Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Invaders: 27 November - Cabinet complete (and video)  (Read 28524 times)

markc74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
Re: The Invaders: 26 July. Kerfing sucks
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2017, 06:21:05 pm »
It's been a while…

But stuff has been happening. I blame school summer holidays and looking after a very hyperactive five year old for a lack of posting. I also got made redundant which put a dent in my computer time but hey ho - on we go :)

The last installment had me failing at kerfing wood. I tried a couple of things since then using *really* thin MDF and even laminate but it all looked like crap so I sucked in and spanked out £30 on some bendy ply. Which worked!

I had to change my front panel a little because originally I was cutting too much out which was affecting the strength of the wood but I’m happier with how it looks now.

Anyway… pics

That was a major relief and probably the hardest part of the build so far.

That done, I sanded and filled, sanded and filled…

And primed

And installed the power inlet (no pictures).

You can see the control panel in the final pic as I've been doing some work on that too. I'll post a proper update when I've got some decent pics.

I’m now in the process of painting which I hope will be finished by tomorrow. I’m going for a light grey shade as the artwork will be quite bright. Speaking of artwork I’ve been getting some advice from a very kindly member here so I’m hoping that should be finished soon and then I can send it to the printers.

Woodwork finished so no more dust! Yay!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
Re: The Invaders: 15 August - Bendy front panel done!
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2017, 08:45:35 pm »
Yerp - that looks great. Lovely curves on that milk maid.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2017, 11:14:10 pm »
I kerffing love this thing!

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 01:32:47 am »
Beautiful.

I like this a lot.  Good show. 

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 03:59:03 am »
Hell yeah, this is turning out excellent! Nice kerf choice, much improved over the original look. :applaud:

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2017, 07:16:59 am »
Thanks guys.  :cheers:

Painting is almost done. Outside is finished but for some daft reason i picked up an oil based black paint for the bit around the monitor so it's going to take longer to dry. I'll put a second coat on tomorrow and then that should be all the painting done bar touch ups.

The inside has been painted white just to keep it tidy.

Artwork is presently on hold because my new laptop has gone kaput. Bloody windows 10 and the start bar has stopped working. I managed to get around it for a while but now explorer won't run either. Looks like a full reinstalll is on the cards once I've managed to copy my files over. Grrr.  :banghead:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2017, 10:52:31 am »
This is looking great!  Keep us updated.   :applaud:

I was also curious on how the actual bending wood was installed.  It looks pretty flawless.

Nice work!

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 05:54:37 pm »
That is a pleasing curve to the front panel, nice work.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
Re: The Invaders: 18 August - painted!
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2017, 09:10:45 am »
Painting finished…

The last few days have been spent painting the inside and outside of the cabinet. The inside is white satin, with a black background where the monitor goes so that it will appear to float inside. The outside is a grey satin. It's nowhere near the flawless finish that some of you guys get on your cabs but I'm pretty happy with it.

Had some white t-molding left over from Blip so I've used that for the time being. Once the artwork is on i may order some orange but I'll wait and see how it all ties together.

I was also curious on how the actual bending wood was installed.

I used 5mm bendy ply which I manually bent around 3 9mm pieces of MDF for support. Here's a pic from inside of the cabinet so you can hopefully see what I mean.  I ended up doing this whilst the cabinet was on it's back and used a combination of clamps and very heavy weights to keep things together while the wood glue set.  It's pretty solid now.

Going to have a break from building for a couple of days while the paint cures a bit. Then I'll start mounting the displays, mounting the PC and sorting out the other 101 things that I always forget about when I'm building these things  ;D

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2017, 09:33:51 am »
Looks good!  One question though, why the T-molding across the bottom of the cabinet?  That just looks... odd.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2017, 09:40:27 am »
Thanks! It's not t-molding- it's L shaped plastic edging. I'll be using it at the top to hold the bezel in too.

Also it covers my slightly shonky plywood cut at the bottom ;D

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2017, 10:47:09 am »
This looks great. To be honest the, first post and such had me worried you were aiming too high... then BAM! you hit it. I love how its not your typical cab... I smell a HOF worthy one here.

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2017, 07:20:22 am »
Hey there...

This looks great :)  Love the use of the shallow CRT and the Dell for the marquee... out of interest, where did you get the CRT from?  What size is it?

Can't wait to see the artwork!

How have your dealings been with https://www.arcadeartshop.com/ ?  I'll need to order some more soon for my rotating cp project... was going to get it from Scott in the states again, but if there's a decent UK company it'll save me some import pennies!

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:23:43 pm
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2017, 04:11:18 pm »
Wow, this cab is one of the coolest I've seen in a while :D

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2017, 02:29:13 pm »
Looking good as usual.  LOVE those curves.   :cheers:

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2017, 11:03:28 am »
Am i the only one who is more excited about the OP's progress this weekend than the work on their own cab?  :lol

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2017, 03:37:49 pm »
Am i the only one who is more excited about the OP's progress this weekend than the work on their own cab?  :lol

😀 Not as fast as i want to but stuff is happening chap - I've just got to sort my pc out to get photos up.

I've mounted the monitors and sorted out the wiring at the top of the cab (power / marquee LCD / USB ports) so will do a proper update in the next day or so.

Jimbo - I've only exchanged emails with Muddy (arcadeartshop) so far but his quote was pretty good and inline with what you'd get charged in the U.S.  The quality looks amazing though:

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80781&title=arcade-art-shop-repro-artwork-store-new-items

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2017, 03:41:39 pm »
This is cool Mark, keep it coming!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
Re: The Invaders: 27 August - Mounting the displays
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2017, 08:50:18 pm »
Bit of a long post this as there's been a few things done. Hope this is proving useful to people, or at least interesting(!). I kinda like journaling the whole thing as it keeps me focused and it's great to get some feedback. I can do 12 hr build videos if peeps would prefer that tho… ;). Maybe I'll do some unboxing videos of trackballs or show me walking to a local DIY store buying plastic edging. Yeah.  >:D

Mounting the displays

When i made the mount for the crt i didn't really try to get it too accurate. It was quite a pain getting it mounted without scratching the screen or damaging any of the chassis so i overcut the hole for the screen. When i mounted it into the cab this looked pretty obvious.

So i thought I'd make an inner bezel to cover the gaps and screw holes. The crt is curved so this was a bit tricky but i had the idea that if i cut some cardboard the same size as the monitor frame but made a big hole around the monitor i could use masking tape to create an accurate template.

I then traced this onto 3mm wood that i had laying around (from a previous failed attempt at the front panel!). A bit of work with the jigsaw - and a lot of work with a hand file, i eventually got a semi decent bezel.

Looks good enough for me

TBH i could have just made this out of matt back poster board but i thought I'd use my scrap wood up. In the future I'd probably go that route though as i wouldn't have had to paint it.

Before i put the marquee monitor in i needed to channel the cabling as it would be near impossible to do it with a monitor in the way so i wired up the cabling for the marquee monitor, pc power and external USB ports.

Then added the marquee monitor. This is just some 12mm ply screwed to the monitor using the vesa mount. I didn't paint the ply because a) you won't see it ultimately, and b) i forgot.

1% A, 99% B tbh…

And here's a shot from the top. I've added a couple of vents so the the LCD doesn't get too hot.

And that's where I'm up to as of 4 hours ago. A few crappy jobs done but at least I'm not falling over monitors in my spare room now :)

Next job - wiring the tv speakers up and getting the pc in…

Artwork is still on hold until i fix my pc...

And cheers for the comments guys - it's a really fun build, but also damn tricky in places so hopefully me documenting stuff proves helpful to someone out there!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:03:39 pm by markc74 »

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2017, 08:58:48 pm »
This looks great :)  Love the use of the shallow CRT and the Dell for the marquee... out of interest, where did you get the CRT from?  What size is it?

Sorry Jimbo - missed your question before. I won the CRT on ebay for ... £1. No ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. I had a max price on of £50 and no-one else bid on it so I got a lucky break :). It's a B&O MX4000 which is 21". Picture seems pretty spot on and I can use the same remote control as the one I use on my Blip cabinet which is a massive bonus as the remote controls for B&O stuff is ludicrously expensive...

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2017, 11:21:24 pm »
So glad I popped in here tonight. That is looking great!  :applaud:

That CRT is going to look wicked too I bet. So Jealous you folks have scart over there. May have to steal the tape trick you used to make your template.

Dying to see the art.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2017, 07:46:01 pm »
Hi guys,

Things are moving on but I'm in a rush so I'll just post a quick pic of where I'm up to. I'll do a proper post in a couple of days when i get a chance  :)

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2017, 09:26:58 pm »
Dude.....

Just... wow!!!!!

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2017, 10:22:29 am »
Lookin Good!

I am curious, how wide is the cabinet? Next to the other cabinet, it really makes The Invaders cab really pop. I wish I had the kind of vision you do. This is one of my faves.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2017, 07:12:53 pm »
Lookin Good!

I am curious, how wide is the cabinet? Next to the other cabinet, it really makes The Invaders cab really pop. I wish I had the kind of vision you do. This is one of my faves.

Hi Morton - thanks! The cabinet is 53.8cm wide (50cm wide control panel + 2x18mm MDF sides). It's 180cm tall and 72cm from back to the front of the control panel.

Update incoming...

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2017, 07:20:59 pm »
Time for an update methinks... Essentially the building part is done I've just been a bit lazy sitting down and documenting it. It's still got a couple of things to do, but it's mainly getting the artwork printed and applied and sorting out the software.

Anzwaz - I’ll break this up into a couple of posts as I’ve been doing lots of things and have loads of photos. Starting with:

The control panel

I’d already created the mockup of this using 9mm MDF so I recreated it with 18mm. Because I don't want joystick/trackball mounting screws showing, I’ve also cut out a 1mm steel sheet that sits on top of the control MDF.

This should show you what I mean: (as usual clicking on the pics will show them at full resolution)

And here’s the controls I’ll be using for the main panel: a Spintrak spinner, a Servostick joystick, 3 goldleaf buttons (Ultimarc) and a 2.25” spinner (Happs)

In order to mount the trackball flush, I’ll be supporting it underneath using some scrap wood connected to long screws and nylon nuts. (I've changed the nuts from what is in the pic below)

From the top it’s now flush

Customary wiring pic

And final top pic with metal sheet attached

This may be the first time I've wired up a control panel and got the joystick connections in the right place  ;D

More coming soon...

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Re: The Invaders: 13 September - Control panel done
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2017, 02:34:35 am »
Looking great! Great project, great choices! Lovin' this cab so far.   :applaud:

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2017, 10:01:44 am »
Cheers Opt. I've been getting some good advice  ;D

Speaker / Start panel

I’m using the speakers from the B&O TV which are plenty punchy enough for this build. Because I’m using an IPAC, I can control the volume using shifted buttons rather than wiring in a volume pot for a change. This meant all I had to do was extend the speaker cables from the TV chassis to the front panel.

I’ve used grey speaker cloth in front of the speakers to offer some protection - it’s all held in with screws so should be fine. I’d also painted around the speaker holes with white satin, as this should hopefully(!) tie in with the artwork later.

Finally I’ve added the buttons for Start 1/Credit 1/Start 2/Credit and their wired into a block which is then extended via a longer cable to the control panel. This should give me enough space to work with for when I need to work on the control panel in the future. I’ll probably add some sort of connector to this cable so that it can be more easily separated in future but I didn’t have any 5 pin connectors around at the time (and I was impatient!)

And from the inside. It's a bit tight around the trackball/speaker but not too bad.

The end is nigh... so I'm thoroughly expecting something to go wrong...!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2017, 07:23:04 pm »
Bad news. Good news. Good news.

Firstly, my crt died. I was very upset. Having spent hours decasing/mounting/bezeling the tv it was a massive kick in the balls when it stopped working.

But - I’m an optimist (or at least i hope i am) and managed to pick up the same model from eBay. Bit more cash than i wanted to pay but the picture is better than the old one and i didn’t really have many options.

And the artwork is finished and sent to the printers. I’m really chuffed with how it looks now. Can’t wait to put it all together.

Not long now...

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
Re: The Invaders: 21 September - Some bad. But mostly good.
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2017, 08:31:39 pm »
The end is nigh... so I'm thoroughly expecting something to go wrong...!

Bad news...

Firstly, my crt died...

Wow, what a called shot.

I mean, that sucks about the CRT, and my sympathy for having to do the rework. 

But at least your sense of intuition is accurate to three significant decimal places?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Re: The Invaders
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2017, 08:42:51 pm »
Bad news. Good news. Good news.

Firstly, my crt died. I was very upset. Having spent hours decasing/mounting/bezeling the tv it was a massive kick in the balls when it stopped working.

It’s a Bang and Olufsen MX4000 which I chose because I’m a big fan of the picture quality, and they are ridiculously shallow. The downside (as mentioned above) is that the circuit boards are a bit scary when you first see them as there are about 6 of them all connected together via a plastic cage.
I completely missed that this was a MX4000!  They are supposedly great RGB consumer monitors. We never saw these in North America, but I've read about them from all the UK people who are into RGB monitors. Luckily you found a replacement, but that sucks that another great monitor that could be used for gaming bites the dust.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2017, 11:26:48 am »
Yeah - was a massive pain getting a new TV and swapping everything over but the picture is much better and brighter so I'm not going to get too upset about it. It was quite a relief that the new TV used the exact same size tube so my bezel board just fitted straight on.

I've slotted the new one in now and apart from a few geometry issues that I need to sort out - which is a massive pain on MX4000's I'm pretty much done.

I'd read that Trinitrons were the be all and end all when it came to scart TV's (other than PVM's) but I tried one of those first and preferred the MX4000. The second TV I got has an older firmware and less circuit boards but the picture quality is something else. I'm definitely going to pick up a spare though as the cabinet is built around it so I cant just slot it any CRT TV.

Frontend is also done - I'm using Attract Mode again because I wanted something really simple. Up/down chooses a game. p1 starts the game. p2 shows more game info. That's it. Games list is about 200 at the moment but I'll probably filter it down some more (ignore the numbering on the screenshot - that was created on my laptop)

So - unless anything else goes wrong (!) I think I'm about finished. Hopefully the next big post will be the artwork going on... Crossed fingers.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2017, 09:05:09 pm »
Whoops. Been a while. Real life and all. (And resident evil 7 in vr - holy sheeeeet)

Anyway - picked up a spare tv and it turned out to be even better picture than the one i was using so swapped it. It’s an mx4200 which is a flat tube. Not ideal but the clarity (and nigh on perfect geometry) made it worthwhile. Stored the old tv and recreated the mount for the new one. Old hat at this now tho so only took an hour.

Did the same bezel stuff only used poster board this time and it was much easier.

Also - motherboard died so had to buy a new one  :banghead:    I’m starting to think this cab is jinxed.

All being well the artwork will arrive this week and then it will be done. Bar fish tank in the base. It’s 2017 after all.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2017, 09:24:29 pm »
 :cheers:

Gemini wing woot!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2017, 06:55:35 am »
All being well the artwork will arrive this week and then it will be done. Bar fish tank in the base. It’s 2017 after all.

Tropical or freshwater?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2017, 02:52:27 pm »
Bump, any luck finding a replacement mobo?  This project has to be close to completion now right?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2017, 02:55:05 pm »
Yeah all sorted. Reinstalled everything so I’m pretty much ready to go. There’s been a delay in the artwork but should be arriving tomorrow. Hopefully!

I’m avoiding playing it until it’s finished. Bah OCD.  ;D

chris77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 10:08:55 am
  • Instant C
    • visual pinball
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2017, 02:56:46 pm »
can't wait  :cheers:

cheers Chris

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2017, 04:58:51 pm »
I’m avoiding playing it until it’s finished. Bah OCD.  ;D

This is a good idea. It's easy to fall into that hole. ;)
Can't wait to see this one done. It's the only project here currently that I'm excited to see finished, and it's got a refreshing design and cool theme that we haven't seen here in a long time.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2017, 05:51:48 am »
Very classy build.  :cheers: