I didn't want the RPi or any PCB, especially the soundcard near the speaker magnets just in case of interference etc.

I connected all the internal wiring and tested everything as I went along. I did have a scare with the screen. I mounted the Driver/Controller PCB, connected the ribbon cable and powered on the RPi and screen... I watched as the screen came on, had power but only showed a black screen... nothing came up. I dropped the box it was in once, it has gone on some long car rides (to where I'm building my other build) and I thought ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- I've broken the screen or something. I had 3 other screens (for the other build) which use the same Driver/Controller PCB so I retested everything. All the other Screens and their PCBs worked just fine :( Just this one for this build was black! why?!?! I didn't want to buy another one!! and it would also take 30 days to get here from China! I decided to work on it the next day and with a fresh mind, I unmounted the controller PCB and decided to retest it just in case. un mounted it powered on fine, working like it was brand new... well it is brand new lol. Anyway, it turns out the metal nuts used when mounting it was shorting the PCB! easy fix, I remounted and used nylon washers under the nuts. Perfect.

Then I moved onto the marquee lighting. The inside was black from the spray paint so I used the white primer to make the inside white before I apply the LEDs. I'm using a 5V USB powered white LED strip. It's super bright when on. I cut it to size, soldered the connections and stuck it in place. Seems the adhesive it has on the back isn't very good and ill have to use something else later.

and here is a no artwork, butt naked like a new baby Chibi! everything wired up for a test

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 11:39:07 am »
THat looks pretty sweet. I have all the parts to build one so it's interesting to see how you're tackling the problems.

For power and amp I've got one of these though: http://cpc.farnell.com/pimoroni/pim215/picade-hat/dp/SC14463?mckv=sIQNXEAVa_dt%7Cpcrid%7C72935640977%7Ckword%7C%7Cmatch%7C%7Cplid%7C%7Cpid%7CSC14463%7C&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-PIMORONI-Development_Boards__Evaluation_Kits-SC14463

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 07:10:59 pm »
Thanks for the support guys. I do the big writeups just incase it benefits someone. When I was reading about peoples builds it helped me heaps. Hopefully, I can prevent people from making the same mistakes I do.

the Pimoroni Picade HAT is a great solution. One I didn't know about when I started this project :( it has pretty much everything you would want in 1 handy PCB. there are only 2 issues for me.

1) The fact that its mono is no big deal really especially for a little RPi bartop. Most retro games don't need stereo anyway. The DAC I used is way over kill and way too expensive for what I need it for. I would be okay with mono, the Picade HAT is so cheap

2) The amp is built in, which is handy but with no volume control and no headphone jack. This build, when done, will live on my desk at work. so I need easy access to volume controls and more importantly headphone support. Adding a volume nob might be pretty easy with a pot maybe?

turns out Pimoroni have another board which has everything the Picade HAT has but plugs in via USB, has headphone support, Aux in support and stereo speaker support.
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/picade-controller-board
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:32:17 pm by chito »

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 10:35:06 am »
Finished

Final got around to finishing this build! As part of another build, I was waiting on the artwork for this project. The friend who helped me with the art and CNC got swapped and could get around to finishing the art. so I went to visit him and I helped him. Then we were able to finish.

Looks so nice with artwork on and finally all done. yay

So whats next?
I recently bought a 3D printer with a build size of 500 x 500 x 500mm (20 x 20 x 20inch). I've already started developing a version of this that can be 3d printed and easy to assemble

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 07:48:10 pm »
That's pretty cool. The artwork goes really well on it too.

I've had the bits laying around for a pi build for a while and when I do one I'll be looking into this one. I'll probably create something smaller(!) but seeing how you've tackled it is really useful.

Nice work  :cheers:

Blackhat1984

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2017, 01:30:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 04:47:41 am »
great work, i like the design, i was wondering if you manage to make the 3d print version it be perfect for me to make!!

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 12:59:20 pm »
Congrats. This turned out great. Love the size and shape of it.  :applaud: