Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LED Button Question  (Read 2285 times)

Schnookums

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 08:17:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
LED Button Question
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:53:37 am »
So, I figure before I fly off the handle I'll make certain I'm not just making so simple noob error. Installed buttons, just finished wiring the LED buttons and...some of the buttons look rather different than some of the others. It's definitely the button, not the LED (I already confirmed that.) So.....

Is this something that I could have caused while installing the buttons?
Is this something that I could fix on my own?
Is this just the nature of the beast when it comes to diffusers and I should expect this level of variance?

I appreciate any guidance with this, I've attached a picture to show what I mean, the issue is definitely the most obvious with the blue buttons (I have 4 green buttons and one is noticeably brighter than  the other 3, and out of the 8 red buttons  1 is brighter than the rest.)

NickG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 05:25:23 am
  • Dig.
    • My Projects Page
Re: LED Button Question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 05:02:20 am »
If you already tried swapping buttons to other led, if you are using diffuse inserts, have you tried to flip them?.  If you are using button-bottom hole for led lighting, are the led going the same depth on each button?

Schnookums

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 11:40:45 am »
I'll check again, but it had looked like the diffuser was only meant to go one way. I already swapped buttons around to confirm it wasn't the LED lamp causing the problem. There's nothing to indicate that the led lighting is going to a different depth but I'll double check that as well when I get home form work (But I really don't think that's the problem).

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:01:56 pm »
did you buy all buttons from same seller/site? They clearly look different.

Schnookums

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 09:10:05 pm »
I did, purchased one of the arcade control panel kits from Gameroomsolutions. Maybe he orders them in bulk and got some different/bad ones in a batch of 'em?

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 10:15:26 am »
It looks like the distance between the bulb and diffuser is different between the buttons. Are all LED bulbs the same? Taller bulbs will illuminate the diffuser in a different manner than shorter ones. And can you see if the length of the button housing is different? A longer housing again could cause the bulb to illuminate the diffuser differently than a shorter housing.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 10:19:33 am »
also another note looking at them. the washed out ones look like the chinese style ones, its a more brittle material. the ones with the focused light in the center look more of a happs material so-to-speak versus the chinese ones.

Schnookums

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 11:42:55 am »
It looks like the distance between the bulb and diffuser is different between the buttons. Are all LED bulbs the same? Taller bulbs will illuminate the diffuser in a different manner than shorter ones. And can you see if the length of the button housing is different? A longer housing again could cause the bulb to illuminate the diffuser differently than a shorter housing.

I did swap the buttons around to different spots just to make sure that it was the button/diffuser rather then the led/housing. I can double-check the bulbs and housing, but there was nothing to make me think that there was a difference in height on them.

Schnookums

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 05:28:26 pm »
I'm probably going to just order some replacements off of GGG. I needed to order some stuff from there anyways and much as I hate to admit it, I'd rather just spend a bit of money rather than deal with the retailer's customer service again.