Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TableTop RetroPie  (Read 1993 times)

fryed_1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2017, 11:15:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
TableTop RetroPie
« on: June 09, 2017, 05:15:14 pm »
Co-worker saw a couple of my machines and wanted something similar but didn't have the space for a full-sized arcade.  Here's what I came up with.  Magstick controllers, Happ buttons, Ipac Ultimate and RPI3.  Oh and it needed to be able to fit in a bag that would fit in an airplane overhead bin, so that was another restriction.

Has HDMI and 3 USB on the back plus standard 3prong power.  Extra USB is for keyboard/gamepads because he wanted multiple ports and emulators to use with gamepads too.  120 watt power supply inside.

Disclaimer:  I am not a fan of the finish.  I would have preferred a month to do a finish like this with at least 3-4 days curing time inbetween coats, but it was kind of a rush job done in two weeks.  It should be smooth like glass, but there's some air bubbles and waviness that I wasn't able to clean up in time to get it delivered.  He was definitely happy about it and didn't really pay any attention to it, so I suppose it's acceptable, I'm just kind of picky in something like this to get it perfect... I do with I had gotten a better pick before he left with it without the dust but oh well.

Anyways it's very solid, made from good oak.  There are 12 RGB LED accent lights under the bottom for the "underglow" effect - 3/8" tall feet on it place it far enough off the ground for it to look good.  Was a fun build, but I would have preferred much longer than 2 weeks to get it complete.  Other than that it's a hell of a lot of fun and nice for a machine as fully capable as one of my fullsized arcades but sitting on the coffee table in the living room.  I do wish I had gotten a better pic with the dust cleaned off before he took off with it though heh.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:22:57 pm by fryed_1 »

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
Re: TableTop RetroPie
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 05:46:41 pm »
Nice build. That was what I had initially intended to do with my control panel, but it kind of took a life of it's own <G>

I see what you mean about the finish, but, hey, two weeks? Not bad given the time constraints!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 06:18:51 pm »
I think I would have inset the coin buttons, but other than that I like it.

fryed_1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2017, 11:15:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 06:34:28 pm »
Just heard from him and he's leaving for travel in two weeks and dropping it off with me then.  I'll have it for a month while he travels then we're meeting at the same conference in DC and giving it back to him, so I'll be able to finish it off right.  I even told him that it's great he thinks it's awesome but I really hated putting something out like that with my name on it lol

And yes, inset coin buttons is one of the things I wanted to do and route out the joysticks to pop them up a little higher.  Also wanted to customize the LED scripts for gameplay, throw some LED's in the coin buttons and *maybe* under the trackball so it glows just barely enough to give some light on the control panel in the dark.

And sand, sand, sand and polish to get that topcoat smooth as glass.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:56:11 pm by fryed_1 »