Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Happ 3" USB Trackball Driver  (Read 6634 times)

ScooterMAC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2012, 12:47:20 am
Happ 3" USB Trackball Driver
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:59:30 pm »
I have a Happ 3" Trackaball and its works great.......well its sucks. I know the standard ones work great, my buddy has one, but mine doesn't and I'm pissed. Here's the problem I'm having. When I use it to play Golden Tee or World Class Bowling it doesn't perform at full speeds like it should. When it reaches so many RPM's, it stops registering and then starts again when it slows down. I think I narrowed it down to a sample rate issue. Another problem is I can't adjust it.  Widows XP reconizes it as Samsung mouse usb mouse. I tried updating it through windows with no luck. I contacted Happ and they said "Sorry we do not supply any drivers for any of our products" -les.gottschall@suzohapp.com. I think that is a load of BS! I also asked them about why it says samsung mouse and they said it should show up as microsoft mouse. Again they would not tell me any where to find any drivers, if thats the problem. I bought it from torrnadoterrys.com and he swore its a ver. B board. I also asked Happ how to tell the difference between the versions and the response was that they are both green. I tried adjusting it through mame/analog controls and also downloaded some mouse sampling hacks that I found by searching this site. These helped out some, but not enough to do anything. Has anyone else had this problem? If you guys could help me find a driver for this thing that would kick ass! If anyone want's to see the runaround chain of e-mails, let me know. I will not buy Happ again, if I don't have to.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:33:47 am by ScooterMAC »
Kick Ass!

massive88

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
Re: Happ 3" USB Trackball Driver
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 08:39:09 am »
Maybe try downloading intellipoint and see if it can wrastle control?

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 08:47:48 am »
There are no drivers for Happ trackballs.  The trackballs are designed for use in actual arcade cabinets where drivers are not needed.  The PS2/USB attachment runs using standard protocols for which no driver is needed.  Since no driver is needed, Happ has no reason to create any. 

So what appears to be happening is that a driver you have on your computer is messing around with Windows. 
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

ScooterMAC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 09:45:52 am »
There are no drivers for Happ trackballs.  The trackballs are designed for use in actual arcade cabinets where drivers are not needed.  The PS2/USB attachment runs using standard protocols for which no driver is needed.  Since no driver is needed, Happ has no reason to create any. 

So what appears to be happening is that a driver you have on your computer is messing around with Windows. 

It is automaticlly set up through windows. I've uninstalled the driver and it will not work at all. So when I unplug it and plug it back in,  thats when it auto installs the driver. I pretty sure this thing needs a driver, I'm not sure what. I'll try the intellipoint and post it. Thanks
Kick Ass!

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 09:52:34 am »
It is automaticlly set up through windows. I've uninstalled the driver and it will not work at all. So when I unplug it and plug it back in,  thats when it auto installs the driver. I pretty sure this thing needs a driver, I'm not sure what. I'll try the intellipoint and post it. Thanks

You could also try doing as you said, and manually select a microsoft driver instead of letting it auto select the Samsung one.  Or manually change the driver in the System window to a microsoft one.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 11:24:34 am »
Yeah.  I have the same exact trackball and it works in Windows just fine without any driver needed.  So it certainly doesn't need a driver from Happ.
Donkey Kong High Scores:

ScooterMAC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 11:32:08 am »
Yeah.  I have the same exact trackball and it works in Windows just fine without any driver needed.  So it certainly doesn't need a driver from Happ.

Jdurg, How do you have yours set up?
Kick Ass!

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 11:35:01 am »
I have the same happ trackball as well, Im guessing just about everyones uses the default MS mouse driver.  Not sure why your computer is forcing a samsung driver on it.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 11:39:29 am »

Jdurg, How do you have yours set up?

I just plugged mine in via USB and via PS2 and default MS drivers loaded.

You may have some hardware, or software, on your system that for some reason is causing the other drivers to install.
Donkey Kong High Scores:

ScooterMAC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 12:35:18 pm »
 I'll have to check that out when I get off of work. Can you guys play the Golden tee and bowling games with no spin issues? If so, what do you have the analog controls set in Mame? I hope this is a simple fix. Its very frustrating spending over 100 bucks and not getting any help from the manufacturer. I really appreciate your help.
Thanks, guys :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:39:13 pm by ScooterMAC »
Kick Ass!

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 12:40:27 pm »
I use the default settings in mame with no issue.

I would uninstall your driver and load up intellipoint, it should grab control of the trackball.

ScooterMAC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 03:29:07 pm »
I use the default settings in Mame with no issue.

I would uninstall your driver and load up intellipoint, it should grab control of the trackball.

I went home for lunch today to check that driver out. Happ said it was a HID compliant and I used the Microsoft HID mouse driver. That helped out. I tried a couple of different drivers that windows had, inellimouse worked the best. It made a big difference, but I'm still missing the last 10 percent of the full spin. There was about 10 usb intellimouse drivers and I tried about half of them. The best I found was "Intellimouse USB Trackball Optical" or something like that. The drivers won't let me adjust the sample rate either. It does on my other mouse (Compaq/PS2). If you can tell me the exact driver that you guys use it would help. I'm still wondering why it showed up Samsung in the first place. I tried to uninstall the driver and it wouldn't let me, only uninstall the device. That leads me to believe that there is Samsung hardware in there and they forgot to flash its bios/memory or however it works. I tried asking Happ what hardware do they use, to try and contact them about drivers, and they wouldn't tell me. Punks! Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 03:44:41 pm by ScooterMAC »
Kick Ass!

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 04:31:11 pm »
...The PS2/USB attachment runs using standard protocols for which no driver is needed.  Since no driver is needed, Happ has no reason to create any. 

Just to clarify this marketing "no driver needed" PR crap...

What the full statement should say is "No extra driver needed to be installed; no need for a install disk; can use drivers already installed with windows."  Everything that states "no driver needed" means the above statement, be it mouse, thumbdrive or whatever, NOT that no driver is used, nor that it doesn't work better with an extra driver.  But another part that most "no driver needed" products also imply is "since we didn't need to, we didn't write a driver, so we can't help with any driver problems since MS wrote it."  :-\ 

Have to say on the plus side, there aren't the 1000+ third party drivers that can conflict with each other or crash the OS, like win9x and before.  Although it sounds like samsung did something to the standard MS mouse driver setup in the OP's case.

Back to the OP's problem, can't help you much besides what's already said.  I don't have the USB version, so I can't help with which driver is best.  But good luck. :)
Robin
Knowledge is Power

gigido

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2015, 02:09:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 03:42:55 pm »
Been a long time on this post, but did you ever have success with removing the Lag in golden tee?

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 09:27:09 am »
You'll get more answers if you change the name of the thread.

That being said, what version of GT, what version of Mame, etc?  I'm guessing that most answers will be that they don't have any lag.  I'm using Mame .94 and don't have any lag.

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 08:27:45 pm »
Just went from a betson imperial to a happ trackball and mine does the same thing. Playing Golden tee and bowling lags out. Pretty disappointed so far can't get it to work right.  :angry: