Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So I picked this up the other day  (Read 4912 times)

GrizzlyThunder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 03:11:26 pm
So I picked this up the other day
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:56:31 am »
https://imgur.com/gallery/CKxLa

It's a small pool table that needs some love but I think I can fix her up without spending too much.

I know y'all aren't experts in this area but if anyone has any clue or information on this table I would appreciate it.

It's a 5.5' with a mdf top. Nothing special but I believe it would be a nice fit for a small place and be fun for all that visit.

The best part! It cost me $100 which is probably more than it's worth but the guy delivered it for me. But I didn't talk it over or mention it to my SO. So if you never here from me again send a search party to this address...

WeChat: GrizzlyThunder

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
Re: So I picked this up the other day
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:08:02 pm »
Slap some new felt on it and use the crap out of it. :)

http://www.wikihow.com/Felt-a-Pool-Table
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:10:18 pm by knave »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:03:27 pm »
I believe real pool tables have a slate top (or composite equivalent), so this is either a kids table or a diy hack job.  My suggestion would be not to spend too much money on fixing it up as you've probably spent half it's retail value already. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:07:52 pm »
That will play like garbage without a slate top. Burn it.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 01:11:53 pm »

Might be a consumer level table that broke its slate.  Either way, at that cost, if you enjoy it for 4-5 hours you got your money's worth.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 01:24:35 pm »
Most professional / high end pool tables have a slate top.  MDF pool tables are more common for home use when the end user wants to move the table around.  I have to agree with Knave on this one.  If your MDF is not warpred in any way take the table and apply new felt to it and go nuts.  You just wont have the feel of a slate top.  But when you are hanging out and drinking and playing pool with your buddies on a Saturday night does it really matter?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 01:33:34 pm »
If you live in a climate where the humidity fluctuates, the table will warp and buckle to some extent. As long as you don't spend a bunch of money trying to fix it up, you will probably enjoy it.

GrizzlyThunder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 02:17:26 pm »
I'm aware it's not a professional table that's slate. Plus it's smaller than a normal 7' in home. I was looking for something cheap, easy to place in a room, and expect the crap beaten out of it by all ages.

The mdf is not warped and I torn it down to see the condition internally and all looks well. Just needs new felt and light wood treatment.

Eventually I would like a slate 7' or above but for now with sizing and budget this will work perfectly.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 02:47:41 pm »

It was $100 delivered.  Gotta keep that in context. 

Be glad he didn't have me try to deliver it.  I'd still be sitting around trying to load it into my truck.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 04:25:27 pm »
My dad picked up a cheap table like that for our basement. we used it as is for 15 plus years and while the felt was worn and it made the balls travel slow...it was even for everyone and after a night of drinking no-one cared.

So enjoy.

GrizzlyThunder

• Offline Offline
So I picked this up the other day
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 06:18:43 pm »

It was $100 delivered.  Gotta keep that in context. 

Be glad he didn't have me try to deliver it.  I'd still be sitting around trying to load it into my truck.

Haha well this poor guy would have been too if I didn't do most of the lifting.

My dad picked up a cheap table like that for our basement. we used it as is for 15 plus years and while the felt was worn and it made the balls travel slow...it was even for everyone and after a night of drinking no-one cared.

So enjoy.

I definitely will. It's not the best game but it's still going to be fun and serve its purpose. Thanks.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 06:58:17 pm »
Good price, fun project. I need to go dust off my pool table now.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 01:39:30 pm »

I'm guessing that this is a very old table, which has been modified over the years, and lost it's slate bed long ago.

After the felt is removed, set up the table as level as possible, and see how the balls roll on the bare MDF.  This will give you a really good idea as to the condition of the top.  If it's really bad, don't waste money on the felt, before you consider replacing the top. Bare MDF is an awful material for the top, as it sucks moisture like sponge.  The newer "slatron" tables are nothing more than 3/4" melamine coated board, but as that material is plastic sealed top and bottom, just sealing the edges can make it much more moisture resistant than other wood tops.

Also pay close attention to the rails.  Make sure they still have good bounce, and aren't dried, stiff, broken or rotting.  Check to make sure that the wood backing material is securely attached to the rubber, and that it's good enough to be securely attached to the frame.  If they are loose, you will get really bad action on the table.

If you start running into problems, it'll probably cost more to fix than it's worth.  If that's the case, there's no shame in cobbing it together the cheapest way possible just to get some use out of it.  Otherwise, it'll likely turn into a money pit, 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 09:00:41 am »
If that's the case, there's no shame in cobbing it together the cheapest way possible just to get some use out of it.

Seems like that was his plan all along anyway.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 10:26:15 am »
I'm in the process of restoring a late 70's vintage bar table, myself.  The slate has been repaired and felt has been re-done.  It's also the  third table I have owned, so I have a fairly good idea as to what to look for, and how problems can affect usability.

Cheap felt costs at least $60, so slapping it on a top which is so bad that balls do an "S" trajectory when traveling down the table, or roll away from the pockets, will just be a waste of time and money.  Folks who don't play the game might initially think that a bad table will still get used, but the frustration makes it get old very quickly and it will collect dust.  Your guests will also complain about it incessantly, if you can even get them to play on it more than once (voice of experience :).)

If the top is bad, it's better to spend a bit extra and at least replace the top with 3/4" melamine (with sealed edges).  If the rails aren't perfect, that's something most casual players can live with.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 01:51:34 pm »
If you have the balls then refurbish it.

If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

GrizzlyThunder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 03:38:45 pm »

If the top is bad, it's better to spend a bit extra and at least replace the top with 3/4" melamine (with sealed edges).  If the rails aren't perfect, that's something most casual players can live with.

I think I'll check out melamine. The top isn't bad but even a novice like myself notices an area. Putting the single slate back in it would be great but I don't want to imagine the pain finding this size and the cost.

It does have all the balls they work just fine but are the wrong size. I  also made a ball cleaning machine from old junk around the shop that works quite well. Which shocks me.

I was thinking about using http://www.iszybilliards.com for some cheap but usable accessories.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 04:21:59 pm »
Is it me or since like 2010 poll tables have really seem to have gone out of fashion. Before that it was always like a man cave staple to have a pool table room in your basement.

Parents moved and wanted to know if I wanted there $5000 new looking table I did not even have to think about it when I told them to just sell it.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 04:38:09 pm »
I still have my pool table but I can't remember the last time I played on it... currently the cover is on it and it's where the lego city train resides...

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 04:50:07 pm »
Is it me or since like 2010 poll tables have really seem to have gone out of fashion. Before that it was always like a man cave staple to have a pool table room in your basement.

My very first Super Auction, circa 2002, they could barely give coin-op tables away.  It got down to $75 each for as many as you wanted.  But I think you're right - the price steadily crept up and now they're worthless again.  My issue with them has always been that people cram them into their extra guest room, which is inevitably 10x10 and far too small to comfortably play.  Nobody is familiar with anything besides the bar size, so don't count on your friends playing more than once if you get a 'full size' table.

It's one of those real good ideas that can't be shoved in the back corner of a storeroom and forgotten like an arcade cabinet or pinball machine... 

:dunno

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 08:20:39 pm »

I think it really depends on your circle of friends.  Pool is ok when practicing alone, but some competition with good friends (and plenty of beer) makes for fun times.  And yeah, cramped space really takes the enjoyment out of it.  You really need at least 6 feet all the way around.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 09:11:35 pm »

It also depends on where you live.  Up here you need to either dedicate half your house to it or live in a $500,000 house.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 09:52:22 pm »
Yeah space is a real issue with the hobby.  If it weren't I would have a row of skee ball machines line dup somewhere.  ;)

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 09:55:32 pm »
As a teen (like 14-17) I played non stop, every night.  Once I convinced the parents to get a table, I played for months straight, practicing even if I was just alone.  I loved it.   Kids eventually got in the way of playing, and I always thought I would have one again one day and use it that much.  So when I finished my game room a few years ago the first big accessory was a pool table.. Dropped a few pennies, got a nice table with 3 piece slate (1 1/8" slate) and had it professionally installed.  Played about 20 games total in 3 years.  Guests played but over time, house parties went from 3 per week to 3 per year, so it got little use.  Like everything else, it was a bad attempt to re-live my childhood.  Plus after years of not playing, I sucked.

And yet, the new house will have a 13'x22' "Rec Room" which is just begging for the pool table.  I will spend stupid money having new felt put on (had to tear it off to move it), having it leveled perfectly, and then it will get used 3 times a year when I have a party.  But it will make the room look awesome, lol.

The same went for the mame cab, the electronic dart board, the fire pit, the hot rod car, the hot tub, etc.  The only thing that I spent money on over the years as a "luxury toy" that got constant use was the home theater and the shop.  Those two are going in the new house, with "dream" budgets only because I know they will get used.