Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Chibi - single player bartop. Raspberry Pi  (Read 257 times)

chito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
Chibi - single player bartop. Raspberry Pi
« on: June 18, 2017, 10:49:19 pm »
Chibi

Concept

Inspiration
this design is based off a design I found online. I really liked how different and modern the shape was. I also liked how sleek and flush the screen was with the marquee. I found the photo with no info of this bartop on some random foreign language forum. After a lot of digging around, I found what seems to be a website where the guy who created the original now sells them. here is the link https://www.re-arcade.com.sg/

Build Info and thinking behind build
I always wanted a small bartop for my desk at work. I'm currently in the middle of another build called Monolith and I figured while I'm cutting pieces out on the CNC machine, I should get my bartop cut as well using the off cuts. So I designed this little bartop and had the CAD files in a few days

Customisation
so some of the changes I made from the original was to make it 1 player. I wanted something more on the portable side, I find 2 player bartops are too big and at the same time too tight. I also increased the size of the control panel area so your hand can rest on it comfortably.

For this 1 player version, I bought a 10-inch screen, which I originally planned to have vertical for the same reasons as my other build. but instead decided to keep things simple.

On the front under the control panel will be 2 USB ports, Volume control, Headphones (really needed this for work) and Auxillary out. I'm cutting up some Logitech Z150 speakers to accomplish this as includes everything I need.

This bartop will be powered by a Raspberry Pi, it will also have a HifiBerry DAC + Standard Phone jack version to clean up the audio. I have a few spare mausberry LED power circuits and will prob mod one for this build.

Artowrk
Im still playing around with ideas for this one but hope to have something soon

Build
So the parts have already been cut and ive already assembled some of it. Ive used wood glue and staples for most of it, with only the back panel and bottom panel using screws so that i can remove them for easy access to make repairs and updates etc

next is to use filler, primer and paint the base colour (black)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:00:40 pm by chito »

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
Re: Chibi - single player bartop
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:00:57 am »
Hi

Great design.. can I ask what programme have you used to draw those first concept images..
Have you cnc cut the parts yourself?

chito

• Offline Offline
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:58:14 am »
it was created in Fusion 360. it's free for enthusiasts. I used to use SketchUp but fusion is, I would say, more powerful with more features

I've CNC'ed before but this time it was done by my mate who owns the CNC. Fusion can export the G-code needed but I've never done that yet. but I've watched Youtube vids on it and it looks pretty easy. It would still take some trial and error, which we couldn't be stuffed doing so we did it using my mate's usual method.

• export to def
  • save as eps with different colours for different depths
  • and he would import them into his machines software and create the paths

pbj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 12:04:16 pm »
Came looking for Birthday Massacre, left disappointed.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:58:34 pm »
Love the design! Hope it goes well!  :applaud:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31