Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie Control Panel Help - Controller  (Read 2616 times)

magnamatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2017, 11:51:30 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Newbie Control Panel Help - Controller
« on: June 10, 2017, 02:03:15 pm »
Hi All,

Constant lurker here working on my first system.  Appreciate the posts I've been able to find that have helped me on my way thus far.
I'm 80% complete on my rough cabinet build, while working on my hyperspin setup in tandem (~80% done there).
It's time to start planning out my control panel and hardware.
I've searched for a while, but can't quite get my head around the controller I need for my build.

2-player setup (2 8-way sticks).
Trackball (the kids talked me into this).
1 4-way stick. (This is purely the wife's request.  She plays Ms. Pac Man for hours, and wants the 4-way stick.  She doesn't want to mess with changing an 8-way to a 4-way.)
20-22 total buttons (non-led).
32" LCD TV for the monitor.
I5 desktop system running HS.

I've looked across some of the retails sites for I/O controllers that has the number of inputs I'd need, but I still don't think I'm 100% clear on what I need at a minimum.  I don't think I'll upgrade to LED buttons or realistically upgrade the control panel in the future.
I see that an IPAC2 would work with the trackball - but I'm unclear if by adding the 3rd stick (4-way), how that interacts or if there are enough inputs.

Learning as I go - and the HW portion is still new to me.  Any help is appreciated.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:55:06 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Newbie Control Panel Help - Controller
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 03:20:54 pm »
Welcome aboard, Magnamatt.   ;D

I'm unclear if by adding the 3rd stick (4-way), how that interacts or if there are enough inputs.
You can wire the 4-way stick in parallel with the Player 1 8-way stick.

The encoder input doesn't care which switch applies the ground, it only knows that when ground is applied to an input port it sends the programmed output.

When lines cross, a dot = connected and no dot = not connected.

I've looked across some of the retails sites for I/O controllers that has the number of inputs I'd need, but I still don't think I'm 100% clear on what I need at a minimum.
You mention 20-22 buttons which probably breaks down something like this, right?
- Each player has 8 player buttons + Coin + Start (10 x 2 = 20)
- Admin buttons for Exit + Pause (2)

Digital inputs:
  8 inputs - 8-way sticks (2) + 4-way stick wired in parallel with P1
22 inputs - 22 total buttons
-----
30 inputs

Optical inputs:
2 axes - Trackball X-axis and Y-axis

It will fit on an IPac2 with two input ports to spare.   ;D

Scott

GeoMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:17:57 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 04:02:56 pm »
You can use an Ultrastick 360 joystick which can be auto-programmed through MAME to act as 4-way or 8-way (among other modes). That way you will avoid the need for two different joysticks.

magnamatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 04:35:45 pm »
Thanks PL1.  That makes sense - so as long as you don't touch the other P1 stick at the same time, it will function normally.
I'm back and forth between 6-8 buttons.  I'm still reviewing the system utilization to see if I'm going to want 8 based on the my wants.

GeoMan - I glanced at the US 360 (probably didn't look long because of price. :) ).  That sure would be nifty and clean up the control panel.  I'll go read a few reviews on it to see what people think.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 04:49:58 pm »
GeoMan - I glanced at the US 360 (probably didn't look long because of price. :) ).  That sure would be nifty and clean up the control panel.  I'll go read a few reviews on it to see what people think.

I really like mine. But I'm not a purist; I just want to play games. The no button clicking bothers some people. I don't use a restrictor plate.

GeoMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:17:57 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 05:54:43 pm »
Thanks PL1.  That makes sense - so as long as you don't touch the other P1 stick at the same time, it will function normally.
I'm back and forth between 6-8 buttons.  I'm still reviewing the system utilization to see if I'm going to want 8 based on the my wants.

US 360s are not expensive if you consider that you will save on the second 4-way joystick and the fact that they come with their own USB board. You can connect up to 8 buttons on each US 360 and since their board supports a "shift" function, you can have as many as 15 different actions (with the "shift" button pressed down the other buttons produce a secondary action).

On top of that they can operate as fully analog (for games like Space Harrier) and they use magnets to register movement so you don't have to deal with damaged joystick parts. You can also program them for Q-Bert (diagonals) or any other type of movement. You can also make the change in the movement direction more or less sensitive.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:21:02 pm »
If your wife wants Pac-Man then be a real man and get here one of the new replacement sticks they make precisely for Pac-Man, and don't go with any switching or off brand setups.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 12:29:18 pm »
I'd got the ipac ultimate route. The one with direct connections for trackball...
https://www.ultimarc.com/ipacuio.html

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 02:17:20 pm »
I'd got the ipac ultimate route. The one with direct connections for trackball...
https://www.ultimarc.com/ipacuio.html
Since about 2015 IPACs have the same trackball (2x4) and spinner Dupont pin groups . . .

that are on the Ultimate I/O. (different positions, same pinouts)

Scott

magnamatt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 12:37:40 am »
It looks like the Ultimate I/O would give me the obvious LED option should I choose that path in an upgrade or if I wanted to get fancy.
In addition, I would be only ~$30 more for the ultimate after spending $30 on a wiring kit with an IPAC2.  Plus the ultimate comes with the wiring kit (albeit - standard lengths).  Am I missing something that the ultimate is really the better option?

If I could talk my kids out of the trackball (very few games we'd actually play), that $$ could go to LED buttons and the US 360.  Geez....too many options leads to changing my mind often... :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 01:58:23 am »
It looks like the Ultimate I/O would give me the obvious LED option should I choose that path in an upgrade or if I wanted to get fancy.
In addition, I would be only ~$30 more for the ultimate after spending $30 on a wiring kit with an IPAC2.  Plus the ultimate comes with the wiring kit (albeit - standard lengths).  Am I missing something that the ultimate is really the better option?
IMHO the Ultimarc wiring kit is a bit expensive for what you get.

You can find better deals on pre-fab wiring (especially pre-fab daisy chains -- your fingers will thank me later  ;D ) at Paradise Arcade Shop or you can buy some cheap JAMMA harnesses and cut off the edge connector.

If you want to be able to "roll your own" wiring with Quick Disconnect crimps, a ratchet crimper is a great investment -- once again, your fingers will thank me later.

There are also swappable jaws that will allow you to crimp Molex or Dupont pins/sockets.

Search my posts for "ratchet crimper" for more details and links.

If I could talk my kids out of the trackball (very few games we'd actually play), that $$ could go to LED buttons and the US 360.  Geez....too many options leads to changing my mind often... :)
For an organized approach, check out the "What type of build meets my needs?" design process in the FAQ.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160809113045/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ#What_type_of_build_meets_my_needs.3F

Step 2 is your friend.   ;D

Scott