Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Button Presses Repeating?  (Read 1477 times)

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:40:47 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Button Presses Repeating?
« on: June 16, 2017, 01:13:13 pm »
I'm having an issue with certain buttons "repeating" a keypress or firing multiple times.  It doesn't happen across the board.

I'm using Happ buttons with cherry microswitches and an Ipac 4 (old version with PS2 connections in USB mode connected with PS/2->USB cable).

Any suggestions on how to resolve?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Button Presses Repeating?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:50:10 pm »
if you activate the switch does it pick up one quick "on" press but show an "off" state or or does it continually random onoffonoff when activated?

if it's off, your switch might be no good. usually it settles at off when the moving switch contact  swings down, bumps the lower contact bounces a few times but eventually settles not touching the contact. you'll register a quick single or a few "on" pulses but stay off.

if it's onoffonoffon, you might have a resistance issue. measure the resistance between the switch contacts through the harness (disconnect your wire harness from the switch to the ipac) when it's activated. it should be 0 or very close to it (like 0.2ohms) any higher and the input may float between choosing if the switch is closed or open resulting in an "onoffonoffonoffon" type of input.

also check your ipac firmware version and be sure it's up to date.  (http://www.ultimarc.com/fwupgrade.html)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 02:02:47 pm »
Does it do it in notepad?

A long, long, time ago when this stuff was new to me I downloaded an unofficial mame build (mameplus I think) which had rapid fire enabled by default for some random games.
It took me forever to figure out the option was even there.

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:40:47 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 02:35:06 pm »
if you activate the switch does it pick up one quick "on" press but show an "off" state or or does it continually random onoffonoff when activated?

if it's off, your switch might be no good. usually it settles at off when the moving switch contact  swings down, bumps the lower contact bounces a few times but eventually settles not touching the contact. you'll register a quick single or a few "on" pulses but stay off.

if it's onoffonoffon, you might have a resistance issue. measure the resistance between the switch contacts through the harness (disconnect your wire harness from the switch to the ipac) when it's activated. it should be 0 or very close to it (like 0.2ohms) any higher and the input may float between choosing if the switch is closed or open resulting in an "onoffonoffonoffon" type of input.

also check your ipac firmware version and be sure it's up to date.  (http://www.ultimarc.com/fwupgrade.html)

I think it's more like onoffonoffon, but will hvae to check it when I get home.