Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Invaders: 27 November - Cabinet complete (and video)  (Read 28513 times)

markc74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:52:10 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
The Invaders: 27 November - Cabinet complete (and video)
« on: June 08, 2017, 07:27:40 pm »
Hi all!

I've had this build on the back burner for about two years while i toyed with different ideas. For a long time it was going to be called “ZAP!” to go with Blip but i couldn't settle on artwork so decided to go back to basics and make it a homage to the granddaddy of vertical cabs:  Space Invaders.

It will be a single player vertical cabinet using a 21” b&o mx4000 for the main display and a 17” dell widescreen LCD for the dynamic marquee (because it's my thang!). As with my cube cabinet I'll be masking off half of the LCD to give me something marquee sized.

Before building the cabinet i wanted to make sure everything would work as i hoped it would. As I’ve just finished panelling a room, I had a load of offcuts and spare material I could throw together quite quickly. One brad nailer and 2 hours later and I’ve got this:

Yeah it's rough around the edges(!) but this was great for getting the height and angles of everything right before the main build. I tweaked quite a bit before i ended up with this and now I'm really happy with where everything is i can do the final tweaks to the 3D model and get ready to build the real one.

I've got a pretty good idea now what  i want the artwork to look like as it will be a mashup of space invaders art and the ‘The invaders’ tv show logo as i used to watch it with my folks when i was a kid and it really brings back happy memories.

I won’t be able to start on the build properly for a week or two as have to paint all that panelling but it gives me time to finalise the design a bit.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:35:42 am by markc74 »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: The Invaders
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:23:16 pm »
As the kids used to say... Subscribed!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 07:28:11 am »
I should probably add that although the mockup only took 2 hours, i was working from an almost ready 3D model so it was literally a case of throwing wood together. The control panel is about the 5th version and i still ended up moving the joystick across 1.5cm so it didn't interfere with the spinner.

What i realised straight away was that i need to extend the front lip of the control panel an extra cm or 2 so that the edge doesn't dig into my palms when I'm playing centipede.

I'm debating whether i should show the final design now or let it come together in real time as i build it which could be more fun (and hide any mistakes i make on the way  ;D)

Thoughts?

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:17:55 am »
following your progress.

How are you getting a marquee and screen out of one LCD?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 08:23:38 am »
His screen is a CRT tv. The LCD is the marquee.

The panel layout looks pretty good to me. Are there any vertical games that need three buttons?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 08:27:34 am »
Thanks - that's right I'm using 2 displays.

Gunsmoke was the main one but there may be others. I was this thinking 3 for modern shooters(?) but it's not something i know a lot about. If there isn't many that use 3 I'll certainly drop the extra button as ideally the panel will be as minimal as possible.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:35:45 am »
When you said vertical cab my brain instantly went to my cab. I have a vertical CRT cab, but I have a dedicated 4 way stick. That limits my game selection. I figured out that I only need 2 buttons.  ;)

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 08:38:17 am »
Ah - I'll do some more research before i commit to 3 buttons then.

I'm using a servostik for this build so will dig some more

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 08:40:02 am »
I like your mock up. I have been considering building something like that for testing PCBS, monitors, and arcade controls.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 10:42:32 am »
Tutankham is a vertical game which plays well with a 4-way joystick and 3 buttons for left, right, and smart bomb.  That's how it works on ArcadeSD, too.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 12:10:20 pm »
Dinky - I like it! I say let the final design emerge - don't frontload it...

You going to sell that mock-up on Craig's List for $1,628?

As ever, following your build(s) with interest...

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 05:50:12 am »
The mockup looks dinky but it's 180cm high by 54cm wide so not a lot shorter than the blip cabinet.

I'll keep the design to myself for the time being.

Artwork printing wise - who does laminated cpos in the U.K. now? I don't see it anymore on the pixart site.

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:08:16 pm
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 06:50:53 am »
I've been playing with the idea of using one of those B&O tv's in a cab but got a bit thrown off by the weird pcb system. Really curious how this ones will turn out.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 07:57:59 am »
I was looking over the frame again.  Man if it were just a bit deeper you could do a proper space invaders style of pointing the monitor to the back and using a sheet of glass to reflect it to the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 08:13:56 am »
I could definitely go deeper - the tv I'm using is REALLY shallow. I'll be decasing the tv this week so I'll do some more experimentation  ;)

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 09:35:23 am »
I was looking over the frame again.  Man if it were just a bit deeper you could do a proper space invaders style of pointing the monitor to the back and using a sheet of glass to reflect it to the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be epic. 

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 01:47:51 pm »
Artwork printing wise - who does laminated cpos in the U.K. now? I don't see it anymore on the pixart site.
Im in the same boat, mark. Pixart used to do textured vinyl, but now only seem to do floor vinyl. I sent them an email to see if they did the old stuff, but their reply was vague.
Im looking for some plain, black, textured and tough vinyl on a roll as im making modular cp units over time and thus need a stock. Let me know if you find anywhere!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 11:02:37 am »
If you're going to have a 4/8 way Servo stick on there, you might as well have the 3 button layout to support SHMUPS.  (ESP Ra.De comes to mind which has 3 buttons).

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 08:08:17 am »
So I found some time to put the monitor mount together. I’ve done this a couple of times now so have a pretty good idea about how to do it, although I still exercise a fair amount of caution when I decase the TV.

It’s a Bang and Olufsen MX4000 which I chose because I’m a big fan of the picture quality, and they are ridiculously shallow. The downside (as mentioned above) is that the circuit boards are a bit scary when you first see them as there are about 6 of them all connected together via a plastic cage.

Luckily this turned out to be far simpler than I feared. The plastic cage keeps everything together really nicely and although I had to detach a couple of cables to get the thing apart it worked pretty well.

One great thing about the cage is that it comes on a sliding mount. I guess this was so it could be serviced easily but it’s a great bonus as I reused the mounts to secure the circuit boards to my MDF frame.

I picked up some brackets for around £9 from Screwfix which were more than strong enough to hold the thing together so here’s where I’m at now.

Next job - the sides. I'm kinda excited to see how they are going to look...  ;D

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 06:20:54 pm »
OK... so this is piquing my interest in using a CRT on my next build... I'd imagine a B+O tube would be amazing quality butr wonder how  much you could pick these up for given B+O normally charge £9,452 for a remote control...

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 07:09:51 pm »
Suggestion:
I think a 30 degree angle on the marquee facing downward and a 30 degree toe kick would add a good amount of visual appeal from the front viewing angle and would give it more of a menacing stance to match the "invaders" name.

Overall, I like where this is going.  :)

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 01:06:56 pm »
The sides….

This part was a lot of fun (although lugging around 8x4 sheets of MDF in 30 degree heat takes some effort!)

I started by creating a template and tracing my side panel onto a piece of 9mm ply. This was purely so I could get the curves and angles correct without sanding for hours. The curve under the control panel was freehanded, but the top one was a bit trickier as I wanted it to be a certain shape. It took a couple of hours before I was fully happy but I’m pretty pleased with it.

Once cut I ran some black marker around the edge and took some photos fully side on. This was so when I create my sideart I’ll have the correct curve dimensions.

That done I flush cut the template onto 18mm MDF for the 2 sides.

The last time I attempted to do curves like this was on my Terminus cabinet back in 2009 so it was kinda fun to look through the old build pics of that to remind myself how it all went together!

So here’s the sides which should give you a much better idea of what the finished cabinet will look like… (the one on the left is obviously the template!)

Next job will be to cut the base, top, back and furring strips...

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 01:33:57 pm »
I like that profile.   :cheers:

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 08:23:54 pm »
I like that profile.   :cheers:

Thanks  :)

Went through a lot of revisions before i settled on that one. Gonna have to some kerf cuts to get the front panel to follow the curve underneath the cp but I've enough wood to mess it up a few times!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 08:25:35 pm »
I tried to design something similar once and could not pull it off.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 09:11:21 am »
Making the Base, Support strips and Dry build

Having to wait for some electrical bits and pieces for my panelled room so thought I’d take a couple of days out and do some work on the cabinet.

I started by making the base - all fairly straightforward. I'm using cabinet wheels on the back and levellers at the front. Took a couple of hours to get everything right but here it is (not terribly exciting but progress!)

That done i moved onto the support strips. I've used a combination of pine (for the straight bits) and ply for the curvy parts. I used a thicker piece for the base support as that's where most of the weight will fall so makes sense to spread it as much as possible.

This bit took quite a while - mostly due to the curved parts which i made by tracing the side panels and offsetting them 20mm from the edge. For each support i made an exact copy for the other side which made doing the second side much quicker.

Nothing is glued at this point. The base is screwed with 40mm screws - the rest using brad nails. Once I'm happy with the dry build I'll take it apart and glue properly.

At this point i cut the top, monitor shelf, control panel and back panel so was able to put the parts together to make sure everything was square and in the right place.

And next to the original mockup :)

I haven’t cut the front and top rear panel yet as I need to practice my kerfing first. It’s not a big rush through as I need to finish painting my panelling first (best to keep on the right side of the better half!)

In unrelated news my artwork is now 99% done so should be able to send that to the printers soon...

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 12:58:18 pm »
(best to keep on the right side of the better half!)
Why? Has she got an awesome left hook?

Loving yer work as ever, fella. Interested in your kerfing plans - how you approaching this? I once had to do that for skirting board (to accommodate my crap plastering..) and ended up making a jig for a tenon saw...

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 03:45:43 pm »
Why? Has she got an awesome left hook?

Left AND right. She knows where to kick too!

For the back curve I've just brought some 6mm bendy ply. I'll simply cut it to size and use the nail gun to hold it down.

The front is going to be a little more complicated so i need to put a bit of brain time into that one...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 03:54:06 pm »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:56:56 pm by Mike A »

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 05:43:07 am »
Mounting the displays

Hi all!

A fairly small update - I added the main CRT to the cabinet. I ended up setting it back a little further than I’d originally planned because I thought it looked a better when standing in front of it.

I also mounted the LCD onto 12mm ply using the VESA mounts and secured them into the sides and flush against the top of the cabinet. This helps ensure it’s straight and maximises the space available

I still have about a 1cm gap behind the TV which is close as I really want to get to the back panel. Here’s a shot from the top showing how shallow the screen is (and how tight it all is!)

...and finished by using some cardboard and leftover wood to get an idea for how much bezel space I need. For some reason I keep thinking of Robocop when I look at this… I think because the marquee area looks like his visor.

Probably going to tackle the back panel next - and then the front panel and control panel which will mean the woodwork will be finished.  ;D

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 10:16:04 am »
Thank goodness Masters are still at work in this place.

That CRT looks tits.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 03:22:14 pm »
CRT for gameplay, LCD for a dynamic marquee?  I like where this is going (and I'm not even a fan of dynamic marquees!). I was just saying there has been a lot of uninspiring projects, but this is actually turning out better than I initially thought when I was just looking at the frame.  The design of the cabinet's shape is actually growing on me!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 07:42:17 pm »
CRT for gameplay, LCD for a dynamic marquee?

Yep - i had thought about using a 42 inch widescreen for the front to show bezels and marquees but it just felt wrong using an LCD for the main display when you can still get decent scart TVs in the U.K. 

The mockup was purely to test the ergonomics. I think the final design will make much more sense when the artwork is on as it should tie everything together.

Hopefully...  :)

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 01:27:21 pm »
Cutting the back panels

Or more specifically - the top panel as that's the interesting one.

I'd already glued the wood to support the curve so i picked up some 6mm bendy ply (correction: mdf) which i tacked and glued onto the supports. I had to use a few clamps to keep it tight against the top while the glue dried but it looks ok.

I'll have to use some wood filler to cover the nail holes and hide any discrepancies but overall it pretty much went as well as i hoped.

I even got to upcycle some of the mockup :)

Unlike the front panel… I had a couple of ideas on how to do this as it's basically curving wood in a couple of different places. I thought I'd try doing my own kerf cuts and while it partly worked it's nowhere near as clean as I'd like. I think i just put too much stress on the wood. I'll post tomorrow what i did for the sake of showing my mistakes but i do have another idea of how i can do it which i think will be more successful. Or maybe I'll need a plan C…!

Edited as used mdf and not ply.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:09:37 pm by markc74 »

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
Re: The Invaders: 26 July. Kerfing sucks
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 06:49:42 pm »
Things don’t always work out like you’d hope…

So - in the interest of showing all - mistakes included I thought I’d post my first attempt at the front panel. Even though it didn’t work…

I started by cutting some 12mm MDF for the panel and marking out where the bends needed to be:

Then nailed a baseline in place and cut up a load of 9mm strips of MDF so I could use them to mark out the kerf lines

So far so good. Each strip of MDF marks out each line that I’m going to cut

Experimented with how deep I could go before the wood became unstable and settled on about 10mm with 2mm left for the front face

Cut some holes for the speakers and mini-marquee/admin panel and despite a few rough edges it was looking ok…

Then. Disaster. The MDF totally split around the holes, as well as bevelling at the front.

Bah. I’d say it was 3 hours down the drain but if anything it’s reinforced my resolve to get it to work. I’ve just brought some flexible plywood that looks a lot more robust so I’ll attempt that at the weekend. If that doesn’t work then it’s back to the drawing board. What I’m trying to avoid is cutting the front panel out of 30~ strips of wood and gluing them together.

I’ll see how well the bendy ply works at the weekend...

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 07:29:45 pm »
Hard Cheese, Mark.. Mind you, he who dares wins..

Those lines are looking Kelly Brook, though...

Would imagine ply is gonna behave better.

Failing that, you could always steam jig it? Not MDF obviously, but some thin softwood?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 07:41:57 pm »
Cheers Stigzler,

That sounds like it might work - I'll try the ply and see how I get on first as I've already bought it. I've got enough for 2 attempts before I have to revert to plan C. :)

I dont know if you've sorted your artwork printing out yet(?), but I've been doing some research and will be going with Olly from ArcadeArtShop (https://www.arcadeartshop.com/). It's UK based. Price seems excellent for what you're getting and from what I've seen posted on Jamma+ the quality seems spot on.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 07:51:31 pm »

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 08:08:02 pm »
http://www.kerfkore.com/

HaRuMaN - I keep watching your avatar looking for the join and I can't find it...!

I'll look into that as well. I'm bloody minded when I want to get something to work and I know it should be possible. I don't know what it is but every build I do I make the front panel more complicated than everything else combined!

The problem I had - and I tried it a couple of times - wasn't the first curve, it was the second. Something about bending the wood one way and then the other just seemed to stress the wood/MDF too much. The flexi-ply that I've got seems much more forgiving so I'm feeling positive/optimistic/slightly drunk(!) that it can be done.

Cheers all  :cheers:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2017, 08:19:32 pm »
Please tell me you're going to do something unique with the artwork and not just photochop up the original Space Invaders art?