Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Guncon 2 - Dead Horse or Still Alive?  (Read 1088 times)

jonbenderr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Guncon 2 - Dead Horse or Still Alive?
« on: June 13, 2017, 05:48:31 am »
Hello again guys.

So I think I have managed to read every thread here and even elsewhere in regards to using guncon2 with a mame cabinet.

Information seems to drop off pretty quick as the posts get more recent.

Am I to late to get these things working as they are?

I have the official Namco NPC-106 guns so I've been trying to use the wingun program from ages ago to at least manage the rolling-x problem.  Drivers don't seem to install at all on Win 7 32-bit.  I have actually managed to get them to install on a virtualization of windows XP or what is known as XP Mode, but the guns do not detect.  I can even see "Guncon HID" or something similar in device manager but there is a code 10 when looking at the properties.

As for my video setup, I have a Manhattan PC to TV converter box.  I'm running VGA to this, than S-Video out to a CRT.  I've tried using composite out on the converter box as well as the composite out of my CRT to the guncon to no avail.

Pretty much every configuration I could try, I have tried.

I'm also seeing a message in information view of Wingun that it cannot load the profiles.

Is it my convertor box that is causing the problem?  I'm not opposed to swiping an actual tv out card off ebay if I can score one for cheap.

Getting a mod kit for the guns from Aimtrak right now is not an option due to cost so if I have to give up the dream of playing some Lethal Enforcers I guess that's just the way it is.  :)

Any new info out there that anyone could point me to would be greatly appreciated.

jonbenderr

• Offline Offline
Re: Guncon 2 - Dead Horse or Still Alive?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 01:13:10 pm »
Interesting update (maybe?).

Actually managed to get the drivers to install on windows 7 using PNPutil in CMD. 

Worked well enough that when I plug in a Guncon2 it pops up in Device Manager and reports as "working".

Now if only I could get wingun to detect the guns I would be in business.  Or at least the start of business.

Sean89us

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:27:42 am »
Could you go into more detail about how you got the drivers to install on windows 7? I can't get them to install. Something about a file not found

burn_654

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:25:07 pm »
I have been woring on the 'TopGunCon' project with testing/assistance from phasermaniac. Basically it is a two part project for the GunCon2 - a software screen flasher and a hardware timer circuit to fit shots inside of the white screen flash. So far it is working pretty reliably after you tune the circuit. This does rely on the Topgun3 driver (which means no rolling X fix - you need to use a third party gun) but the 64bit driver seems to work just fine if you enable testsigning for Windows 7 - 10. The 32bit driver would be suitable for Windows XP. It's very much a wip, I need to properly document the project and simplify the circuit. Phasermaniac is showing some success working on a fully-software version of what my circuit does, hopefully that can simplify things further.

Interesting that you got the WinGun driver to force install. I can say that WinGun works pretty well for supported stuff (anything that can do directinput for 2 player - mame and games supported by original troubleshooter worked well) but for emulators requiring rawinput like model2 or pcsx2 (or live cursor tracking for both guns) you're out of luck. As well as being stick in XP (again, may or may not be a problem, depends on your needs. New mame versions probably won't run.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:27:47 pm by burn_654 »

jonbenderr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 05:04:19 pm »
Yeah, I actually ended up installing xp and the guns detected no problem.

Windows 7 just wasn't happening, though I wonder how easy it would be to update wingun to work with 7.

I know nothing about driver programming though.

Fortunately none of the games I want are very demanding so I don't mind hashing things out with XP for a bit.

Good to hear there is still some work being done with these things. They are really nice guns. Look forward to learning more avout that project.

white_ghost

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 01:04:05 pm »
Hi all,
I'm trying to get the guncon2 working on the pc (win7 x32 x64)
If there are some mad tester here I would like to know if it works for you
Important, Read the readme.txt
https://yadi.sk/d/YZBrP4zo3NeYFm
Edit : a guy has reported my mega link of my work, so if this guy wants to explain to me why, in private, I will be very happy to understand
++
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:11:44 am by white_ghost »

Jeppo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 04:35:36 pm »
Hi all,
I'm trying to get the guncon2 working on the pc (win7 x32 x64)
If there are some mad tester here I would like to know if it works for you
Important, Read the readme.txt
https://mega.nz/#!Y1wFXLjQ!Mf7tOByIEJ07dwkUiibdi52BJXsWkjBZzxd6vTN22bw
++
Hello white_ghost :)

I have succesfully installed your drivers and software, but I am loosing tracking every minute or so. I also have poor tracking along the edges of the screen.

Best Regards

white_ghost

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 05:30:16 am »
Hello Jeppo,
Thx for feedback
I know it's not a perfect piece of software...
I re-checked again, but no loosing tracking even after long play (Under Windows or under mame)
Concerning the edges of the screen and poor tracking. I think it's due to the gun itself. I know that if the gun looses track it always sends the same fixed coordinates this is why you see the cursor sometimes appears in the left mid-upper of the screen. The software just transcribes the gun's coordinates to desktop coordinates, nothing more
This generally happened when you targeted darker area. For me, under desktop, the gun has difficulty with the taskbar because it's darker, under duckhunt, it has difficulty with the lower screen (Brown area, and black area)
As it's an optical device, have you tried to adjust contrast and luminosity of your tv set/crt, this may help a lot

p.s.
I made a little change (v0.02), because I realized the driver shut off after a month or more
edit : new link
https://yadi.sk/d/YZBrP4zo3NeYFm

Edit 2 : a guy has reported my mega link of my work, so if this guy wants to explain to me why, in private, I will be very happy to understand
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:38:08 am by white_ghost »

phasermaniac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 06:20:54 pm »
Interesting! Ill take a look tomorrow, I use a guncon45+ems dualshooter + ems topgundriver.
I also have two guncon2, but, what is this? A whole gun driver itself, an addon to some other driver?

white_ghost

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 01:43:05 am »
Hello,
It's a simple driver/software for the guncon2

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31