Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: wood least likely to split  (Read 4241 times)

Kangum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2018, 07:46:20 am
wood least likely to split
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:04:27 pm »
What types of wood besides mdf that could be good for staining could I choose from that wont split to badly from screws or cutting. Also I would like to use battens for support. Is battens just scrap wood or is there a specific type of wood that is good for this use. What do I ask for or what do I look for specifically at the store. I am not familiar enough with wood to know the types of wood that split and the types that usually don't and ways I can prevent splitting. I bought some 2x2 to help support my monitor and it simply split in half when I put a screw in it. so it was worthless.

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:53:10 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: wood least likely to split
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 11:35:10 pm »
Drill pilot holes and your wood won't split.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:59:23 am »
If the woods splitting you are either going to close to the edge (stay central if possible), over tightening it or using to bigger screws.

Battens tend to be squared lengths of timber 1" square upwards depending what you are using it for. 2" square is more than enough for a cab.

I tend to use number 8 screws for assembly jobs and as mike said if you pre drill holes with a pilot drill it will make life a bit easier.

Kangum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2018, 07:46:20 am
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 01:40:07 pm »
thanks for the tips guys!

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 12:47:31 pm »
Ive had battens that were square, predrilled and used glue... always check with a square before letting things dry... may save you some agony  :angry: