Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Custom game controller - crazy idea?  (Read 2885 times)

Heath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2017, 08:34:33 pm
Custom game controller - crazy idea?
« on: June 06, 2017, 08:52:23 pm »
It's been forever since I've been to this forum!  So long in fact, that I forgot I even had an account until I tried to register and it said my address was already in use.  Anyway, I was working on a cabinet a few years ago but ended up selling everything before it was completed.  I just didn't have the room for it.  But, I just updated my Raspberry Pi I use for Kodi to be dual boot with RetroPie and I'm getting the itch again.  Still no room for a big cabinet, so I'm trying to stay small and simple. 

I bought a couple of cheap USB game pads to use with RetroPie and find them sorely lacking.  Some games just need a proper joystick to play.  My favorite joystick ever was the Mindscape PowerPlayer.  It was a joystick mounted on top of a pistol grip with a single trigger fire button.  It was so comfortable and easy to use.  I used it on my Atari, Commodore 64, and Amiga.  Sadly, my dog got a hold of it one day and chewed it up.

So my plan is to take some inspiration from that joystick.  The arcade joysticks I find at Ultimarc and such just too big for a handheld controller.  I have several 3D printers (and know how to use them and I'm getting a lot better at CAD design software).  Searching Thingiverse today, I found this compact joystick.  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:847674   Which seems like a perfect starting point.  There are a ton of pistol grips on Thingiverse that I could remix to add a trigger button using a microswitch.  And I might could come up with a way to add a couple more buttons.  Maybe one under the thumb and a very small one on the joystick base to be used as the coin insert button.  That's my idea for the controller. 

The next part of the plan is the "console."  Design a box to hold the Pi and a Mini-Pac (or whatever may be better suited for this now as it has been a while since I've researched this stuff).  USB from Mini-Pac to the Pi is easy.  USB extensions from the other ports on the PI to the box for plugging in other controllers, USB drives, etc. 

To connect my custom joystick controller to the Pi/Mini-Pac console, I'm thinking I'll use Cat5 cable.  Using RJ45 jacks on the console case and on in the base of the controller, I can make a Cat5 cable whatever length I need within reason.  If I'm remembering the wiring correctly, 8 wires in the Cat5 cable could support a joystick with 4 switches and 3 buttons - 4 wires for the 4 switches for the joystick, 3 wires for buttons, and the last for a shared ground.  If I plan it right, I could later build a larger multi-player control panel with a bunch of controls and connect to the console using multiple Cat5 cables. 

Is this a crazy idea?  Do I need to rethink the whole concept?  Or is it so crazy it just might work?

Heath

• Offline Offline
Re: Custom game controller - crazy idea?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 11:53:10 am »
Quick sketch.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:51:50 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:53:50 pm »
no need to reinvent the wheel, there are plenty of smaller joysticks out there (mostly for automation and system controls.)

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/joystick-switches/8252583/

Heath

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 10:37:16 am »
Great point!  As I've thought about it more, I was thinking about using one of those cheap Zippy joysticks I've seen on eBay.  I can bend over the tabs on the switches and replace the wide metal top plate for a slightly more compact base.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 11:04:45 am »
For years I tried to wrap my head around a compact bass guitar for travelling... turns out someone made the perfect unit... called a Wing Bass. Following their philosophy - use full sized components to retain an authentic feel and avoid any risk of making it too much of a novelty. I can't even list off all of the proof of concept ideas I've had that sit in a corner because I wasn't thinking practical enough, and lack ambition to do it again the right way  :lol

Personally I don't like the idea of having too much lead between buttons and the board they connect to, but that is just me, and my audio upbringing fogging my head up. An encoder with soldered connections would be a lot smaller, and just leave you with a USB to make the connection. I would think Cat5 over time can take a beating as it wasn't designed to be used as a controller cord. At the very least, use stranded cables.

I have a Gravis game pad that I obtained for a portable project because the D pad has a small threaded insert to allow one to screw in a small joystick. Similar to the old Sega Master System D pad's that had this too. I like the idea of something like that due to compactness, and the fact that I can alternate between arcades and consoles. The PCB and microswitches the Gravis use take up a lot less space than traditional arcade switches as well... maybe if you have a drill, patience, some epoxy and a few threaded inserts, you can convert those sticks to use a small joystick?

I like the idea and what you're going for. I would look at lots of similar units to what you're envisioning and see what works and doesn't. As a Colecovision owner, the idea of a decent handheld arcade controller is just a wet dream :lol

Heath

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 12:37:48 pm »
This is what I'm trying to replicate. 

It was my favorite joystick ever.  I know I could buy a used one and use an adapter/converter to make it work on the Pi.  But I enjoy trying to make things.  Or at least thinking about trying to make things!  LOL

Do you know of any other similar style joystick?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:14:28 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 03:11:39 pm »
That thing is an abomination.

Heath

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 06:49:08 pm »
That thing is an abomination.

:laugh: It is really my favorite joystick I've ever used.  From the Atari 2600 to my Amiga 600, it was the best.  Very comfortable and very responsive.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 09:53:37 pm »
With the shape of that stick it looks more like a failed sex toy! LMAO

But if thats your thing maybe try something like lil shawn mentioned mounted to the top of a scalextric controller?

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 10:36:39 am »
This is what I'm trying to replicate. 

It was my favorite joystick ever.  I know I could buy a used one and use an adapter/converter to make it work on the Pi.  But I enjoy trying to make things.  Or at least thinking about trying to make things!  LOL

Do you know of any other similar style joystick?

Easy - Buy A Colecovision Super Action Controller. It's already got 90% of what you ask for, has a fun look and can be had free from most people as the innards usually crap out quickly... I have 3 I am in the process of repairing, don't see why you couldn't use one. There is a guide on how to put microswitches into one too somewhere IIRC. Could even reuse some of the buttons and replace the keypad with something neat like a control panel or something? Definitely fit a piZero in there... or a stripped Pi3 board maybe? It'd be tight.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 03:14:21 am »
Well it seems you have the wherewithal to make your joystick of your dreams.  Why not build the joystick via a 3d printer and learn from the experience, while giving back to the communities involved?  Start a project thread and let the community here help you build it.  Or if you are lazy buy one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mindscape-Power-Players-Joystick-for-Atari-2600-Commodore-64-Brand-new-Sealed-/201860673283
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:17:05 am by ark_ader »
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 04:45:59 pm »
Reminds me of the Epyx 500xj  Now that was a good joystick.